Zoo TV: Live From Sydney [DVD] review by U2

• Released: Sep 19, 2006
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
U2: Zoo TV: Live From Sydney [DVD]

ZooTV era is one of my favourites. I think that the whole idea is genious, the huge TV screens and Trabbi's. It's all captured here. This DVD is a treasure to any U2 fan. This is also one of the rare U2 concerts filmed on one night. They didn't film it the night before because Adam didn't arrive. That was the infamous one and only time when something like that happened. Although I'm very well impressed by this concert, there was one thing I wasn't too satisfied, The Fly. I have heared some bootlegs from this tour and Bono's guitar could be heared all the time, not only at the beginning. Those were simple chords but they gave it a better sound.

Content — 8
The 1CD edition contains only the concert. The Deluxe edition contains following documentaries and extra tracks: Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World and Desire taken live from the Zoo TV Special, Yankee Stadium, New York, August 29 and 30, 1992, The Fly and Even Better than the Real Thing taken live from the "Stop Sellafield" Concert, G-Mex Centre, Manchester, June 19, 1992. Documentaries: A Fistful of ZooTV, ZooTV, The Inside Story, Trabantland. The Trabantland is a mini-documentary about the famous East-German Trabant. I recomend you to watch it, you will find out many interesting facts about this little car. Desire and Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World are the most valuable bonus tracks. The ZooTV version of Desire is something worth watching. I think that the Deluxe edition is worth to buy, it's also not much more expensive than the 1CD edition. Unfortunately they didn't film Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses although they played it during the tour several times.

Production Quality — 9
The picture quality is even better than I hoped it would be. Only sometimes I had a feeling that Bono's voice sounds louder than guitars and drums. I did't like that the words and frazes from the background screeens where mounted in the front of the screen. I can understand it was done to make them easier to read, but they can be seen well anyways. I've heared that they wanted to release ZooTV and Popmart in 2001 but then they canceled it. I think that producers have done good work as it is high quality.

It's also a great fun to watch it. Bono's stage personas, The Fly and MacPhisto. The show encore is something unusual. It was hard for me to get used to MacPhisto's weird look. Dirty Day had a brilliant sound. I think it's one of the best songs from Zooropa. The famous beginning of the Zoo Station whith Bono dancing infront of the huge screen. There is so much to see. Definately worth buying!

Spin21
    Food for thought to those who write U2 off as being too soft to be cool --- on more than one account James and Kirk of Metallica have acknowledged being huge U2 fans ...must mean something when people as successful and talented as them respect and admire your work
    tilinmyowngrave
    U2 are probably the best band ever. Well... Yeah... To be honest who else has: a) lasted as long as them b) maintain originality c) have as big a fan base d) as many amazing and inspiring songs e) written sunday bloody sunday. Erm... MCR??? LOL
    Nhex (PT)
    well I HATE PEOPLE WHO THINK JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE OLDER THEY CAN BASH AGAINST THE YOUNGERS well my opinion and U2 had better days indeed
    MestFan99
    I'm 15 and I love U2. Ever since I was a kid my dad played it around me and we had the Zoo TV tape and I always used to watch it. now I got the DVD and it's better quality and has bonus songs. This DVD brings back great memories.
    belavista man
    Incubus=Science wrote: U2 PWNS ANY BAND (besides metallica, incubus, audioslave, and the police...)
    lmao, The Police I agree with lol. And Nhex (PT), yeah, U2 have had better days, but this is one of thier best live concerts to date. It has to be said.