Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

This album can be summed up in one word: wow! This is a huge step up from "They're Only Chasing Safety". The maturation of Spencer and Aaron as vocalists greatly impact this album. They've traded in their pop/screamo for almost metalcore. It might be crazy to say, but that's the best way to describe it. This sounds more like Spencer finding his own voice, rather than trying to emulate Dallas Taylor. Fans of TOCS might be just a bit taken back by this album, but die hard UO fans will love it.

Unlike a lot bands, instead of singing about struggles with relationships and fights with friends, underOath sings of struggles with one's self, which I think is on a much higher plane. Their lyrics have a deeper, christian meaning. An example of this is "In Regards to Myself". It's basically Spencer telling listeners to "come clean and get it off their chests", meaning to confess your sins, and seek God's forgiveness. And the best example: "Salamarnir" is Spencer's cousin reading Psalms: 20 in Russian. Being a Christian, I really respected that.

Overall, I think this is the best album UO has done. They've completely come into their own, almost escaping categorization. Crunchy riffs, like that of "In Regards To Myself" really make this album stand out among other Screamo artists. "Returning Empty Handed" and "Moving for the Sake of Motion" were easily the heaviest tracks, with completely insane drumming on the latter. "Writing On The Walls" is so emotional, it's like Spencer and Aaron put their soul into the song when they sing. This was probably the best track, behind "Returning Empty Handed" and "Moving For The Sake Of Motion". If this were lost or stolen I would more than definitely buy it again, as underOath is my all-time favorite band. Now, go out and buy this album.

panhead444
    actually hes right. screaming is no talent. screaming is a replacement for people who cant sing not one good note.and im saying that and i actually like the band. And you need to stop calling people idoits. you ****ing dumbass. also.....stop being concerned what their religon is.....its none of your business....just listen to the damn music
    ok.... first off, yes it takes alot of talent to scream!! [just go try it and youll find that out] secondly, its not ok for him[or her] to call someone an idiot when that person is just tryin to find something to bash??.... but its ok for u to call him an efin dumb***, i dont know about u, but i think thats plain WRONG, so take the plank out of ur own eye before u touch the speck in his eye..... btw.... how would u feel if u made a cd and all we did was say how terrible it was??! SO SHOW SOME RESPECT!!!!
    punkforlife93
    Underoath is awesome. And for all of you dissing Jesus, we'll be the ones laughing when your burning in hell, but that doesnt give u the right to talk smack about underoath. Get your heads out of the gutter. JESUS RULEZ
    valley boy
    herdrich wrote: this band sucks so bad i can't believe they get so much love. here's a message to all the kids who like underoath: stop listening to songs about dying and feigned depression and tell these bands to **** off and live your life!
    shut your mouth!! if you dont like them, then dont post here
    valley boy
    blaksh0t wrote: Okay, so i'll try not to beat the crap out of the people who said this album sucks because this happens to be my favorite band in the universe. But anyways, I didn't even like screamo before I heard this album. The lyrics, vocals, guitars, just everything blew my mind. And since I hadn't heard screams before, I had no idea what the heck Spencer was saying in the vocals, but after I looked at the lyrics, I could hear him perfectly. It was kinda weird, actually. But more importantly, I was shocked to see that the lyrics weren't at all depressing. In fact, they are largely uplifting. I know I'll get killed for this, but the deal with my view on emo is that it's all about "she broke my heart, I'll cut my wrists". No offense to any emos, btw. But this album changed my mind. True, many Underoath fans will kill me for calling them emo, but its good in this case. I think now that emo is all about self-confrontation and facing the inevitable. All in all, Underoath just rocks. And all who disagree, I pity u. Your missing out on music in its purest form.
    ^amen to that!! I was the exact same way towards metal before I heard this album.
    underfan15
    Wow this album was freaking insane. I can't wait for the next album; Tim off UO said it's gonna be WAAAY heavier than DtGL
    Thapumpkineater
    A Moment Suspended in Time is my favorite track on the CD, I got into Underoath when I saw the music video for it on Fuse.