October Rust review by Type O Negative

• Released: Aug 20, 1996
Type O Negative: October Rust

October Rust maintains some of the elements of Bloody Kisses but overall takes the band's sound in a new direction, moving away from the guitar driven, 10 minute tracks of it's predecessor and moving towards shorter songs with a stronger emphasis on keyboards, guitar effects, and atmospherics. Aside from the progression of the band's sound, the CD has a much more consistent pacing than Bloody Kisses. Rather than throw a fast, humorous song like "We Hate Everyone" between a mid-tempo track like "Set Me On Fire" and a dirgeful, depressing ballad like "Bloody Kisses," October Rust slows down the tempo several songs at a time, clumping the slower songs together and only occasionally picking up the pace with songs like "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" and "Cinnamon Girl." Overall the band sounds much tighter this time around and the result is a CD that sounds more focused and keeps the listener more interested in what happens next with each song.

The lyrics on October Rust deal with the same themes of love and death as those on Bloody Kisses, but without such a blunt delivery. They are just as somber as ever, but written in such a fashion that they actually sound like lyrics as opposed to sounding like angry love letters with background music. As can be expected, October Rust has it's share of tongue-in-cheek humor ("My Girlfriend's Girlfriend") and Peter Steele's morbid, "almost too serious to be funny" humor, such as in the song "Red Water." Overall, the lyrics seem much more thought-out and are much better written this time around. Lyrically, the band took quite a step forward from their previous work without sacrificing any of the things that made their lyrics enjoyable to begin with.

If you are a fan of Type O Negative, there really is no reason why you would not like the cd. If you preferred their older sound, you would likely not be as fond of it as you would be of Bloody Kisses, but it is nevertheless a gem to have in your library. There's a little something here for everyone, whether it's the quirky humor of "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend," the faster, more upbeat sound of "Burnt Flowers Fallen," or the dark, haunting sound of "Wolf Moon." If you consider yourself a fan of the band, I suggest that you check out October Rust and see for yourself. It will not disappoint.

evilinvader88
    One of the greatest albums ever created. The music is beautiful and every track is great. It don't get much better than this musically.
    USAPeavey
    Great band. October Rust is actually one of my least favs from them though. "Life is Killing Me" is my personal favorite.
    RancidRabbit
    This is the album that got me into Type O in the first place, i consider this my favorite by them and one of my all time favorite albums. not to be repetitive but World Coming Down is damn close.
    flying_phoenix
    I have to agree with World Coming Down being their best, but this one is definitely second. Love the cover of Cinnamon Girl. Type O are seriously one of the best rock bands ever.
    flying_phoenix
    I have to agree that World Coming Down is their best, but this one is definitely second. Type O are one of the best rock bands ever, and Peter Steele is one of the coolest frontmen. Always gonna be one of my favorites.
    Kivarenn82
    whuzzah! type o negative. the boy band for metal heads. i've been picking up their cd's since about.. 1996? no matter how many new bands i find, i frequently find myself coming back to ToN. brilliant song writers, every one of them.
    BaptizedinFire
    Got this one a couple of weeks ago, I really like it although it's maybe 20 minutes too long. Best songs: Red Water, Green Man, Love You To Death
    swave75
    I love the Green Man. It's one of my favorites from them!!! Great reviews!!!