Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD] review by U2

• Released: Nov 15, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
U2: Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD]

As with their newest album, they sound just as brilliant live, if not, better. It surprised me how many guitars The Edge used so that he could create different sounds and effects. His guitar playing in this show couldn't have been better. Adam's bass playing remains as magnificent as it was in, perhaps, 'Under A Blood Red Sky'. Bono's vocal skills show how talented he is when he decides to add extra verses to certain songs (Vertigo). Last but never least, Larry's drum playing is shown at it's best at the end of the performance when he performs a short drum solo/outro. Fantastic

Content — 9
This is basically what the name states, U2 Live from Chicago. They play a variety of songs from their new album 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' as well as many of their classics such as 'New Years Day' and 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. This performance also shows Bono's talked-about blindfold with the word 'coexist' written on it (the C being a cresent moon, the x being the star of jude and the t being a crusifix). U2 remain entertaining as ever and now involve the crowd more than ever as they walk out on a massive semi-circle extention of the main stage which allows them to get closer to the crowd than in previous shows. During 'Mysterious Ways', Bono actually pulls someone out of the crowd and dances with them. On several occasions, Bono also gives his glasses out to members of the audience.

Production Quality — 9
The lighting and camera quallity work together perfectly to capture the bands light but heavy image and also captures any emotion from the band during their personal songs (Sometimes You Can't Make it On You're Own). Ned O'Hanlon (producer) and Paul McGuinness (executive producer) show their skills at their impecable best with this performance. Every camera angle, every song transition has been edited to make it sound and look magnificent.

I think that this DVD will become one of U2's greatest live performances ever filmed. Any U2 fan must have this. It makes me jealous of the people who actually went to see them when this was filmed as they would have experienced the magic of U2 live. Any U2 fan that has seen this DVD will agree that it deserves the ratings that I have given it.

kyle_katarn3
    I think oddest thing about it being shot over 2 nights is that they sometimes use footage from both nights in the same song. the most apparent of these is during Zoo Station, where during certain shots you can see that the neck joint of The Edge's Les Paul has a sticker with the number 1 on it in some shots, and the number 2 in others. Also, during the solo from Bullet the Blue Sky, you can clearly see that the giant light screens are being retracted in some shots, while gone in the next, and then completely down in the following shot. Its kinda funny, but still an awesome DVD
    nik_I
    great dvd. it's my favorite U2 concert, and i have pretty much all of their live dvd's