Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

I'd heard one song, "Writing On The Walls", on I think it was "17 Christian rock hits" or something, and I started listening to it more and more, I couldn't really understand what they were saying, and the possibility of Christian heavy metal fascinated me. So, I searched for Underoath on video.aol.com, and found more and more songs from these guys, and I had the lyrics right there on the computer, so I was amazed. See, my parents had taught me that songs which you couldn't understand it, they were talking about Satan backwards. Boy, were they wrong! As I listened more and more, I finally found out they had a new CD out, so I went out and got it. I was amazed, and it didn't leave my CD plyer for a while, until I got an MP3 Player lol. So, the sound of course is very heavy, although getting more into Christian metal, I found out Underoath is actually kind of soft these days! I later found out the CD was a lot about the childhood of the screamer, Spencer Chamberlain.

Considering it was a Christian band, I kind of expected them to talk about Christ, and not speak in cryptic metaphors etc. But even if so, the band really outdid themselves. The lyrics are actually very deep, you have to think about what it is that they're saying. If you take it word for word, you'll think they're high or something! Spencer really knows how to scream, although his deep screaming isn't really all that great, honestly. They say he was taking voice lessons, and I believe it, considering I didn't hear any low screams in "they're only chansing safety". But, the lyrics mostly talk about struggle, although "in regards to myself" is actually a song pleading non-Christians to convert, and "to whom it may concern" is about going on, moving on with your life after struggle, because you'll eventually "find what you've been (looking) for". Also, Aaron Gillepsie, the emo-voice singer, is quite good too. Considering he plays the drums, true sings, is colorblind in one eye and blind in the other, he really out-does himself.

Wow. These guys are awesome, they really know how to make you think, and they give a good song as well! I'd probably compare it to, say, Demon Hunter, and maybe Norma Jean's "Redeemer" CD. My favorite songs on the album are "In Regards To Myself", "There Could Be Nothing After This", "Moving For The Sake Of Motion", and "A Moment Suspended In Time". I love how they're not afraid to say, "yeah, we're a Christian band". I can't really say I hate anything about the CD. I would probably but it again, and this time this deluxe edition, if it were stolen or lost.

punkextremest
    Dont forget that Cries of the past/ Acts of depression Were when the band were bordering black metal now TOCS was more screamo as is this album but this album is still much better.