All That You Can't Leave Behind review by U2

• Released: Oct 31, 2000
U2: All That You Can't Leave Behind

As soon as the opening track, "Beautiful Day", begins to play, you know that the album's going to be something special, which it is. The Edge uses a mix of beautiful chord sequences and guitar effects to transport you to this whole other world that only U2 could create. It may sound like being on drugs at first, but trust me it's all good. There's not a truely bad track on here, sound wise, but "Wild Honey" sounds a bit like the sound-track for some kid's show, set in a garden somewhere. "New York" isn't too fantastic either, as it just sound like it's their to add extra time to the album (it is, after all, 5:30 long!). The best tracks, by far, have to be "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" and "Beautiful Day", obviously, but the tracks that don't get the credit they deserve should be up there too, like "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Walk On".

Bono has really pushed his boundries with this record, both vocally and through his writing ability. I don't think that there's any other singer out there who can replicate his vocals, though I'm sure that many have tried. His melody and harmony with the music in tracks like "Kite" and "In A Little While" is really quite phenomenal. It's the vocals on an album like this that you just can't re-create. Alot of people rip Bono for his vocals, and for his ranting on about the world, but I think that his vocals are amazing, and I agree about the ranting.

I love the tracks that are listenable on this album, but some of the tracks annoy me after a while ("New York", "Grace"). The singles on here ("Beautiful Day", "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" and "Elevation") were released for all the right reasons - because they were clear hits right from the start. This is probobly my favourite U2 album, along-side with "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and "Achtung Baby!". What it lacks in riffs and guitar master-class, it makes up for in melody and precision of writing.

Incubus=Science
    Musicman must listen to Madonna or something becuase obviously his perception of music is heavily distorted. U2 is the best band that ever decided to etch lyric on paper.
    TheEdge48
    dude, u2 is one of the best bands and they are the best son writers. who do u like MusicMan666? Pink Floyd(who sux). and isnt 666 the devils number? u dont know music MusicMan666. U2 has some of the best songs ever. who hasnt heard beautiful day of desire??
    Son_of_Kyuss
    Alright, anyone who says U2 rules and Pink Floyd sucks...WOW...get a ****ing soul you heathen...U2 havn't put out a solid album from front to back in maybe 20 years...what is so shitty about Pink Floyd? Like defend U2 all you like, I would just love to hear what is so unbearable about Pink Floyd? Is it the fact they invented concept albums that link every song that tell a different story thematically into one major theme? Is it the fact they pushed the genre of psychedelic into something accessible and cohesive? Or is it the fact they've done something that means something and you are just a sour old fart on the internet that hasn't done anything with themselves?
    belavista man
    I agree, partly. Pink floyd are a great band and have acheived alot, so ripping them like that is wrong, but U2 have produced alot of good albums. Just because a band changes doesn't mean that they suddenly can't produce a "solid album". Stop all of your bickering and get on with life, boyo's!
    belavista man
    Look, I'm not going to get into an argument about nothing here. I was tryin to stick up for you both in this and, obviously, Son_of_Kyuss doesn't respect that, so I'll let your beloved Floyd get ripped, see if I care.