Zooropa review by U2

• Released: Jul 6, 1993
U2: Zooropa

Zooropa was U2's deepest step into experimental music. It's completely different from their previous albums. I listened to the whole album several times before I understood it. Actually I didn't like it at the beginning as it was not the traditional U2 sound and style.

01. Zooropa - consists of three parts. The first part is a mixed material called "Babel". I've read that at the beginning it was considered as a separate track, but later was mixed together. The promo single of this track released in the USA actually had that part removed because the song is quite long, 6:25. The whole song is a sort of techno-pop-rock with many samples and synths used in it. It kind'a represents the album style. 02. Babyface - is a nice song but I don't have anything special to say about it although it's not a bad song. 03. Lemon - actually I've never liked Bono's falsetto voice, but this whole song is sung in falsetto. Some say they like it but I had to get used to it. One thing I like about this song is the video, a must see. 04. Numb - is the most unusual song of the album. One of the rare songs sung by Edge. It has a plain, heavy distorted guitar riff looped through the song and Edge "rapping" in monotone voice. It's an interesting song but not the best. 05. Stay (Faraway So Close) - is a standout track of Zooropa. The true classic U2 track in this album, very beautiful and emotional. 06. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - is another song with almost no guitars and a lot of synths. One of my favourites from Zooropa. 07. The First Time - it was weird to hear clean guitar on Zooropa. Compared to the rest of the songs, except for Stay, The First Time is very emotional, but the melody fits with the style of the rest of the album. 08. Some Days Are Better Than Others - the only song from the album which actually has a guitar solo. Catchy lyrics, melody and bass line. 09. Dirty Day - is a song you must hear live because compared to the album version it sounded more complete. Johnny Cash is featured on "The Wanderer". Personally I think that no one else could sing it better than Johnny. If you leave the album playing for about one minute after "The Wanderer", you will hear an alarm going off. Some say that it is the alarm that warns radio DJs when there is a 10-second air silence.

Zooropa is one of my favourite U2 albums. I think that some fans underestimate it only because someone has said that he doesn't like it. It actually takes some time to understand it. The songs may be unusual but they're great. These songs make Zooropa a great album although none of them doesn't appear on U2's latest compilation. A beginner U2 fan should hear it to learn these many styles that U2 have played and then compare it to the previous, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

belavista man
    I bought this a few months back. For me, they've done so much better. Achtung, Baby! is my favourite, by far. So many more rate higher than this one for me.