Silent Machine Review

Twelve Foot Ninja: Silent Machine
Released: Nov 2, 2012
Genre: Alternative Metal, Experimental Rock, Funk Metal, Fusion
Label: Volkanik
Twelve Foot Ninja are definitely one of the more diverse and innovative bands that you'll hear.
 8.3
 8.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Silent Machine Reviewed by: thrasher726, on september 06, 2016

Sound: Kin's vocals on this album are very solid. Having to accompany a variety of different styles and influences, they always seem to fit the music perfectly regardless of whether or not he's doing anything truly spectacular. His shining moments always seem to be in the ability to create unique and memorable melodies. The band uses a variety of different instruments, some parts are done with acoustic guitar in all these different styles that I'm too close-minded to even know the name for. There is definitely some funk and other styles that just appear out of nowhere. Definitely one of the more diverse and innovative bands that you'll hear. They will create incredible atmospheres and then break it all with a crushing djent riff and a catchy as hell vocal line. // 8

Lyrics: I'm not hugely into lyrics, but they sound pretty creative and well done. Everything the band does is well thought out and they definitely take the time to really create the best piece of art they are capable of. The themes are ninjas and what not, and it's definitely something that hasn't been done before in this fashion so it's interesting to listen to it and hear the different ideas at play. The singing is on point. He sings in more of a lower tone compared to a lot of vocalists, and utilizes mid-range melodies and what not as well as screams in some songs. // 8

Overall Impression: It's not really like any other bands. It doesn't compare. You can't compare them to "djent" because they have all these other styles and themes that no other band has ever put in their music to my knowledge. I like every single song on the album, but the ones that seem to stick out the most to me are "Coming for You," "Mother Sky" and "Vanguard." But literally every single song is catchy as hell, usually has some great riffs and overall it's own "theme" or feeling. Definitely worth checking out.

"Coming for You" is the lead single and it's rightfully so, it captures the bands entire sound very well all in one 3:00 piece of music. Just listen to the song yourself and point out all the different stylistic changes, it'll surprise you at first but eventually you may grown to love it as I have. I saw them live as well and they put on a great show!

It's very hard for me to criticize this album. I don't think I'm capable of creating anything much better myself so it SEEMS to be super solid to me. I think that of course you can always be catchier, you can always create better atmospheres or more interesting sections of the music. So if there was anything they could physically change, it would be to enhance the overall sound to a new level. Some of the songs towards the end of the album get a tad boring so that could be mitigated but overall it's a great piece of music and if they could keep doing things like this then I wouldn't complain one bit! I would definitely buy this album again if anything ever happened to it. // 8

Comments