Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

Imagine Norma Jean meets Spencer Chamberlain's old band This Runs Through with hints of Every Time I Die and you have Define the Great Line. After the poppiness of They're Only Chasing Safety (the poppiness being a pre-cautionary move on the part of the original band members), Underoath has found their sound with Spencer. Spencer's vocals are no longer the same monotonous high screams and now he really shows off his range and improves upon his vocals in This Runs Through. His vocals range from a shrill scream to a mind-blowing guttural scream. Guitarists Tim McTague and James Smith have also grown up on this album. Their guitar style is so heavy, I was surprised to learn they didn't downtune to Drop C. They make good use of dissonance chords, especially dissonance chords on the A and D strings. The guitar style combines parts of The Changing of Times and They're Only Chasing Safety and include hints of Norma Jean and Every Time I Die. The band has really grown up and proven themselves capable of developing a sound all their own.

The lyrics are a lot less poppy in this album and have a darker, more mature nature. UnderOATH uses drummer Aaron Gillespie a lot less as a singer in this album and Spencer really shows off his range. The vocals are probably the best part of this album.

Underoath has proven themselves able to produce a sound outside the faceless, corporate popcore that plagues the music industry right now. This easily exceeds any of their previous works and is a stunner. This is easily an album of the year contender and it left me and I'm sure everyone else pleasantly surprised.

crash_course
    STRAT811 wrote: (you can catch it on fuse all the time)
    i'd have to by it because my cable company is gay and doesn't have fuse and i can only see it at my dad's house and he doesn't like my taste in music
    SteveHouse
    Artisan_Bassist wrote: Weird thing was, I bought the CD at Best Buy and the deluxe edition with the DVD was a dollar cheaper than the regular version....I'm not complaining, though!
    Really. Why, I may need to take a trip to Best Buy then!
    SteveHouse
    STRAT811 wrote: in-studio 30 minute feature (you can catch it on fuse all the time), a thing on the photoshoot for the album art which is kinda cool if youre into all of that, and a random first hand account of a ufo sighting (kin of a secret. at the main menu, it will default to highlighting the in studio. hit the up arrow and it will highlight the man in the background. click it for this feature)
    A UFO easter egg? That IS completely random, then. Wow.
    guitar_man_dct
    Well, I love UnderOath... Not so much their old stuff, but...its ok... I love this album to death!! Not as catchy as TOCS... But, TOCS is a classic to me, that is another great album... Go UnderOath woot woot!!
    AsILayLiving
    When I first heard In regards to myself on Purevolume.com i knew that there would be a lot of fans who dont like it, and then there will be a lot of new fans that do like it. Underoath has said many times they dont want to make the same record twice. they definately proved that. I absolutely loooved there only chasing safety, i loved every song on the record. I was so into underoath like a lot of other people. so to make another ecord, and have it better than there only chasing safety would be 1 in a 1000. i liked there new cd, not as good as there old, but im not mad. I just wish aaron sung a little more in define the great line.
    ohhey_itsandy
    I agree with the first review that Underoath may or may not loose fans over this heavier, back to the roots, type of cd. For example, my friend that I got away from rap (hooray!) really enjoyed TOCS, but when I bought this and played it in the car with him, he was kind of quiet about it. But I think they will start to get more fans from the heavier crowd. Back to the subject, this CD owns. Spencer sounds amazing, its a must buy.