Cries Of The Past Review

Underoath: Cries Of The Past
Release Date: Jul 4, 2000
Label: Takehold
Genres: Rock
Cries Of The Past firmly sits in the Underoath discography as one of the band's heaviest outings.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.7
 8.2
Cries Of The Past Reviewed by: Xbxg32000, on july 10, 2006

Sound: This album from Underoath is probably their second best album (probably only topped by The Changing of Times). I must say, I started off from listening to Underoath through "They're Only Chasing Safety" and grew attached to the band. So I decided to see what all the talk about "old Underoath" was about. So I came upon Act of Depression, Cries of the Past, and The Changing of Times. I must say, this album is intense. Everything from the timing in guitar riff changes to drumming is absolutely breathtaking. The musical composition along with violins and crisp screaming vocals make the five tracks on this album an amazing experience. The songs have raw emotions in them, as well as abrupt but beautiful changes such as in "Giving Up Hurts The Most" where the music temporarily stops as you hear: "My eyes look all around, and all they can focus on is you. For in you I find me." The violin and keyboards also add beautiful touches to these songs. The music is simply wonderful. // 10

Lyrics: The musical composition itself can be great enough; combined with the awesome screaming of Dallas Taylor, this album is top-notch. Many may find it hard to adjust to after listening to Spencer on their newer albums. However, give this album (along with "The Changing of Times" and "Act of Depression") a good two or three listens and you'll realize the beauty in them. The lyrics flow beautifully with the riffs, and with the addition of the violin in certain tracks, the musical experience is simply glorius. Dallas' screaming is raw and emotional, with crisp highs and heartshaking lows. The screaming on this album is much more emotional and intense than "They're Only Chasing Safety". Although I started out with "They're Only Chasing Safety", I am hooked on "Cries of the Past" and "The Changing of Times" much more. It seems as though the intense riffs and composition of these tracks may seem intimidating at first, even unorganizable, however, after "sinking in" to these tracks, only beauty can be heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This album certainly sparked my love for Dallas Taylor as the old Underoath vocalist. His lyrics and vocals were raw and intense, filled with emotion and beauty waiting to be unraveled by the listener. I really do hope that Dallas Taylor is living a wonderful life now. And I've read that his new-born son Corgan Taliaferro Taylor was recently born on January 29, 2006. The albums that Dallas Taylor set out (this, along with The Changing of Times and Act of Depression) are truly unique in their own way. His emotions and struggles can be seen in the beautiful musical composition within these songs. This album is inspiring to me and also a great way to see certain emotions and feelings in life. Comparing this album with "They're Only Chasing Safety", I must say that this album tops it easily. Although "They're Only Chasing Safety" may seem better on the ear at first, these songs seem "compressed with beauty". It's really a wonderful experience after listening to these songs several times and feeling the emotion. "Define The Great Line" has recently been released, and I've read that it has some attributes of old Underoath, so it should be a great album as well. But Dallas Taylor seems to have left a unique signature onto Underoath that will always be seen within his work in this album along with the other two albums in which he was the vocalist. I really love all the songs within this album, which are long--but NOT boring. Every song has a unique flow and breakdowns which keep the songs intense and beautiful. Truly a glorius album I must say. If this album were stolen (I do not own a copy) I would try my best to buy one from eBay, even if it were $100+ (since only 2000 of these albums were made and shipped; they are no longer produced). This album is that good. I thank you, Dallas Taylor, for creating this wonderful album along with The Changing Of Times and Act Of Depression. // 10

Cries Of The Past Reviewed by: COB4ever, on may 31, 2006

Sound: I was never into Underoath until I heard this CD. This was their last CD with Dallas on vocals and their last CD to be considered "old Underoath." The riffs are heavy as hell but still melodic, and the keyboards add a really creepy feel to the music. All the songs are over 7 minutes long, yet none of them bore me at all. // 10

