777 [DVD] review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Underoath: 777 [DVD]

Underoath is one of those bands you either love or hate music-wise. Their sound combines the screaming vocals of Spencer Chamberlain with the softer vocals of their drummer, Aaron Gillespie, with the overall hard thrashing guitars of Tim McTague and James Smith, the bass of Grant Brandell, and the head banging keyboards of Christopher Dudley. The overall sound from this band can be best described as a train wreck (but in a good way). The band's sound tends to be like a train wreck in the sense that one minute it's soft and it carries itself in a light manner, but suddenly it breaks down into a hardcore screaming breakdown. The music tends to do this in all their recent albums. The band can be best described as Christian metalcore or post-hardcore. The band's lyrics generally have an underlying Christian tone to them, but the sound of the music itself seems to differ that with heavy riffs and loud screams.

Content — 8
This DVD has everything a normal music DVD has: a documentary, a live show, and music videos. This DVD is a good DVD overall for the band and gives them a good image. This DVD is also a great thing for a fan to pick up to enjoy until the band's next album. The documentary is called Moments Suspended In Time, named after the song A Moment Suspended In Time on the band's 2006 release Define The Great Line. This documentary seems to be narrated by the band's guitarist Tim McTague. Most of the footage is taken from Tim's video camera as he walks around and talks to other members of the band. The footage shows the band with fans (as shown in the first segment where they are signing CDs at Hot Topic), on the road, and at their shows. Footages includes the band playing games with other bands on tour, the band's antics on tour, making of a music video, and the overall energy of their fans. While the documentary is interesting, the clips tend to be short. They also tend to hop around after each clip. There is no continuous footage at all except when they are making a video in Sweden. While this is a down side to it, it is still pretty well put together. The live show is the Myspace Secret Show that the band put on June 20th, 2006. The footage shows the band's energetic live performance on stage for their fans. It combines their old songs from They're Only Chasing Safety with the new songs from Define The Great Line. This performance is very well done for only a Myspace Secret Show. I haven't seen the band live, but after seeing this, I wonder what their true tour shows are like. The music videos are probably the best part of the disc. The videos include Writing On The Walls, In Regards To Myself, and You're Ever So Inviting. All three videos are very, very well done, and I promise you that if you haven't seen them, you will be in awe. The videos are done in conjunction with Sweden's Popcore Films. The videos may not make that much sense, to me at least, but they are very well done compared to other current videos.

Production Quality — 8
While most of the documentary is done from Tim's video camera, it still is really well done, and it looks very nice. The live concert only has a few camera views, but they cover the stage and the audience really well. The music videos are the quality you would see on TV. The entire DVD is very well done, but the documentary seems to hop around a little too much.

Overall, this DVD has tons for Underoath fans to embrace until the next album. If you are a fan of the band's videos or live shows you will love this DVD regardless of the documentary. I honestly think the documentary is the only down point in this DVD, but it is still very well done. If you have yet to hear anything from this band, but would like a general taste, I would also recommend this DVD to you to show what the band is all about. Just pick it up if you think you need a dose of Underoath playing on your TV every once in awhile.

