Cries Of The Past review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 4, 2000
Underoath: Cries Of The Past

I was never into Underoath until I heard this CD. This was their last CD with Dallas on vocals and their last CD to be considered "old Underoath." The riffs are heavy as hell but still melodic, and the keyboards add a really creepy feel to the music. All the songs are over 7 minutes long, yet none of them bore me at all.

Since this is a Christian band, all the lyrics are obviously about Jesus. Dallas Taylor is a great screamer who can scream both high and low. It's a shame he's not in the band anymore.

Out of all their albums, this is by far the best one. Basically, that means it's better than their first album because every album after the first two has a completely different sound, which I personally hate. It's a shame the band isn't as good now as it was when they released this album, but then again almost every member in the band now is different. The best songs on this album are "The Last" and "Giving Up Hurts The Most." If this album were stolen I would throw a fit because it's discontinued now and would be very hard to find a copy of it.

xtrmn8x1r
    JordanLennon
    "Changing of Times" was defintely Dallas' last effort with them. Honestly, I miss Dallas in the band. Underoath had a really respectable following and now they are basically just another Daily Download band. Dallas's lyrics were awesome too...if they really kicked him out for that, I find that really lame.
    Covin
    WOLFMAN JOE
    xtrmn8x1r wrote: "The Changing Of Times" IS Dallas' last album with Underoath. I heard that they got fed up with him writing half his songs about his girlfriend who died in a car wreck (which is what "Cries Of The Past" is about), and they kicked him out and brought Spencer in halfway through the "The Changing Of Times" promotional tour. I like all of Underoath's stuff though. I liked it a lot more with Dallas, but they did a lot of good stuff with Spencer too.
    yeah i agree but i think underoath's first album was better
    trox
    magnumchaos
    [quote=covin]lol, the review by COB isn't even a review. "All the lyrics are about Jesus" "Dallas Taylor was a great screamer" he's not even on the album, why are you talking about that unless giving a history? lol, what a load of crap...it's not even out for another week[/quote] Dude, CotP is an OLD album. about 6 years old, matter of fact,.
    Covin
    LOL!!!! That's embarrassing. UnderOath has a new album coming out on the 6th of June, and I thought this was the one. UG always publishes these reviews, regardless of whether or not the CD's out, so I automatically assumed it's the new one. Shyte that's embarrassing. lol
    1h81337
    That's the reason they kicked him out? That's pretty dumb I liked Dallas' lyrics a lot...then again, Underoath has always been about sticking to their roots (that's one of the things I love about them) so maybe they thought Dallas would be obsessed about his girlfriend's death and would start writing not-so-good things about Jesus Christ. Anyway, rock on Underoath, and the new song is great, and can someone tab it, while we're on the topic? lol
    detailsoniceman
    Dallas is actually in a band. They're called "Maylene and the Songs of Disaster", kind of like Skynard for scene kids... www.myspace.com/mayleneandthesonsofdisast er
    LakeboDom
    trox wrote: underoath is sweet, i love thier song, a boy blushed in red...living in white and black
    living in black and white lol wow. and the dallas is way better than spencer