Cries Of The Past review by Underoath

• Released: Jul 4, 2000
Underoath: Cries Of The Past

One of the things I love about this album is the guitar work. They keep you on the edge of your seat with quick riff changes, brutal palm muted riffs, insane tremolo picking, and amazing solos. The addition of a second guitarist for this album enables Corey Steger to really play some pretty sick riffs. Aaron Gillespie's drumming also is very well done. His bass pedals are magnificent, and the fills are extremely creative. He was very young when this album came out, but the drumming could have you thinking it was played by a much older and more experienced drummer. I love how this album is both metal and very melodic. It seems as if the whole band had spent years writing this, but it was written in just about a year.

Both of the first two Underoath CDs have amazing lyrics and vocals. It is so fun to hear how Dallas changes his tone of voice without even missing a beat. He stays consistent throughout every song, which is beyond belief with the shortest song in length on the album still clocking in over seven minutes. His high vocals are crisp, and his growls are insane. The lyrics are well written and there is meaning to each and every word screamed, or growled, on this album.

Overall in my opinion these five songs would be the ones I would pick to listen to every single day. The vocals and lyrics are brilliant, and the two guitarists keep the riffs fresh and having you wonder how they come up with it. The frequent key changes and twists and turns give this album an almost epic feel. Dallas's voice goes well with each song, and his touch tops off each song making all of them different in every way. One of the most fascinating things about this album is that each song is over seven minutes and not one thing is repetitive about this album. You would never catch myself thinking "this part is boring" because each one is packed full of energy and emotion. Even the longest song ever recorded by Underoath, And I Dreamt of You, never gets old throughout the full eleven minutes of the song. Just give this album a listen, and you'll see what I mean.

stumaster18
    Co&Ca182 wrote: lol limewire saved my life....i hate it when ppl ask were can i get these songs!...theres a little piece of heaven called LIMEWIRE just waiting to be downloaded by u ppl!....anyway this is by FAR underoaths BEST album...it is just.....amazing...
    people like you are destroying the world
    J-rich777
    Well correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dallas LEAVE the band to spend time with his family? Then went to make Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster?
    the_burning_one
    i have to say im extremely happy with this album because their keeping their same old underoath amazingness! bullet for my valentine is trying to change it up, and it isnt as good as the old stuff, atreyu is doing that too but im happy to hear that underoath is staying the same.
    simonzwaan
    I like these guys' Instrumental and Vocals, but I'd wish they'd put some more singing in it and their videos shouldnt just be Spencer screaming while playing with his hair. but Rock ?
    Paul Lambeth
    The last review's "Lyrics" section has almost nothing to do with the lyrics. That's just personal opinion about how much you love them.
    belavista man
    I hate this band... I'm not gonna say that they're shit or anything, but they murdered a Police song, and they can't be forgiven for that.
    punkextremest
    Define The Great Line was a much better album than There Only Chasing Safety and there New singner (His name i cant think of right now) Is an excellent signer but Dallas has that raw emotion sound that makes there older albums on a second or thrid listen much better.
    ghoulsnightout
    when dallas was in the band..it was good....even unique i guess...now theyre shit..they sound like everything else and theyre just not interesting..aand now dallas is in maylene and teh sons of disaster right? theyre really good...and far better than new underoath
    Jawkster
    I like both sounds, though Spencer's does get a bit annoying sometimes.
    ValenceElectron
    I really resent the band having carried on from this original, raw effort into the MTV band they are today. Some bands should have changed their names and been done with it. Now nobody can tour these great songs.
    choke383
    underOath started dying after this album. Though The Changing Of Times was quite good.
    Richie81
    I think define the great line and their only chasing safety are waaay better then their old stuff with Dallas.
    Anarion614
    underfan15 wrote: COB4ever wrote: 86th fret wrote: where can you download songs from this album?? im not gonna waste $100 on it from ebay lol. limewire duh! but where can we get it legally?
    In this case, it probably doesn't matter. The album was discontinued awhile ago, and only 2,000something copies were made anyway. No one will make money off of it anyway, so goa head and download.
    Co&Ca182
    wow i can't belive I wrote that 2 years ago....i am a faggot...
    Co&Ca182
    nopoleon779467 wrote: dallas's screaming sucks it sounds like a horse,dying cow.how can you say hes better than spencer?
    Its personal opinion buddy... I think dallas is better than spencer... if you gotta problem with that, **** you.
    Nintendo_zombie
    Dude, you seriously didn't type this, did you? Dallas was in underOATH during "The Changing of Times" and did the whole CD, afterwards, he was no longer in the band. If you want proof, look up music videos for "The Changing of Times." Dallas Taylor is the one pumpin' the vocals.. not Spencer. Honestly, I'm glad Dallas isn't in underOATH. Maylene & the Sons of Disaster is one of my all-time favorite bands. They're a great addition to the southern metal roster. And definitely one of the best out there. As for underOATH, I personally prefer their old stuff. Definitely heavier, and better in my opinion. Especially better than "Define the Great Line."
    guitarhead93
    emometalguy wrote: this album is amazing but define the great line is slightly better in my opinion. However, anything by underoath is going to be great
    emometal... ..... ..... ..... ..... *s uicides*
    guitarhead93
    emometal... ..... ..... ..... ..... *s uicides*
    alstathe
    underfan15 wrote: people! for gods sakes, can we plz get one thing straight?! Dallas Taylor was only in Act of Depression and Cries of the Past, then Spencer Chamberlain came along! i swear, these ppl are starting to get on my frkkin nerves!
    Hahaha oh dear. You obviously don't know underOATH to be saying silly things like that. Spencer joined after the making of TCOT during the Warped tour. And tbh, I think the band is much more mature that before with the latest lineup, as there is much more depthw tihin the song writing, than before. It's also much more listenable compared to the tracks on that are on Act of Depression. But either way all underOATH albums are brilliant.
    TUBZhimself
    **** Its " maylene and the SONS of disaster" not songs...fyi, they are a kickass band
    choke383
    detailsoniceman : Dallas is actually in a band. They're called "Maylene and the Songs of Disaster", kind of like Skynard for scene kids... www.myspace.com/mayleneandthesonsofdisast er
    He is also in Everett an indie band http://www.myspace.com/theeverett