Tides Of Awakening Review

7.4
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Tides Of Awakening Reviewed by: The Kreator, on january 04, 2010

Sound: Funeral Doom Metal. Infamous for it's slooooooooow, crushing sound, with a beautiful and depressing atmosphere. The same cannot be said for Tyranny's Tides of Awakening. Though it is incredibly slow, and insanely crushing, with each drum hit pounding your head, the atmosphere is far from beautiful. This is some of the most ugly, intense, and hateful music my ears have ever had the chance to hear. Long songs trudge on, starting small, and building to massive climaxes, or starting climatically and leading into (very) atmospheric bits. The atmospheric bits are noteworthy of being "spacey," and sound as if you are floating around, lost and confused yourself. But, I digress. If Lovecraft's stories and descriptions were made into sonic form, this would be it. The only cons would be that sometimes there is so much going on at once that certain instruments get lost in the mix. This is minimal, though. // 9

Lyrics: The theme of this great Funeral Doom band is mostly Lovecraftian mythology, and it suits well. The lyrics, as with most "epic" funeral doom, are elegantly arranged and fantastically worded. The vocals are generally growled, though they are not conventional. Sounding like Cthulhu himself, the vocalist destroys all with no remorse, with a deep howl that is very loud in the mix. // 10

Overall Impression: I was blown away the first time I listened to this epic masterpiece, and I still am every time I listen to it. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, but when you are the replay value is endless. To this day I have never gotten myself past how crushing, and dare I say, brutal this record is. Recommended to all who enjoy doom metal, and all who enjoy a mystical atmosphere as well as a crushing wall of sound. // 10

Comments