Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

I've come to find that Underoath is not only truly annointed by God, but on this album they proved it to the world. Not only has Spencer grown vastly in the screaming arts, but as well as the deep tones. When I first heared this album the first thing that popped in my head was where the heck did the piano go? I mean he's still there but this cd I feel was based a lot more on heavy guitars and they did a dang good job at it. I honestly don't really remembering the old Underoath sounding like this. Sometimes I'll be honest it was like they were repeating the same riffs over and over again. Don't get me wrong I love Underoath, but Define The Great Line is by far hands down, no contest the best Underoath Yet. More screaming alot less singing then on They're Only Chasing Safety. This album not only defines the Great Line, but it also defines metal, not screamo such as TOCS. This time they like what they did.

The Lyrics are very deep and powerful for anyone who has been in a situation when they feel if God is even there. Everyone gets it. But Underoath's lyrics are always compforting because it tells you that someone else hurts the same you do, and That Our Lord Jesus Christ will see you through anything. The screamer Spencer spills his guts out onto the mic while Aaron has the emo voice to keep any depressed kid happy. And the strength in the throat's of both vocalists is so destructive it matches perfectly with the heavy guitars.

Personally I hate absolutely no songs whatsoever on this album because they are all so moving. My personal fav. is In Regards To Myself, Returning Empty Handed, Moving For The Sake Of Motion, and Writing On The Walls. I love the complexity that Tim and James have brought out on Define The Great Line. Like on songs such as Casting Such A Thin Shadow, and Everyone Looks So Good From Here. If this CD was jacked from me it's so worth buying 9 times over again.

Dattt
    "Define The Great Line" further establishes Underoath as one of the most important and influential bands in rock music today.
    Are you serious?
    herdrich
    STRAT811
    What sort of stuff is on the DVD?
    in-studio 30 minute feature (you can catch it on fuse all the time), a thing on the photoshoot for the album art which is kinda cool if youre into all of that, and a random first hand account of a ufo sighting (kin of a secret. at the main menu, it will default to highlighting the in studio. hit the up arrow and it will highlight the man in the background. click it for this feature)
    FireHazard
    first time i listened to underoath was last year. i listened to 10 seconds of a song, and never listened again. they are dreadfully bad. i don't see the point in wasting $15 on this album., you could just go in your room, turn distortion all the way up, and scream...and that'd be BETTER music than underoath's.
    SL!!!
    i saw underoath when they were on tour with thrice. they played pretty well, and put on a good show. but the piano and guitars got annoying. and the vocals all sounded the same. everything blurred. i have heard some of this cd and it sounds better, but i'm still not a fan.
    tragik
    disappointing from someone who moderately enjoyed TOCS. I am not a huge Underoath fan, but from this album I noticed a complete absence of melody that I enjoyed on TOCS.
    injured234
    they gave this a 9.5 but give pavement a 7.8, they have no clue what music is.
    ice_wiz
    [quote=herdich]this band sucks so bad i can't believe they get so much love. here's a message to all the kids who like underoath: stop listening to songs about dying and feigned depression and tell these bands to **** off and live your life![/quote] They aren't talking about depression and death, they're talking about Christianity and what's it's like to be a Christian. They are very up-lifting and you aren't going to go kill yourself after listening to them. So take a listen, you'll see for yourself.
    CrashedTheShow3
    This album was sickkkk. I personally like A Moment Suspended In Time, and Moving For The Sake Of Motion. Has anyone else noticed that Spencer cant scream for shit tho? If youve seen them live, or have there special Edition TOCS, you can see that he is all over the place with highs and lows. I think they put a bunch of efects in his voice on the albums. but i still think he's alot better than Dallas.
    pdpdrummer232
    ok well most def this album is heavier ....if some of you guys....like me heard the second album then the first you were shoked on the change .....but i hav to say this album is in the middle of the both sound wise.....ill- ass guitar riffs ....nice vocals....aaron and spencer hav got in down and.....aarons drumming i think is better....(cuz im a drummer too)....but spencer's screaming has gottn more metal-ish and depper....and less emo....but i like it is good ....the album is most def a 9.5...maybe a 10 the only thing thing is tyhat compared to There Only Chasing Saftey...is that there more screaming and not as much singing.....but who cares ....ROCK ON UNDEROATH
    crash_course
    Artisan_Bassist wrote: This CD is very in-your-face. That was something I personally didn't like as much about TOCS, it wasn't as hard. Amazing CD. Weird thing was, I bought the CD at Best Buy and the deluxe edition with the DVD was a dollar cheaper than the regular version....I'm not complaining, though!
    besides that the only diffeference is when you put it on your computer. the reg version has the ''in Underath while the dvd doesn't but yeah just stick with buying both if you want
    HH_Emo_666
    I think this cd is one of the best cd's I've ever bought. Just because they changed the way they make music over time gives you the right to say "Oh, well since they were different and much better a couple of years ago, I think their new cd sucks" thats gay so dont do that. If you like a band then you like it and should respect their change. Getting away from fighting about that .. this cd is great. They have great lyrics and drumming and guitars in it. They rock!
    Artisan_Bassist
    Ambulance X
    COB4ever wrote: this is so different from cries of the past/acts depression underoath...so disappointing
    Too bad Cries of the Past and Acts of Depression sucked =]
    GumbyEater
    i saw them at taste of chaos over a year ago and they suuuuucked... Now I'm listening to these albums and I really like them. I think this is a clear cut case of excellent producing talent making great studio records. regardless, my rule is if it sounds good, listen to it, and this new album definitely sounds good.
    llama_slap
    all of underoaths albums suck hard a-s-s! but when i listened to this one, this one is good.
    japandrew
    so alot of people are saying that spencer is the singer/scream and the sole lyricist in the band. this is not true. they are forgetting about the amzingly talented drummer/singer that is aaron gilespie. he is the one that did the singing and most of the writing of the lyrics, although on this album spencer did write alot more than on they're only chasing safety. but anyways corrections aside, this album is amazing. defenitely heavier than their last one. spencer has matured in his screaming by getting more range and developing a better sound. they broke out of the typical scremo genre and gave ppl something different that they can really grab hold of. anyways this is one of my fav albums already and im sure it will stay that way for a long time