Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

The first thing you will recognize about this album is that it takes us back to the old days, old Underoath. It breaks away from the melodic, catchy songs on You're Only Chasing Safety to some heavy stuff that ultimately shaped Underoath from the beginning. This album is much heavier without a doubt, and maybe Underoath will even lose fans over this? Reguardless, Define The Great Line is truely Underoath, not some studio over-done, watered down, poppy album as You're Only Chasing Safety was turning out to be. Even after turning it up a noch, Underoath was still able to call upon their roots and remain a very much Christian band. The album title alone is based upon the fact that everyone has a "line" they follow each and everyday. It doesn't nessasarily mean we have everything figured out, it just means that it is where you want to be, and how you plan to better yourself as a human being. You are constantly falling off it, and it's about knowing at the end of the day, how to get back on it. But even the 5th track on the album, Salmamir, Psalm 50 is read in Russian. Apparently Underoath is one ofthose bands that just always loves to try something new, but never forget where you come from or what you stand for.

I think Spencer is still an amazing vocalist. Simply put, he always brings it. On Define the Great Line, you can tell he has grown as a singer and he has a lot less singing than their previous release. This cd is mostly his harsh, passionate, screaming that I have come to love. Except this time around, he has developed quite a range. As for the lyrics, they're great. They talk abot self-confrontation and freaking out when the world is about to end. They're about saying things and doing things before it's too late and defining that line you live upon.

As I said before, this album is very much like The Changing Of Times. It's very heavy and not quite as sing-along as You're Only Chasing Safety was. It's a different turn in the road for Underoath, but I think it is a very good move. My personal favorite songs on the album are probably A Moment Suspended In Time and Writing On the Walls. But don't get me wrong, they're all good. And for once, I don't think there was a track I didn't like, except for maybe Everyone Looks So Good From Here. If some jerk stole this CD, I wouldn't buy another one because I already have it uploaded and in the iPod. They're amazing little things, when they aren't broken, aren't they?

COB4ever
    carsonh76
    the past two albums and this one i think are better than cries of the past/acts depression. good album
    pollodiablo
    who wants to bet on how long it takes modernmusich8ter to write a review? ive got my money on tomorow
    scoochiefoo
    jake182 said go to hell? do you realize who your name idolises? anyway.... I dont think i like it as much as the previous album.... along with non-screaming vocals left the catchy hooks, but its an ok album
    LakeboDom
    if people wanna talk crap about underoath go post a topic about it but not here.
    fxt_fella
    It's a waaaaay better album that TOCS. It's not quite back to the old school Underoath, but getting there. I think that they've kept the strengths from TOCS and gone back to their roots. Good album, especially "Writing on the Walls" - great song to drum along to.
    Affinity120
    Firstly this album is absoloutley fantastic and im happy to see underoath continue to get better with each album and try new things, the last 3 albums have varied so much from each other and theyve all been great, underoath is an awesome band and this is an awesome cd weather you like it or not.
    Zamboni
    COB4ever wrote: this is so different from cries of the past/acts depression underoath...so disappointing
    I hate people like you who can't accept that a band evolves and doesn't regurgitate the same album back time and time again. There's only one original member of the band remaining for christ's sake. Accept some change, dumbass. AND. Spam deleted