Strangers In The Night review by UFO

• Released: Jan 1, 1979
UFO: Strangers In The Night

A lot of bands can sound a lot worse when they take their music to the live stage, like if the songs are too technically demanding or simply because it's hard to recreate the original sound of the studio recording. So a lot of bands resort to(or get accused of) editing the tracks so the live album sounds better. UFO didn't do that. All of the songs on Strangers are REALLY live, not edited. Even though it's really a compilation of live performances, it doesn't sound like it. It has all of UFO's most popular songs, like Doctor Doctor, Lights Out, Rock Bottom, etc. The entire band is spot on. Andy Parker and Pete Way held down the rythmn perfectly, but the real selling point of this album is the genius that is Michael Schenker. He does a lot of straying away from the studio recording solos, most apparant in Rock Bottom. He plays in a very creative way, very melodic, but in a hard rock sense. He still plays reasonably fast. Schenker is one of the true underdogs of rock guitar.

Phil Mogg is a good vocalist, but an ok showman. But he only needs to sound good here, and he does. He won't wow you if you're into Robert Plant/Steven Tyler vocals, as he isn't a great rock vocalist. But he IS the signiture voice of UFO. He is such a big part of the band's overall sound. It may sound a little strange, but I would say he's a "easy" vocalist to listen too. The lyrics are nothing special, but they are far, far from bad. It fits the music. One of my highlights of the album is Love to Love, because the lyrics sound so good against the music. And Phil Mogg's vocals fit that song so well. I'm sure most singers around that time would butcher that song.

If you've never heard a UFO song, buy this album. I don't care if you don't even listen to hard rock. The sound is so good it's hard to put down the chance to hear this album. Michael Schenker is a hard rock guitar legend because of this album. This is an album I'll probably never stop listening to because it's like hard rock crack. This band was meant to be seen live, because their songs sound so much better in a live setting, without the studio polish. This is the definative UFO album.

einaroneeye
    This live album for me is one of the absolute all time greats of the live seventies releases. As another post points out, it ranks right up there with Kiss Alive, Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous, AC/DC If You Want Blood, Cheap Trick at Budokan, and more. The sound, the song selections and the genius of Michael Shenker playing his ass off combine to make this a true classic for hard rock {with melody ) guitar fans. Love it!
    kmanjax
    There is no album that I listen to more often than Strangers in the Night. This album gets me pumped up every time I play it and I play it all the time. As a matter of fact, I am going to throw it on now. I don't just refer to this as one of the greatest "live" albums, but just as one of the greatest albums ever. If there is one UFO album to own, this has got to be the one. Schenker RULES!!!
    Rex Inclitus
    A masterpiece that still holds up as the best live album ever recorded. Even Andy Summers of the Police avers that Rock Bottom is the best solo ever recorded, when you get accolades like that from prominent guitarists of different genre's it speaks volumes.