No Line On The Horizon review by U2

• Released: Mar 3, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
U2: No Line On The Horizon

If there's anybody out there that thought "Get On Your Boots" was a little lacking for the premiere single of the album, you may want to sit down. No Line On The Horizon is most definitely disappointing for all the hype it's carried. It's as though it's abstract and I just can't make out what it's supposed to be. Every track on the album is long and drawn out, and seems to miss the mark creatively. I hate to say the band's lost their touch, but if you stumble across it could you send it their way?

Overall, I'd say the lyrics aren't bad. U2's always been a band with mostly original lyrics that stray from other bands. I can't say they're the most compelling, the most moving, or the catchiest, but they do carry a certain mystique and are something to look in to. Songs like Cedars of Lebanon and White As Snow are among my personal favorites as far as lyrics go. Get On Your Boots is something else as well.

The album altogether is a loss for U2, and a disappointment for fans. In comparison to other albums, it's something new, but that's nothing to get excited about. I don't see much potential for the charts on this one, and while I sometimes prefer albums that are more secretive, this is a definite exception. If you want to give it a listen, be sure to try on "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy", "Stand Up Comedy", and "No Line On The Horizon" for the best impression.

RGshred88
    MasterExploder0 wrote: The Edge sucks
    why because he doesnt shred aimlessly and actually puts feeling into his riffs?
    jjpn99.niemann
    MasterExploder0 probably thinks the guitar work by the Ramones was amazing. The Edge is fabulous. He invented atmospheric rock with TUF
    TwistedLogic
    From the review provided by Ramirez I get the impression that Edge, Langlois and Lillywhite were trying to recreate "The Unforgettable Fire," which was an atmospheric gem. The difference between No line and Unnforgettable fire might be that TUF was made a statement partly because it was sort of an experiment in how to present songs; whereas No Line might fail because the desire to experiment and allow the band to retain some level of avant guarde mystique may have overtaken the songwriting part of the equation. Nice observation Carlos.
    tilinmyowngrave
    Kastöm
    TheEsupremacy wrote: This cd is on par for disappointment of the year thus far. Nothing memorable about it.
    Nah, frankly I don't find this album disappointing at the least, that is of course because I knew beforehand that it was going to suck.
    MoshMaster101
    Absolute toss. After hitting form for the previous two albums, I thought they might rediscover that special something that died with Achtung Baby. Unfortunately they've made an atrocious album full of the same old pretentious rubbish. Why they're still judged to be so important today I don't know.
    Brasseye81
    yonmwar : good album, bad reviews.
    err 3 against 1. you lose. Bad album. fact. Listen to Joshua Tree or Boy instead.
    Brasseye81
    A classic example of a band who were absolutely awesome back in the day churning out weak, bland shite for the masses in the asda and tesco shopping queues. Tiresome. Can't wait for them to branch out into charity and heavily publicized statements that smack of hypocrisy, blissfully unaware of the *****s they have become. Rant over.
    Bgoodman
    jason white
    HagstromSpeed wrote: They got rid of, "This month in Metal," for this nonsense headline...no one cares anymore about this over glamorized has been band...like south park brilliantly portrays - bono is the biggest p.o.s. on earth lol
    no one cares huh? obviously some ppl care since these people took the time to write out these reviews and all these other people took time to write out their views not to meantion the millions of people who buy their albums go to their massive staduim shows but hey anyone could do that right? oh btw i love that south park episode HOT HOT HOT HOT!! makes me laugh everytime
    In America
    Moment of Surrender will hopefully become a 'U2 classic' along with Pride and One
    Leo_Bloom
    NLOTH is really relatable to the entire Pop and Zooropa block back in the nineties. People wrote it off as trash because it lacked the substance of Achtung and Joshua Tree and mainly centered upon experimental pushes. Did it work? At moments. I personally prefer Pop and Zooropa over ATYCB and HTDAAB. They weren't accessable. Thats the main problem with NLOTH - a lack of accessibility. Tracks like FEZ, Cedars of Lebanon, and White As Snow are quintessencial U2 tracks. Much like Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank, its just an expansion of what work they've done. Like it or not, the idea was to polarize. Its achieved that. Bravo!