Lyrics: Since this is a Christian band, all the lyrics are obviously about Jesus. Dallas Taylor is a great screamer who can scream both high and low. It's a shame he's not in the band anymore. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all their albums, this is by far the best one. Basically, that means it's better than their first album because every album after the first two has a completely different sound, which I personally hate. It's a shame the band isn't as good now as it was when they released this album, but then again almost every member in the band now is different. The best songs on this album are "The Last" and "Giving Up Hurts The Most." If this album were stolen I would throw a fit because it's discontinued now and would be very hard to find a copy of it. // 10

Cries Of The Past Reviewed by: cky9577, on june 21, 2006

Sound: I just started getting into these guys and even though it's not my style of music, I'm hooked! Underoath is completly amazing. In this amazing album Florida's finest go back to there metalcore religous roots. Even thought some Christian bands suck, this is deffinatly a band to check out. // 9

Lyrics: I never thought death and Christian metalcore would ever meet, but Underoath here has crossed the line into greatness. Spencer Chamberlain does an amazing job at vocals and screams. He can scream through out the whole song if he had to and as for Aaron Gillespie (drums/backup vocals) I never thought a drummer could have such good back up vocals, and never fail at what he does. // 10

Overall Impression: If you have ever listened to Aiden, Hawthorne Hieghts, and New AFI this CD is defentialy worth checking out. The most outstanding songs on this cd are probably the one songs without any words. It takes you from so pumped up and come back down to earth to relize what a great band your listing to. The only thing I hated about this cd was paying for it, CDs as great as this, I wish could be free. If "Define The Great Line" is the newest album by Florida's Finest then I can't wait to see what comes up next. // 10

Cries Of The Past Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 04, 2006

Sound: Underoath's sophmore album! And it lived up to their last album, and somehow managed to be better! Underoath still is metal-tastic, they still have Dallas with vocals, so enjoy it while you can cause soon, buh-bye Dallas, bye metal, but then they get an even better sound and even better singer, Spencer. "Cries Of The Past" is a Underoath-tastic album, so only real Underoath fans are going to love it. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics continue to be awesome, just like on all Underoath albums. The lyrics tie in better with the music than the last album, but honestly, could still use some work. I could rave on how amazing Underoath is, but I'm sure you have better things to do. To sum up: Great band, great vocals, great lyrics, great album, thus Underoath - great. // 8

Overall Impression: "Cries Of The Past" compares a lot to Underoath's first CD "Act Of Depression" The most impressive songs on this album are all of them. They're all awesome. But my favorite in order "Giving Up Hurts The Most," "Walking Away," "Cries Of The Past," "And I Dreamt Of You" and "The Last." I love everything about this album, and real Underoath fan's will love these guys too! // 10

Cries Of The Past Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2008

Sound: One of the things I love about this album is the guitar work. They keep you on the edge of your seat with quick riff changes, brutal palm muted riffs, insane tremolo picking, and amazing solos. The addition of a second guitarist for this album enables Corey Steger to really play some pretty sick riffs. Aaron Gillespie's drumming also is very well done. His bass pedals are magnificent, and the fills are extremely creative. He was very young when this album came out, but the drumming could have you thinking it was played by a much older and more experienced drummer. I love how this album is both metal and very melodic. It seems as if the whole band had spent years writing this, but it was written in just about a year. // 10

Lyrics: Both of the first two Underoath CDs have amazing lyrics and vocals. It is so fun to hear how Dallas changes his tone of voice without even missing a beat. He stays consistent throughout every song, which is beyond belief with the shortest song in length on the album still clocking in over seven minutes. His high vocals are crisp, and his growls are insane. The lyrics are well written and there is meaning to each and every word screamed, or growled, on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall in my opinion these five songs would be the ones I would pick to listen to every single day. The vocals and lyrics are brilliant, and the two guitarists keep the riffs fresh and having you wonder how they come up with it. The frequent key changes and twists and turns give this album an almost epic feel. Dallas's voice goes well with each song, and his touch tops off each song making all of them different in every way. One of the most fascinating things about this album is that each song is over seven minutes and not one thing is repetitive about this album. You would never catch myself thinking "this part is boring" because each one is packed full of energy and emotion. Even the longest song ever recorded by Underoath, And I Dreamt of You, never gets old throughout the full eleven minutes of the song. Just give this album a listen, and you'll see what I mean. // 10

Comments