Kveldssanger review by Ulver

Ulver: Kveldssanger

"Kveldssanger" is the second album of the Norwegian Experimental/Avant-Garde group Ulver and the second part of their "Black Metal Trilogie", although the album is not Black Metal or any kind of Metal: it's an acoustic Folk album. The album is mostly instrumental, with some songs like the opening song "stenfor Sol Og Vestenfor Maane" featuring vocals, and of course the song "A Cappella (Sielens Sang)". As you may have guessed from the name, the second one is an A Cappella song with vocals only and is the only song in the album not featuring any instruments (well, with the song "Ord", but it's more like an interlude than a song). The songs are mostly very short with only three songs from the total 13 songs being over three minutes long, and the second song "Ord" being only 17 seconds. The album is mostly played with acoustic guitars, but it features other instruments also like cello on "Nattleite" and flute on "Naturmystikk" and "Hiertets Vee". Although the members of Ulver aren't really satisfied with the album, many of their fans all over the world think "Kveldssanger" is one of their best albums, and I think it IS Ulver's best album since it's really beautiful and calming album with great instrumentation and singing.

Only five songs on the album have vocals (six if we count "Ord"), and only three of them have any lyrics (four if we once again count the damn "Ord" as a full length song) so there isn't much to say about them. The lyrics are however in Norwegian which I think it great, since Ulver tried to make a traditional Folk album and their own language fits there perfectly: the songs would be much worse with English lyrics. The singing on the album is beautiful chanting (usually done by a few singers at the same time) and I find it extremely difficult to believe that the band's singer Garm was only 19 at the time when they recorded the vocals.

Overall I think "Kveldssanger" is an incredible album and I recommend it to all fans of acoustic Folk music or basically any kind of acoustic music, but also to all fans of Ulver, since I at least find myself enjoying all the albums Ulver has done although they have gone through so many genres, so if you have been listening to their other stuff but not this album, it's time to check out "Kveldssanger". In my opinion the best song on the album "Hyfjeldsbilde", but to get a good picture from both the instrumentation and the singing, I suggest to listen to the last song on the album, "Ulvsblakk".