hey-hey FUNK 11
    how is online cursing and bigotry accurate information anyways, you may not be goth, and you may not even be fat, but you're really really retarded...
    saosin22533
    not for underoath or the almost they're the only christian bands that i'll ever listen too everything else is just christians trying to be cool, so they try and copy whatever they view as cool
    KsE_Fan220
    saosin22533 wrote: Limpbizkit69 wrote: **** underoath they suck oh yeah and limp bizkit is the greatest thing too ever happen your probably writing this from the south
    thank u saosin. i am from the south and i love maylene, showdown, and underoath. but hey that is what i like. but some of u guys are far to close minded and bigeted about yall's opinions. it's simply what u like, nothing more nothing less.
    Lastronaut91
    How can people be so close minded to completely write off a band because they are christian? That is bullshit. This is a good band regardless of their faith. They are other good christian bands too, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Devil Wears Prada to name a few.
    STFU_Nao
    Thanks man. Feel free to toss around a whole division of the united states so bluntly, no big deal to us smarter southerners at all. You're just as bad as the Limp Bizkit guy.
    GCT
    suicmez-is-god wrote: underoath is the ****in gayest band ever...o we think god is heavy metal...jesus is deadly fags...listen to ****in real music...christian metal...listen to ****in cannibal corpse you dicks
    oh Cannibal Corpse sounds so cool man you're so cool! We are dicks yes you are right because you are so cool you listen to Cannibal Corpse oh you are so great! Very cool! We Suck!
    smirnoff_black wrote: The singer sounds similar to the guy from In Flames.
    Yeah i think so too. Somewhat sounds like the guy from In Flames.
    STFU_Nao wrote: Wow, some of the forumgoers of U-G are the most close-minded, musically-challenged idiots that should never be allowed to touch a CD or a computer. If you don't like Underoath, you better have a damn good reason other than your padded-mind "christians suck, I like heavy metal but don't know bullcrap about it" attitude. Talk about the music, the lyrics, not the vague ideals the band bases itself on. A lot of you are children, which is disgusting and sad to see as you so bluntly spout off stupid remarks about things you know nothing about. Underoath is a controversial band. In my opinion, Define The Great Line was a let-down, only because it followed after such an amazing album. My opinion, they're headed in the right direction they just need to work on making their songs have each to its own identity.
    Well put. They are just saying that because they want us to think they are cool. Just leave them alone. You'll get used to it. Most of them are under 16 anyway.
    STFU_Nao
    Oh GCT. I joined this website for the purpose of finding those little morons. I find enjoyment in seeing what they have to say in return for my comments. But thanks for the support.
    jtby
    ok..for all of you guys that are dissing Underoath and Spencer, you guys are the losers. why come to a forum that is for fans? anyways. i saw them live on May 20th, 2007.and lucky for me the line-up was Glass Ocean(who sucked), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(awesome), Norma Jean(awesome), And Underoath(the best!) and the ticket only costed about twenty bucks! it was the best night of my life. anyways. the dvd is awesome. i can watch it over and over. so for all of u Underoath haters. screw you cuz i can care less about what u think/say!
    lennonOUTLIVE
    wow, thats not closed minded at all. someone up there said music is about expression, which is the bottom line. there is nothing wrong with a band singing about their faith, and even if you dont share their ideas you can appreciate the music. or you cant, because you listen to ****ing cannibal corpse. and we all know "hammer smashed face" and "raped with a knife" are definately alot more lyrically and musically advanced than anything underoath has put out -.-
    lennonOUTLIVE
    chasing safety will always be one of my favorite albums, but i was kinda dissappointed when they put out define the great line. i dunno, it just seemed like they were trying to force the heaviness that chasing safety didnt have, but the line up they have now seems better at playing the less heavy music then back when they had dallas
    Ash on fires
    InsaneIdeas
    I like the combination of the soft to heavy and the diferent sounds, good concept like with Linkin Park, but the christian theme just kinda throughs it off. Over all I like the instrumental part but the lyrics and vocals still need some work
    HH_Emo_666
    i dont know why i didnt review this yet but. i got it the day it came out. i thought it was boring. the live songs are good though, but i finally found out how they are live. You could only hear one guitar, but I'm assuming because it was like recorded live, so if i was actually there id hear the whole band play. Spencer is a good screamer in the studio, but live he gets roughed up a bit and he starts to lose his voice/throat?
    the_hooz
    AWESOME DVD. I love it. Especially when they are headbanging to some of the guys throwing up. ROCK ON!!!
    Stoke
    if it was on the dallas taylor era i would buy it spencer underoath is much like the misfits without danzig.