    In America
    best since Achtung Baby, not because Rolling Stone or Q said so, because for me it is.
    eastwoodfan92
    Achtung Baby might be my favorite U2 album. My mother is a HUGE U2 fan and she really enjoys the new album, but she doesn't really listen to lyrics and analyze things because I agree the lyrics on this album just are not up to par. We saw them in October and some of the lyrics going by on the screen made me think, "WTF?"
    lacrosse28
    In my opinion, NLOTH is a great album. It does not compare to most of their previous albums. Some people will not like it. Now then, I'm a pretty big U2 fan and I honestly like just about everything they have ever put out (even some songs off of Pop) and I can completely understand that some big fans will not like it. It is different from their other albums. Of course, that is U2's style: making albums that have diversity and, in such, making somewhat experimental music. I didn't like this one at first and it just grew on me. As far as the death metal arguments go, death metal is a completely different genre. Personally, I cannot stand it. Other people love it. Everyone has different musical tastes and that is something people need to realize. The only thing you have to admit is that they have musical talent and respect them for that.
    daguy1234
    "I don't like U2, it's too abstract" "from what I hear, this album sucks "They need to stop making albums" You people really piss me off. All music is abstract, except for death metal and screamo, that takes no taletn whatsoever, except for speed and a really deep voice that doesn't get sore after screaming in the microphone forever. People... U2 is an abstract band in my opinion. All of their music is abstract feeling. You try to make music for many many years and see if you can keep the same exact sound and please everyone. A lot of people today are all about touchy-feely for music, or just screaming into a microphone. Not everyone can shred at guitar. Not everyone can shred at guitar. You can be a really good guitar player, but not be able to play 200bpm. Now, I for one, like Dragonforce, U2, Phish, Rush, Bush, Bon Jovi, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, New Radicals, Semisonic, Keiko Matsui, Vienna Teng, Enya, and a whole lot of other bands. Music is just supposed to make you feel good. It doesn't matter if it sounds good, it's supposed to make you FEEL good. Ignore the sound, see if it's a song you can groove to. You're supposed to be put in a good mood when listening to music, not feel like murdering someone the way screamo shit does.
    Soundwash22
    jacobbirdy128 : The Edge's playing abillity is so hyped up... All he does it use a hell of a lot of delay AMEN!!
    LeadSalad182
    Peres.T.Peanut wrote: From what I've heard of this album, it sucks. Unless your a great fan of U2, DON'T buy this...
    I'm a great fan of U2, and unfortuneatly i wasted ten dollars on this garbage. Rolling stone gave this album 5 stars and called it "Their Greatest Since Actung Baby". Ok that's total bull. People think just because its U2 we have to like it and give it five star reviews no matter how godawful it is. So my advise to Rolling Stone is grow some balls and tell it like it is, because this cd plain and simple just SUCKED
    HagstromSpeed
    Not just that, at least death metal has a lot of talent involved in playing it, esp. when it comes to todays technical death genre, but im sure you wouldnt know much about talent buddy, go listen to U2 and hey, why not listen to coldplays new album too you tool...and btw I can understand it...sorry its too technical for your infant ears, but mainly dm is about the musicianship and the intense practice needed to create what they do
    Lick_Soloist
    yonmwar wrote: good album, bad reviews.
    Pretty much agree with this to be honest, I like it, simple as that.
    tands
    i honestly dont know what they were thinking when they did this
    Kastöm
    XjWoRk17 wrote: First of all, u2 is one of the only good bands left in this time of rap and stupid death metal that noone can understand. This album is an amazing album that really does have alot of depth to the lyrics. Granted, it isnt their best at all, but nevertheless it is amazing. Another thing, who are you to critisize them when u could never hope to come up with anything as amazing as this album.
