Slow, Deep And Hard review by Type O Negative

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Type O Negative: Slow, Deep And Hard

This is, without a doubt, the harshest and heaviest album ever released by the quartet, and vocally Pete's weakest moment. Containing only 7 songs, 2 of which would hardly even count as songs, with one being complete silence, and the other being a "instrumental" that contains no instrumentation of any kind. It is also they're shortest album. This is an album that only a true fan could love, although, as TON improved later they still continue to play a number of these songs. The guitar's distortion was obviously cheap, but they still manage to make it work.

lyrically, this album has some pretty decent angry lyrics that most metal fans would enjoy. These lyrics include: "And now I give to you: Jackhammerape!", "I know you f--king someone else", and "I'll kill you tonight!". But in comparison with Pete's other work this is certainly his least inspired.

The thing about this album is, despite how rough and unlikeable some of the songs can be with Pete's very rough and limited voice (at this point), once they improved as a band and Pete's true vocal abilities were shown( a perfect example of this is the great "live" album "The Origin Of The Feces") the true quality of these songs were also shown. But despite this the album still has a number of highlights, such as the opener "Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty Of Infidelity", "Der Untermensch"(particularly part B "Waste Of Life") and the closer, "Gravitational Constant: G= 6.67 x 10(-8) cm(-3) gm(-1) sec(-2) (Yes, that's the whole title). It's actually quite amazing to listen to this album, and then listen to the exact same songs on the second "live" album "The Origin Of The Feces", and hear what an amazing difference there is in Pete's voice. Honestly, tho I've learned to love this album, but I'd recommend that you listen to "The Origin Of The Feces" before picking up this record.

mmanson
    This album is good, but not the best. Pete said he would have liked Bloody Kisses to have been the 1st and this, just a demo but it didn't work out that way. Pete was upset over it because this whole album was written in only a few hours and he didn't think it should've been the 1st album.
    thedevil
    I agree, but I definetly think that there are some keepers on this album tho, Infidelity and Gravity rock hard, especially the way Pete sings now, as opposed to the way he sang on this album, which was more like Carnivore.
    thedevil
    I've gotten into Carnivore in the last couple of years and F*cking love it! Took time to get used to the vocals, but once I did, I loved em! makes me think a bit differently about Slow,Deep and Hard...