    cleft11
    2nd comment. and i love underoath, i wish they would come on the taste of chaos tour over in england!! im probly gonna get this, but the home recording and short clips put me off a bit.. still love underOATH though, cant get enough.
    Give_em Hell
    I reccommend any Underoath fan who likes the live show to watch the survive kaleidoscope dvd very awesome!!!
    Lastresort
    they are a very good band to see live. they have a lot of energy and if you like their cds they are twice as good in the live show.
    LakeboDom
    Ash on fires wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Hahaha Underoath. CHRISTIAN metalcore. It's got all the ingredients for fail. Sorry people, but thats just my opinion. Cuz mainstream metalcore is so much better. I dislike anything Howard Jones has done equally as much as anything Underoath has ever written. Listen to He Is Legend for some good screamo.
    Yeah But Howard Jones has made KSE one of the top bands in metalcore. No one else sounds like him. Also mainstream metalcore is horrible. There are only three good metalcore bands at least in my opinion. Unearth,KSE, and As i lay dying.
    underfan15
    SkAsupafly wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Hahaha Underoath. CHRISTIAN metalcore. It's got all the ingredients for fail. Sorry people, but thats just my opinion. I hate underoath they're way too over rated and mainstream for my taste, but they don't auctually sing about christianity do they? its just ther beliefs right??
    well, with Dallas, they tended to focus more on Christian beliefs, especially in Act of Depression. But now, with Spencer, they're more or less an ordinary heavy metal band with Christian undertones or overtones (don't really know the difference between overtones and undertones)
    underfan15
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: zombie_monster wrote: Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Hahaha Underoath. CHRISTIAN metalcore. It's got all the ingredients for fail. Sorry people, but thats just my opinion. Have you ever even listened to them? They are amazing in studio, and are amazing live. I'm actually happy Dallas quit because now we have Maylene and Underoath. The circle banging gallon challenge was so ****ing metal :headbang: I've heard a song, it sucked.
    just wondering, ehat was the song?
    underfan15
    and if by that you mean anything Christian is gonna suck, u got issues bro...
    Haksqeezy00
    people should stop judging music by just ONE song, or by the genre they've been placed under. if you actually try expanding your taste in music you'll find that there are a lot of amazing bands out there that you might end up liking whether you expect to or not.
    paintITblack39
    Checked/Deleted/Warned/Banned. Anymore of this Underoath sucks, Emo sucks, or just plain flaming will result in a ban, now. Discuss the album and the article only!
    Savage Animal
    Coheed_Cambria wrote: It's so good to see that people hate a band just because of their faith.. so broad minded of them.
    I actually don't like them because I think they're a terrible band musically speaking. Does that make me a bigot?
    takeitaway
    I miss the old days, the last album I liked from them was the changing of times. i remember when an act of depression was released, loved them from the first listen. spencer is a freaking great vocalist, I just don't care for the music anymore.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Jerk-off
    This guys picture looks like the kid from dazed and confused, only a lot more gay and girly.
    wipwap
    got the video RLY the cash worth! love the egg drink duel btw, there is a reason for dallas taylor got replaced. anyways i love the job spencer does underoath has never sounded better... AND please update the picture UG its getting quite old.. he got hes piercing no more too..
    SkAsupafly
    1000cleverlines
    well, its more that their lyrics have like a general christian tone. heres just a lyric from "watch me die" from their first ep that was like death metal: I lay as this sacrifice to this unholy altar The evil inside Satan; Satan sit and watch me die Demented screams, tortured beings, where's your hope, where's your smile, there was none Life of lies gone, gone no more So upset, so distraught, I'm sorry, I'm Sorry... I live for the Lord Watch me die no longer I am alive My purpose no more... I live for Christ
    1000cleverlines
    they also dedicated a whole track to a bible verse on define the great line (salamir) idk really what to tell you cause some of their music has no Christian meaning whatsoever, but some do
    The-13roken
    Underoath is a good band but that live performance was terrible vocal and scream wise... but the instrumentals were incredible!
    A7Xaddict
    yah underOATH is a great band but spencer doesnt sound as good live as i thought he would. the best song he did live was in regards to myself
    punkbass481
    i saw them at warped tour...highlight of the whole day and i saw 20+ bands including bayside killswitch engage a static lullaby etc.
    TomD03
    Underoath is ok... I listened to them when they were like, black metal... I can't stand their style now though, sorry
    problem?!
    the live show was disappointing on the dvd, especially vocal-wise... but i have seen them live and they don't disappoint in person
    zombie_monster