The Joshua Tree review by U2

• Released: Mar 9, 1987
U2: The Joshua Tree

This is U2's first masterpiece and best album to date - almost every song could be a single. The Edge plays melodically and minimalist throughout the album, yet, despite very little guitar playing, the riffs still make a bigger impact than the shredders of the world. One word describes this album - beautiful.

The lyrics? One word: perfect. Bono peaked on this album and has never reached these heights again. He got back to these heights with songs like 'One' and 'Walk On' but never wrote a whole album with lyrics like this. The lyrics are so perfect they almost sound like Bono just churned them out without even thinking about them. 'One Tree Hill', which is dedicated to a friend of the band, probably has some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard.

My overall impression is this is probably the best album in my collection. It is melodic, easy to listen to and doesn't get annoying after the 100th listen. The most impressive songs are 'With Or Without You,' 'Where The Streets Have No Name' and the joyous 'One Tree Hill,' but all the tracks are great. If you are new to U2, you should definately go out and buy this album right now. Its U2's best and one of the best albums ever recorded. If you have this and want to know what to get next, I recommend 'Achtung Baby' and 'All That You Can't Leave Behind.' The latter is my personal favourite. If this were stolen I'd have to buy it again as I can't live without it - seriously!