Pop review by U2

• Released: Mar 3, 1997
U2: Pop

This is the U2 album that divides the fans: you either love it or you hate it. More the most part though, I love it. The sound is great, technically brilliant and something only a master could produce. It is though far from being the classic U2 sound, say 'The Joshua Tree'. Gone are the driving bass and guitar riff combos, in are the synthesizers and the distortion pedals. I like it though, it makes a nice chance and shows U2's diversity.

To be honest with you, I love the lyrics on this album. A lot of people critisize them for not being deep enough, but there are very few tracks I could accuse that of on this album. The standout tracks for lyrics are the brilliant 'Gone' and album closer 'Wake Up Dead Man', which is a forgotten classic.

Overall, this is a great album. Sure, it isn't as good as 'Achtung Baby' or 'The Joshua Tree', but those are two of the great albums of all time - you can't expect U2 to reach those heights with every album. Anyway, this is a very, very strong album with some of my favourite songs. Bono's voice is brilliant throughout, Edge's riffs are imaginative and Adam and Larry provide an excellent rhythm. The tracks are: 01. Discotheque - 8/10 great song, though it shouldn't have been a single 02. Do You Feel Loved - 10/10 I love this song, very catchy. 03. Mofo - 8/10 obviously inspired by the Prodigy, quite enjoyable. 04. If God Will Send His Angels - 7/10 good but not great. 05. Staring At The Sun - 10/10 one of the album's highlights. 06. Last Night On Earth - 9/10 the big rocker of this album. 07. Gone - 10/10 probably the best song on the album. 08. Miami - 7/10 good but slow. 09. The Playboy Mansion - 7/10 not that memorable. 10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress - 8/10 melodic. 11. Please - 8/10 very good and catchy. 12. Wake Up Dead Man - 10/10 one of the best songs I've heard. I think anyone who likes their rock music loud and with a catchy beat should go and buy this album immediately. You won't regret it.