Act Of Depression review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 4, 1999
Underoath: Act Of Depression

The first thing you hear is a really crazed, freaky laugh, high pitched and stuff, then the music comes in, and it practically blows you away, because one second you don't hear anything, the next second really heavy music pounds your eardrums. The overall sound of the entire album is pretty brutal and harsh, however, in "Spirit of a Living God", it's very smooth and easy listening. It's almost as though it's from a completely different band, because it's so easy and soft. Also, the music combined with the actual lyrics is really freaky.

The lyrics are simply amazing. They deal with suicide in the title track, rape in "Innocence Stolen", abortion in the track "Burden in Your Hands", and in the track "Watch Me Die", the singer is talking about how he used to "die" spiritually, by constantly falling into sin, and how he found Jesus, so that he is now alive. However, there is also a track called "a Love So Pure", where the singer is pretty much praising Jesus and the Lord with every line. Actually, the lyrics alone aren't that bad, but when combined with the brutal music and the screaming, it can make you cringe, not because it's bad or sounds terrible, but because it's freaky. My personal favorite tracks would have to be "Act of Depression", "Watch Me Die", "Burden in Your Hands", and "Innocence Stolen".

The thing about Underoath is, unlike some other Christian rock bands, they're not afraid to tell it how it is. They talk about suicide and rape and abortion, etc, but they talk about it in Christian view. In "Spirit of a Living God", the lead singer, Dallas Taylor talks about how he met Jesus, and urges non-believers to do the same. Also, coincidently, this happens to be the the softest track on the album. I really can't compare the album to other artists. It's just so good, and so touching. Possibly the harshest and most impressive track on the album, next to the title track, would have to be "Heart of Stone", because it's talking about all these "Christians" out there who seem to only care about and find pleasure in finding sin in other people. The only thing I don't like about the album is how rare it is. There were only 1000 copies made, back in 1999, and for some reason, you can't get it off of Rhapsody or Limewire (or at least I couldn't find it). The only way I heard the entire album is off of Youtube, and I put those on my Netlog (for those of you who don't know, that's kind of like Myspace, only not as well-known) If I had the CD, but lost it, I'd definately at least try to buy it again. Note: you can get it off Amazon, if you wanna pay a fortune for it.

SL!!!
    "if you heard these guys without knowing who they are or what they stand for, you would probaly think they are possesed, or ready to kill something, but if you go back and read the lyrics you will understand fully" yeah...maybe you would think that if you only ever listened to light 95 for your entire life. Hahaha. I really do not like that they wrote a song about abortion. You can have your personal feelings about it, but in the end it's for the better to have Roe V. Wade stand. I'd also like to point out to some people who apparently can't think that being pro-choice does not mean you're pro-abortion and you think it's an easy form of contraception or something. Anyway, this band is pretty average, especially this cd. The keyboards are totally unnecessary.
    akosiehm
    i love ths album, especially the song "A Love So Pure" it is great to praise GOD in different ways, and this is the way they want..there is no christian music, there is christian lyrics...Godbless Underoath
    Co&Ca11
    this is a great album, and i agree with the guy above me, everyone of their albums has something good about them, i love them all
    forgetclosure
    everyone needs to chill on here and quit behaving like a bunch of little kids. ALL of underoaths albums are good and for their OWN REASONS, some people just lean more towards the melodic stuff from TOCS, some people like this album and cries of the past, maybe they just like dallas' melodic stuff from The Changing Of Times, or maybe they enjoy the more experimental mature sound of Define The Great Line, but whatever you like don't bitch at other people for having their own opinion, you've got one too..
    chrishoulton
    this band is amazing! a great christian band! where can you get this cd from? cos i can't find it anywhere. do they sell it in england, or is it just in america?
    SL!!!
    x Trev x wrote: Guys, stop bitching about genres. It makes you sound rediculous and, quite frankly, it's more than a little sad. Also, please learn how to spell.
    You spelled ridiculous incorrectly. Hahahahaha.
    1. metalcore isn't straight up metal anyway 2. you make me sad that i'm the same species as you. you should unplug your internet and go to the library, get some books, and read.
    SL!!!
    x__underoath__x wrote: Underoath's album They're only chasing safety, Is mostly an emo audience. and no they r nto emo, but they dont hate emos liek most of you faggots
    You're so loving. IRONY lulzz Keep the hate-speech elsewhere hypocrite.
    keepitwolfson
    just because theyre chrisian doesnt mean they suck they suck because they techically werent good musicains at the time this stuff is elementry at best.. i bought this cd on ebay liek 5 years ago for a penny.. now that i've remembered the solid state roster that fact that they are christian might have something to do with it
    AWFAS
    Act of Depression and Cries of the Past are both much overlooked albums by newer UnderOATH fans, and I, for one, realized this after giving both albums a few listens.
    used123
    6atreyu9 wrote: umm... sevensealgp, how does the fact that they're christian mean that they suck?
    because thats the popular opinion these days, and heaven help anyone who goes against popular opinion
    6atreyu9
    tom0466
    What makes a Christian band suck? That's just pure stupidity. I am a Christian, but that's not the only reason I love Underoath.
    sevensealgp
    who cares if underoath is metalcore or not? the point is they're christian...and that means they suck!
    used123
    TheDisturbed78 wrote: underoath is not metalcore, they will never be metalcore,if u have only 13 year old girls and gay guys at ur concerts, u r not metal, theyre not talented, they always sucked balls, they suck even more balls now, they are fags. I rest my case....
    if you actually took the time to listen to either this album or cries of the past you would be surprised. Dont let your dislike of their current lineup make you look like an idiot by saying things like this
    adamdrulz
    all I want to say is that The Devil Wears Prada is what Underoath tried to be, Plagues blows away all Underoath cd;s
    TheDisturbed78
    burn the stars
    x__underoath__x wrote: underoath442 wrote: yea **** i cant belive tht shit and i also cant beleive what underoath is doing now i ****ing hate new underoath. Underoath used to be a great metalcore band and then corey stegar matt clark and then dallas taylor left and now they sux ass, i still really cant belive how much they changed They are beter now and have more fans. If u want to say they were betetr b4, well then u have 80% of underoaths fans against u, and 20% of idiots liek u on ur side
    please cancel your internet subscription
    underfan15
    i mean, i love new underoath too, i was just under the impression that this forum was for "Act of Depression", which is old Underoath...
    sg4ever
    What an outstanding argument. You sir, are my hero. You presented your case in such a definitive and unquestionable manner. You sure showed us. Maybe next time you will actually explain WHY someone is talentless before resting your case and then you will really blow us away.