Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD] Review

artist: U2 date: 04/10/2007 category: compact discs
U2: Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD]
Release Date: November 15, 2005
This DVD captures the band on two nights during their tour to support How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
 Content: 8.7
 Production Quality: 9
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD] Reviewed by: Tolch, on january 26, 2006

Sound: Bono - Superb performance. The Edge's use of his specially made guitar effects is great, as are his solos. When he isn't rubbing shoulders with the likes of Kofi Annan and George W. Bush, the activist Bono has a side project he likes to call "U2." U2: Vertigo - Live From Chicago captures the band on two nights during their tour to support How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Once known for taking the most technologically extravagant shows on the road, the boys from Dublin have settled into a comfortable role of rock elder statesmen, placing emphasis on the anthems and weepers of their considerable body of work rather than gigantic lemons that descend from the rafters. Always a band that reflects the zeitgeist, this concert film finds them at their earnest best, with comparatively stripped-down stage production and superbly recorded sound. To call U2's more rocking songs "anthems" borders on understatement, and it is their anthems that ring most exuberantly in Chicago's United Center. Bono understandably looks heavier and wearier than in days past, perhaps due to the weight of the world he has hoisted onto his shoulders. While the icon roams the circular stage around the Metallica-style "snakepit," The Edge, drummer Larry Mullen Jr., and bassist Adam Clayton pin the songs to the floorboards and take them to the heavens. How can these guys not play fantastically together? Standouts include hits both classic and newly minted, among them "Beautiful Day," "New Year's Day," "Pride (In The Name Of Love)," and "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Late in the concert Bono makes his appeal to the leaders of the world to end extreme poverty, invoking the imagination of a country that put a man on the moon. Ingeniously, he asks the crowd to take out their cell phones and text-message an account that operates as a petition to end world hunger. With the stadium aglow in LED screens, the band smoothly glides into "One." Elsewhere, Bono invokes religion, donning a headband decorated with Islamic, Jewish, and Christian symbols, assuming the appearance of a grizzled No Nukes protester circa 1975. (Perhaps this is a new persona akin to The Fly? ) Kidding aside, these may be days in which we need the uplift and passion of U2 more than the 1990s, when they dressed up as the Village People and occasionally performed at K-Mart. Not suitable for those who don't wish to save the world. // 10

Overall Impression: The DVD is a mix of the Chicago concerts (dating 9th and 10th of May) from the Vertigo tour. The footage used comes primarily from the 10th of May (Bono's birthday), though there are some exceptions. The setlists of those two nights are almost identical with only the final song being different ('40' on the 9th and 'Vertigo' on the 10th; '40' was used for the DVD). The recording is almost complete with only 'Party Girl' missing on the DVD, which was played on both nights. The concert starts off with a very short 'Wake up' from Arcade Fire and segues into 'Everyone', which was used as the 1st leg intro. // 9

Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD] Reviewed by: belavista man, on april 24, 2006

Sound: As with their newest album, they sound just as brilliant live, if not, better. It surprised me how many guitars The Edge used so that he could create different sounds and effects. His guitar playing in this show couldn't have been better. Adam's bass playing remains as magnificent as it was in, perhaps, 'Under A Blood Red Sky'. Bono's vocal skills show how talented he is when he decides to add extra verses to certain songs (Vertigo). Last but never least, Larry's drum playing is shown at it's best at the end of the performance when he performs a short drum solo/outro. Fantastic // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this DVD will become one of U2's greatest live performances ever filmed. Any U2 fan must have this. It makes me jealous of the people who actually went to see them when this was filmed as they would have experienced the magic of U2 live. Any U2 fan that has seen this DVD will agree that it deserves the ratings that I have given it. // 9

Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago [DVD] Reviewed by: maurocha, on april 10, 2007

Sound: I remeber the first time I ever heard U2 and it was on this very DVD. A friend of mine would lend it to me and had to be often calling me to give it back because I couldn't do it. I fell in love with U2's music. Eventually I bought it myself and I listened it for so long that it started influencing my music. Right now I know how to play tons of U2 songs with my guitar. If you open the DVD booklet it contains a set of words in every page which together form " Don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster". It also includes several pictures of the band playing live. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think U2 compares to any band I've ever seen. There is nothing I hate about this DVD. If I had to say what was the most impressive thing on it, it would probably be the band's performance. Bono has an amazing voice, Edge is my favorite guitar player, Adam is one of the best bass players I've ever seen and Larry rocks mostly on Sunday Bloody Sunday. They can't be a better band. // 10

Comments