War review by U2

• Released: Feb 28, 1983
U2: War

The sound quality is everything you can expect from a 1980s recording. This album was recorded in 1983, which explains the poor sound quality, obviously not the fault of the band's. There are some really memorable riffs on here, listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday, you'll know what I mean.

As Bono himself states in one of his interveiws, the lyrics are unfinished and, to me at points, sound a little untidy (Better words or lyrics could have been thought up in place of some of the ones that had been written), But this doesnt mean that the lyrics don't do well. It's allways a nice thing to listen to the lyrics of a song, and U2's lyrics allways have meaning.

It's there debut album, and with some of the songs, you can tell, but none-the-less, this is a great album. There is a bunch of fantastic U2 numbers on this album including 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', 'New Years Day' and '40', all of which they still perform today (read my reveiw on U2 Live In Chicago). This album has set the standard for the band to beat over the years, and they've been beating it ever since. Though it is good to listen to new material, it would be better to listen to the classics aswell, for without them, U2 wouldn't have done as well as they have.

Repitition
    It isn't their Debut, that was Boy (I think. It might be October) but it is a good record.
    Eisenhower
    This is not their debut album. Boy was their first, then came October and then came this one.
    TwistedLogic
    Bad review, the album is there third and we can see progrees in songwriting from October, which had Gloria, that show signs of what is to come in the Unforgetable Fire. Drownding Man and 40 show the use of ambiance and space to enhance a song, a style more fully developed on songs like Bad and Promenade, while the Song Two Hearts and Red Light show the punk / indie influence that remained in song like the Wire and Indian Summer Sky. The songwriting was evolving and Daniel Langlois and Brian Eno brought out in the Unforgetable fire what Steve Lillywhite had nurtured in War.
    §odaPlex
    Totally agree with 'TwistedLogic', but it's Daniel Lanios. And before Boy... there were major singles.... U2 3 (September 1979) Another Day (February 1980) 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (May 1980) A Day Without Me (August 1980) U2, has been together since almost 1975. Thirty-two years.
    belavista man
    Personally, I dont think that the singles before 'War' were extremely substantial. They got U2 by, but even now, I can't remember them without listening to them on the same day...
    belavista man
    I actualy like this album alot more now. Gave it a good listen last night and this morning, and I gotta say that it's alot better then I remember it being.