Bloody Kisses review by Type O Negative

• Released: Jan 1, 1993
Type O Negative: Bloody Kisses

Type 0 Negative is a good group who mix doom, new wave, goth, and metal. The album has it's ups (Black No.1, Summer Breeze) and it's downs (the sound clips, song 13). However one that that eventually got to me was that the cd was littered with these pointless sound clips. Ranging from a baby's crying blending in with machinery and moans, to a ridiculous sample of a motorcycle, they take up space on the cd. They are best described as filler nothing more. The actual songs shine especially Black No.1, The cover of Summer Breeze, and Christian Woman, and the hilarious Kill All the White People. Bloody Kisses is the longest track and I feel that it could have been done better for it's length. However Summer Girl gets boring very quickly, and both Frozen, and We Hate Everyone slow down from being uptempo gothic new wave (is that an oxymoron?) to agonizingly slow killing all momentum the song had. Frozen in Particular is around 7-8 minutes in length four of those being a very boring break with two minutes being serenaded by a man singing Yo-ho over and over. and the other two being a flanged voice singing two verses. But when T.O.N. does it right they do it wicked well. Closing out the album is I Can't Lose You, a nice piece of work with sitar and layered vocals. It cuts off suddenly feeling incomplete but I suppose this is the way it was intended to be.

Good lyrics especially in Christian Woman, Black No. 1, and Frozen. The low singing does take some getting used to, but it perfectly complements the music. The lyrics do get a bit boring I mean how many times can you say I'm miserable (according to Dashboard Confessional the record stands at four I believe correct me if I'm wrong). Some are perfectly suited to the music such as Christian Woman, and others seem a bit out of place such as in Summer Girl. Not bad work at all though.

Overall This cd is worth getting however if you aren't sure you'll like them get it used or download a couple tracks before you buy it. I would probably buy this if I lost it or it got stolen, but I might not. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks for it though. This cd is comparable to a much heavier Joy Division but different than most of their material. It's a good intro to the band easy to listen to and perfect for when you're depressed.

swampthing1117
    I don't think you really "get" type o negative enough to write a review of them. This is definately one of their best albums if not the best.
    Shandawg
    rednightmare
    Black No. 1 is one of the best songs I've ever heard..and Blood Hawk is very silly. Christian Woman and Summer Breeze are amazing as well.
    mmanson
    I would definetely rebuy it if i lost it, I love this album and this band. Most people think they get type o and they don't. I like the slow "depressing" songs. Some people find em depressing but I don't. This is one of my favorite Type o albums along with World Coming Down which is overlooked, unfortunately.
    jiggy low-ballz
    This is the one that got me into type-o. The first time I saw the Black No. 1 video I was in high scool and high as a kite and I became convinced it was one of the coolest songs ever, 15 years later I still think it is. That one comes out at every party I have ever been to, and I have been to many.
    Smithsc
    Shandawg wrote: I agree with swampthing1117, i have every single type o record and love the band to death. They also don't take themselves to seriously and a lot of it is poking fun at themselves in their own twisted sort of way. Oh, btw its Black number one arse face, not blood.
    yeah wtf? blood?