Rattle And Hum [DVD] Review

artist: U2 date: 11/21/2005 category: compact discs
Released: Mar 1, 2004
Rattle and Hum is not a film for anyone looking for an introduction to Irish band U2's career in the 1980s, but it is a vibrant portrait of an established group making its musical pilgrimage through the America.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 10
 9.4
 8.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Rattle And Hum [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Sound: U2's 1988 movie Rattle and Hum is an excellent portrial of U2's touring and live shows at the peek of thier carrer. The movie is about U2's 1988 Joshua Tree tour and the recording of thier next album, Rattle and Hum. The sound U2 portrays is a unique sound like no other. The band plays the live shows at an amazing level has the crowd very pumped. U2 does do excellent remakes of great songs from bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and even two Jimi Hendrix songs. The band does do a song with blues idol and guitar legend BB King. // 10

Overall Impression: Before there was Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster, there was U2's Rattle And Hum. This is the best U2 film ever made. Unlike Live At Slane Castle and Live At Boston, this album documents the highs and lows of touring and the legions of U2 fans all across North America. It captures the pure raw and essents of a U2 live show and the bandmate's lives. The most impressive thing about the DVD is that each song is from another concert/recording session. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. // 10

Rattle And Hum [DVD] Reviewed by: audioboxer16, on november 21, 2005

Sound: 'Rattle And Hum' is a documentary about the band U2, but it also uses their music to compliment their unique history. The sound on the DVD is flawless, unless you're very very picky and you notice that The Edge's solo in 'Bullet The Blue Sky' is slightly affected (Soundwise) by Bono holding a spotlight over The Edge. Edge is also using a metal slide on his fingers, and the way he's using it distorts the solo a little, but it's not a biggie and definetly did not disappoint me. // 10

Overall Impression: Of all the music DVD's I own, 'Rattle And Hum' qualifies as my favorite and the best. It appears very subtle, as far as the documentary portions go, but how many documentaries have you seen where someone's inarticulate feelings made them break down and almost cry? The most impressive thing about this DVD is how much U2 sounds like U2. The Edge rarely misses a note at all, whereas in concerts like Green Day's, whole potions of songs are muted or cut off because of all the strutting around. I love the black and white camera-work! If it were stolen or lost, I would surely buy another copy of it. 'Rattle And Hum' is such an excellent film, I would keep two copies around the house just in case one got lost. 10 is just not high enough of a rating to give this DVD. // 10

Comments