Cries Of The Past review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 4, 2000
Underoath: Cries Of The Past

This album from Underoath is probably their second best album (probably only topped by The Changing of Times). I must say, I started off from listening to Underoath through "They're Only Chasing Safety" and grew attached to the band. So I decided to see what all the talk about "old Underoath" was about. So I came upon Act of Depression, Cries of the Past, and The Changing of Times. I must say, this album is intense. Everything from the timing in guitar riff changes to drumming is absolutely breathtaking. The musical composition along with violins and crisp screaming vocals make the five tracks on this album an amazing experience. The songs have raw emotions in them, as well as abrupt but beautiful changes such as in "Giving Up Hurts The Most" where the music temporarily stops as you hear: "My eyes look all around, and all they can focus on is you. For in you I find me." The violin and keyboards also add beautiful touches to these songs. The music is simply wonderful.

The musical composition itself can be great enough; combined with the awesome screaming of Dallas Taylor, this album is top-notch. Many may find it hard to adjust to after listening to Spencer on their newer albums. However, give this album (along with "The Changing of Times" and "Act of Depression") a good two or three listens and you'll realize the beauty in them. The lyrics flow beautifully with the riffs, and with the addition of the violin in certain tracks, the musical experience is simply glorius. Dallas' screaming is raw and emotional, with crisp highs and heartshaking lows. The screaming on this album is much more emotional and intense than "They're Only Chasing Safety". Although I started out with "They're Only Chasing Safety", I am hooked on "Cries of the Past" and "The Changing of Times" much more. It seems as though the intense riffs and composition of these tracks may seem intimidating at first, even unorganizable, however, after "sinking in" to these tracks, only beauty can be heard.

This album certainly sparked my love for Dallas Taylor as the old Underoath vocalist. His lyrics and vocals were raw and intense, filled with emotion and beauty waiting to be unraveled by the listener. I really do hope that Dallas Taylor is living a wonderful life now. And I've read that his new-born son Corgan Taliaferro Taylor was recently born on January 29, 2006. The albums that Dallas Taylor set out (this, along with The Changing of Times and Act of Depression) are truly unique in their own way. His emotions and struggles can be seen in the beautiful musical composition within these songs. This album is inspiring to me and also a great way to see certain emotions and feelings in life. Comparing this album with "They're Only Chasing Safety", I must say that this album tops it easily. Although "They're Only Chasing Safety" may seem better on the ear at first, these songs seem "compressed with beauty". It's really a wonderful experience after listening to these songs several times and feeling the emotion. "Define The Great Line" has recently been released, and I've read that it has some attributes of old Underoath, so it should be a great album as well. But Dallas Taylor seems to have left a unique signature onto Underoath that will always be seen within his work in this album along with the other two albums in which he was the vocalist. I really love all the songs within this album, which are long--but NOT boring. Every song has a unique flow and breakdowns which keep the songs intense and beautiful. Truly a glorius album I must say. If this album were stolen (I do not own a copy) I would try my best to buy one from eBay, even if it were $100+ (since only 2000 of these albums were made and shipped; they are no longer produced). This album is that good. I thank you, Dallas Taylor, for creating this wonderful album along with The Changing Of Times and Act Of Depression.

eblood21
    Vin2254 : I like old and new underoath, but they are basically 2 diffrent bands. Im not even sure any of the original members are left. this guys a genius
    cky9577
    COB4ever wrote: yea cky9577, youre reviewing the wrong album buddy
    yeah, i know. i hit define the great line and i went to scroll down the page and it wen down to that and i didnt notice
    86th fret
    where can you download songs from this album?? im not gonna waste $100 on it from ebay lol.