Battle Metal review by Turisas

• Released: Aug 30, 2004
Turisas: Battle Metal

Sounds awesome. Great use of the violins and accordions with the normal metal instruments. The album makes you feel as though you yourself are marching to battle or sitting in the local tavern. Some people will not like it because they may not like the use of classical instruments mixed with the average rock instruments (guitars, drums etc).

The lyrics are awesome. They go well with the viking theme, as they sing about getting drunk, going to battle, travelling etc. I really like the singers voice. It has a husky sort of sound, which would be expected from a viking I suppose. Some people may not like the voice if they are not into the metal genre, as there is shouting etc. They also may not like the lyrics because they may not be interested in the subjects.

Personally, I love this album. It comes in with Victoriae & Triumphi Dominus which begins the album perfectly and then merges in with As Torches Rise which just sounds awesome. A few tracks later you have great songs such as The Messenger, One More and Sahti Waari, which you can't help but tap your foot to. The album also contains the well known songs Battle Metal and Rex Regi Rebellis. I recommend this to anybody into the viking/folk/battle metal genres and would definately say it is worth a listen. For some people, I would think it is either a love it or hate it issue. It is very different from your normal mainstream genres and a lot of people may not like it.

ordinary_story
    all i have to say is ... BATTLE METAL!!!! a simply must own album for fans of epic folk/viking metal or just guys who like to friggin rock.!!
    Nizzi
    It's a very good first album, and nothing like I have ever heard before!