Songs Of Innocence review by U2

• Released: Sep 9, 2014
U2: Songs Of Innocence

U2 once again brings us a great new album. In "Iris (Hold Me Close)," Bono pays beautiful homage to his mother, who died when he was fourteen. In "Cedarwood Road," Bono brings up where he was raised. "Raised by Wolves" discusses the car bombings in Dublin. Though a great singer, there are some instances where Bono should leave it to the instruments. His voice breaks at odd points, but overall, he brings "Achtung Baby" and "The Joshua Tree" into a whole new album.

The Edge rarely used distortion, but it is frequent in "Songs of Innocence," and sometimes sounds off. In "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight," a rather quiet song, The Edge has a solo where he uses distortion, and it puts it over the top a bit. But his skill is still undeniable. In "The Troubles," he has a beautiful solo at the very end, creating a beautiful outro. The music quality is excellent. No fuzziness or clicking. If you have a good stereo, you can crank it up, and it will sound like U2 is in your living room!

The lyrics fit perfectly, and Bono writes about his life and spirituality. The lyrics fit the songs, and don't usually go outside the stanzas. Bono's skill brings the songs to life, and can be very soothing or harsh, depending on the song. Though sometimes over the top, he brings it together to sound like a great symphony!

Comparative to other albums, it stands for itself. Though it doesn't have the oomf of "Achtung Baby," or the soaring chords of "The Joshua Tree," it is an excellent album in itself. My favorites from the album were "California (There Is No End to Love)," "Raised by Wolves," "Cedarwood Road," and "The Troubles." If it were accidentally deleted, I would definitely buy it again! Overall, 9.5 out of 10 stars!

Chickendirt
    It's probably a 7-8 but I gave it 10 because so many trolls that haven't heard a song on it yet only came here to hate
    ador11
    It's quite a while i haven't heard music of such quality-melody that heals ur ear and lyrics that speaks out of ur soul..until songs of innocence.i am a u2 fan-proud to be that-cause my ears and heart are prepared for true music(all the rocks&country)...not pops-hiphops techno bullshits-songs(?) that r not listened but get popular by the inappropriate music videos..it's really sad that our taste for music r getting so low...
    grinreaper
    For all those bands struggling to making a name for themselves and getting your music out there. If you criticize this method of distribution, then you're just not thinking out of the box, and wonder why you're still in your current state. Just saying how it is, coming from one that works in this industry.