Act Of Depression review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 4, 1999
Underoath: Act Of Depression

The album starts off one the first song with what sounds like a crazy laugh, and then gets all heavy, maybe to kind of introduce you to them, but sound quality of the CD is great, although guitars in most of the songs can be a bit too basic and sometimes repetitive. But it still gives you that heavy feel that makes you want to keep listening. They also have a keyboardist who is an amateur but isnt bad, but he dosen't get a lot of time on this album at all, unlike the upcoming albums. Screaming is amazing, and so are the drums.

Being a christian band, the lyrics in my opinion are amazing, really showing theyre love for the lord. They sing on alot of issues ranging from abortion, to rape, to suicide. But what I find funny is how if you heard these guys without knowing who they are or what they stand for, you would probaly think they are possesed, or ready to kill something, but if you go back and read the lyrics you will understand fully.

Underoath is amazing, although they have changed alot music style wise in theyre more recent albums, they are still great and are a great influence. With songs like Act Of Depression overpassing the 10 minute mark, and all of they're other songs being over 5 minutes long, its well worth the money you would pay to buy it. Notable songs: Act Of Depression, Watch Me Die, Innocence Stolen. If you are looking for an alternative to death metal that just deals with rage and death and sorrow, check out these guys you won't be disapointed. If I lost this album or it broke, I would cry my eyes out because it is almost impossible to find anywhere, except for one ebay where it might go for over 60 bucks.

victoryaloy
    Its good, and different. I didnt like it as much as the last one but its good. Its very instrumental.
    michealdouglas
    this album is teh awsome. the new album sucks but this one is so incredible its almost mind blowing. i cant really tell people what they like but you like this one the best.
    COB4ever
    this was back wen underoath was good then corey left and then dallas and they suck now
    1234flip
    Underoath is my favorite band, I really want to know how people got this album, I've heard a song from it and my gosh this is a sweet album. In response to COB4ever and michealdouglas, I think that they were amazing then and are different and amazing now. I love They're Only Chasing Safety and I've heard two tracks off the new one. I've already pre-ordered it.
    underoath442
    i luv this album however this album is most definatly not emo like it says this album is, this album is almost on the breakthrough of grindcore with the many breakdowns, tough growls, and the fast double bass. However this album is most definalty metalcore for it is very melodalic and incorparates the bass and the guitars into a blend of two tunes tht back each other up and blend together to make this a perfect sound, then add sum amazing and very fast double bass and good drumming then the screams of frontman Dallas Taylor uve got a very great metalcore album.
    underoath442
    llama_guitarist
    underoath442 wrote: yea **** i cant belive tht shit and i also cant beleive what underoath is doing now i ****ing hate new underoath. Underoath used to be a great metalcore band and then corey stegar matt clark and then dallas taylor left and now they sux ass, i still really cant belive how much they changed
    how the heck can you expect them to stay the same when there is only ONE guy left of the original underoath that recorded this album. jeez get over it, i don't even know how you would think they would sound the same. i got into underoath from TOCS and then got all of their other albums and i love them all. it's great how you can listen to all of them and not have one be like a "sequel" to another that pretty much sounds the same, just with different lyrics/riffs. and i thought Chris (the keyboardist) joined right before they recorded cries of the past....oh i dunno. and yes, underoath is not emo