Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

Their sound has moved from that 'popcore' sound to an awesome metal essence. I showed a friend who's been an Underoath fan for a while and he didn't recognize them at first, all he said was 'these guys are metalcore!' But what defines alot of this album is it's not just heavy music the whole way through. Tracks like Salmarnir, Casting Such A Thin Shadow, and To Whom It May Concern, all show the emotional side of the band's instrumentals. Also, the use of an e-bow on the guitar tracks for the latter two added a great effect. The way that Tim, Grant, and James put together the strings riff's in more of a style like The Chariot or Norma Jean is too cool. Aaron's drumming is like wow. Returning Empty Handed is a handful just to listen to all the different hit's he's making. Then Spencer's vox have gone from that screamo to the full on hardcore growl, reminiscent of Tim Lambesis from As I Lay Dying. Accompanied by Aaron's higher punk voice, the two never seem to clash but work together great. Overall sound is a great improval, although They're Only Chasing Safety was a great album too.

Right away, I saw the lyrics in this album were well thought out and full of meaning. None of the songs disappointed this thought. Like To Whom It May Concern's lyrics are all about keeping your head up (as far as the intro with Aaron), which is great for all the kids experiencing depression. Music is a huge part of culture nowadays, and these guys are setting it all out in the right way. It's so cool Underoath is moving up and getting into the mainstream, with lyrics like what they have on Define, they're certain to have a good effect.

This album definitely has a metal feel, even more of a core feel to it, which is awesome. Spencer's vocals compare mostly to Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying, and Matt Heafy from Trivium. The string instrumentals compare I'd say to The Chariot or Norma Jean (who Josh Scogin shaped both, maybe he's got an effect). The drums on this album are killer, Aaron is a crazy drummer. Songs like Returning Empty Handed (my personal fav), Moving For The Sake Of Motion, and In Regards To Myself are the heaviest tracks of the album. The intro riff on Regards is complete reminiscence of Norma Jean. To me, it's too cool that they're staying with their hardcore/metal roots and still taking a huge part in the music scene.

GreenScreenMovi
    86th fret
    GreenScreenMovi wrote: Spencers screaming is pretty bad though, theres a hundred metal bands around here that can scream circles around him, including me (I'm not a concieted dick, just honest), not a bad band though, just the screaming, singings alright to, a little overrated though.
    spencers screaming is way more unique than most other metal bands who's screams sounds like some retarded monster animal.
    hammet_malakian
    toolfan_121 wrote: There is no place for christian metal bands in my world.
    yeah, but the fact that there also screamo makes it 10000 times worse
    fret13
    underoath is great. i love this cd because ijust bought it today and listened to it an umpteen number of times but after all that i miss the more melodious its dangerous buisiness walking out your front door. dont get me wrong though this cd is awesome. (almost as good as Red)
    sg4ever
    Dudes, just chill. If it's not your style, just don't listen to it. If it is rock on! I mean, why do you think theres blues, pop, rock, rap, jazz, metal, punk, emo, screamo, and classical music? It would be a sad world if everyone liked the same type of music. It would also be pretty messed up if everyone had toolfan_121's mouth. Some of us are christians and we like chrisrian music(OBVIOUSLY)!