Rattle And Hum [DVD] review by U2

• Released: Mar 1, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10

'Rattle And Hum' is a documentary about the band U2, but it also uses their music to compliment their unique history. The sound on the DVD is flawless, unless you're very very picky and you notice that The Edge's solo in 'Bullet The Blue Sky' is slightly affected (Soundwise) by Bono holding a spotlight over The Edge. Edge is also using a metal slide on his fingers, and the way he's using it distorts the solo a little, but it's not a biggie and definetly did not disappoint me.

Content — 10
The DVD includes a little bit of everything form the band. For example, 'Angel Of Harlem' is seen being recorded in the actual studio, 'Helter Skelter' is the opening song, which depicts the band playing a live show, 'Heartland' includes the band going to Graceland at the very end of the song and Larry Mullen Jr. giving a story of how much it touched his heart, 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' shows that Bono's lyrics have much more of a meaning than you may think, and 'Bad', my personal favorite, shows in its own way that you're not watching Larry, Bono, Edge, and Adam- You're watching U2. Don't be fooled by the back of the DVD, though. I was under the impression that 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Ruby Tuesday' were going to be full length covers, but only 2 or 3 lines of the song were actually put into the DVD. No extras, but you'll be awed enough by the content.

Production Quality — 10
'Rattle And Hum' is shot in black and white up until 'Where The Streets Have No Name'. I was a little bit worried about this feature; worried that it would bother me. If anything, especially to songs like 'Bad', it adds a certain 'intensity' to the show. My eyes were a bit shocked to see the screen fade to black and then fade in to a bright red backdrop, though. After your eyes adjust, you'll fall in love all over again with the next half hour or so of color movie.

Of all the music DVD's I own, 'Rattle And Hum' qualifies as my favorite and the best. It appears very subtle, as far as the documentary portions go, but how many documentaries have you seen where someone's inarticulate feelings made them break down and almost cry? The most impressive thing about this DVD is how much U2 sounds like U2. The Edge rarely misses a note at all, whereas in concerts like Green Day's, whole potions of songs are muted or cut off because of all the strutting around. I love the black and white camera-work! If it were stolen or lost, I would surely buy another copy of it. 'Rattle And Hum' is such an excellent film, I would keep two copies around the house just in case one got lost. 10 is just not high enough of a rating to give this DVD.