Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

So I bought this CD way back in like 7th grade when it first came out. At the time, I wasn't into screamo and I didn't care much for it. I saw the commercial for it on Fuse and for some reason I had the impulse to get it to see what this band was about because I loved the song on the commercial (Writings On The Wall). I listened to the CD and was shocked. This CD was something different than I had ever heard. I gradually listened to it more and more and by now it is one of my favorite CDs of all time. I read or saw an interview with Underoath and they said that they didn't want people to love their songs immediately but for it to kind of grow on you and learn to love the music. This statement was so true because they steer clear of the pop rock music that people listen to nowadays. The sound goes from very smooth and calm like in Salamarnir to aggresive and energetic in the opener, In Regards To Myself. The sound was very new to me but very driving and melodic. The dissonance used is not irritating but powerful in it's usage throughout the CD. Overall, this CD has accomplished being very new and different and in a good way.

Underoath's lyrics are always very deep and are appealing to the emotions. They are christian but they sing about different things that they are feeling. The first song, In Regards To Myself opens to fire the listener up with screaming and perfect, convicting lyrics. The singer, Spencer Chamberlain, is obviously one of the best screamers out there and to counter the screaming with his high, melodic voice is Aaron Gillespie. The two make one of the best vocal duos out there.

Underoath has become my favorite band through this CD. The whole CD is amazing but my favorites are In Regards to Myself, You're Ever So Inviting, and Everyone Looks So Good From Here. This CD is less mainstream than their preceding CD "They're Only Chasing Safety" but almost expands on it on a deeper level. I happened to get lucky and the Special Edition with the DVD was on sale and was cheaper than the normal album price.

tmh1130
    toolfan_121 wrote: There is no place for christian metal bands in my world.
    Afi_rocker_91
    this cd is pretty sick! i love the heavier screams/music and all that! though TOCS was a really cathcy album i loved it This was just another great album put out by a great band
    Afi_rocker_91
    !normajean! wrote: injured234 wrote: toolfan_121 wrote: There is no place for christian metal bands in my world. there is no room for them in anyones world you dudes are SO lame...i love Christian music! its pretty lame if you dont like a band because of their religion. Jesus Christ is freakin awesome! get over it!
    Woot !normajean! your my hero
    Shredder Guitar
    i love this album... the DVD that comes with the Special Edition is so cool too. "he actually brings rig with him so he can play halo on the road. wow, right?" lol
    rebreh
    tmh1130 wrote: toolfan_121 wrote: There is no place for christian metal bands in my world. Yah umm. who are they. Creed was the only good christian rock band Why not? It's still metal, whether the band is Christian or not. Some of the most popular bands in the hardcore/metal genre are Christian: August Burns Red, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Haste the Day, Demon Hunter, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, etc.