    really now? who are we to criticize them? Really? you ask that question? you seriously dont understand why? really? Well lemme explain then. You know what U2s job as musicians is? Its to make music, if they make bad music, it means they're sucking at their job, and if we buy their albums, it means we're paying for something that sucks. Wow, that was such a hard concept to grasp. Of course we cant write music up there with U2. Unfortunately enough, we don't have multi billion dollar record deals, recording sessions or arena concerts, all of which make it harder to write famous music. Personally, I have a good 12 tracks under my belt, and although I feel they could be alot better, they certainly sound better than NLOTH. This is of course coming from a guy who records all instruments and mixes his music with crappy equipment at home.
    jchitty
    hmm...I think it's definitely not their best album, but its very solid and may be right behind Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. It deserves more credit than a lot of these reviews and comments are giving.
    HagstromSpeed
    Kastm wrote: tilinmyowngrave wrote: You all need to open your ears and open your mind. This is one of the best albums to come out in years. and yeah, it isn't the joshua tree, doesn't sound anything like it, but if you WANT the Joshua Tree, go ****ing listen to the Joshua Tree... If you want U2 doing something no-one else has done, experimenting and making music that they want to make, listen to this. i would say to you, get the album, a good quality version not some shit torrent, pump out through a decent set of speakers or headphones, and just get lost in it... there is so much more than you realise to this album. No line on the horizon is most certainly not experimenting.
    lol, exactly...this is the furthest you can get from, "Experimental Music," Im sure thats what Bono would say too, "O why does it suck?, o yea man we were just experimenting KEEP ROCKIN' ON!" (puts on sunglasses like a typical tool with tight pants) You obviously are on acid if you are enjoying this, so let me go call my guy..and Ill give it another listen
    GnikNus
    why don't you shut your face? just because you don't like rap and death metal doesn't mean you need to bash them for no reason at all. The album isn't bad, i actually think it's probably the best since achtung baby, i enjoy the little electronic bits they throw in at time. that said, it's not anything that gets me too excited to be listening to. i'd give it a 7.5ish
    JayLacelle
    i agree with the UG team review. the guitar riffs are the best thing on the album since their is little to no melody. U2 tried something different and fell a little short but their still one of the top 10 bands of all time.
    XjWoRk17
    criminalcop wrote: I have to say, when "Get On Your Boots" is the best song on an album, that album isn't great. But bands like U2 generate such unreasonable expectations from fans that they are criticized for music that, had it been released by an unknown group, would be praised as "a promising first effort".
    get on ur boots is the worsts song, magnificent is the best! and this album would make an unknown band go to the top 100 sales chart as soon as they were discovered.
    XjWoRk17
    CrabSoldier X
    this album is good and i think everyone is hating on it too much simply because they don't like bono. but i do have to agree the vocals are the weakest part of this album
    Rob E
    I love U2, but i found this really boring. It just didn't have any hooks to keep me interested. It's a shame, and what makes it worse is that they are gonna release another album this year. If all the songs were written while they were in the same headspace it could be another disappointment. Won't stop me buying it though :-p
    jacobbirdy128
    The Edge's playing abillity is so hyped up... All he does it use a hell of a lot of delay...
    AngryGoldfish
    "When U2s history is written, No Line On The Horizon will be a mere footnote." - An excellent line in the review.
    Genghis_khan
    Bgoodman wrote: I wouldn't say this album as a whole is for the casual "oh i like beautiful day" u2 listener, and if i was one of them I'd only buy certain songs but it definateley deserves better than about a six. Definateley for someone who just wants to turn shredding off, and listen to an amazing range of music. I have to say there aren't any moments in the album that I was like, wow this is going to look amazing on stage, but then again Until the End of the World doesn't sound amazing till you've seen it live anyway so I'm looking forward to the tour anyway!
    Agreed in a 100%.
    The_String_Man
    not heard the album yet, but get on your boots is a good song!especially in the let me in the sound part.