Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

Underoath is one of those bands that pass and they leave a mark in music, the guys have been playing for almost 7 years and right now they released this new record that surpassed the expectatives that they imagined. The album went Gold with 98,000 copies sold the first week and stayed on 2nd place right behind Nelly Furtado newest CD "Loose". it's a new ride for those of you that try to find new sounds, you should listen to it.

Although many lyrics are verses that talk about having faith, the songwriting leaves me with a good impression, the lyrics are complex and in a certain way you will notice that they are talkin about God. The instruments make a great company for the lyrics, since the guitars and keyboards make a great duo for creating this unique sound that all their 11 songs have. Spencer Chamberlain developed a way of screaming that impressed me, since many metal vocalists out there goes non stop screaming through the whole song, you may find many metal vocalists the same. But Spencer discovered a way to combine screaming with singing, the drummer Aaron Gillespie helps him with the melodic singing behind him and it keeps the originality of this record.

It has no comparison, it is a new sound that many bands out there can't get. The sound of this record impressed me, I feel that every instrument is playing but at the same time every instrument is kind of "masking" itself. To clarify my point I suggest you should listen to these songs: Writing On The Walls, Salmarnir, A Moment Suspended In Time, To Whom It May Concern, Casting Such A Thin Shadow. What I really give a lot of props in this album is the fact that all the instruments didn't have the need to sound so obvious in the record, since the majority of the time the keyboards and the drums help every other instruments and even both of them sound better. What I don't like about this record is the changing of singing and screaming of Spencer, it is too sudden and every shift leaves his voice kinda rusty. I live in Panama, and the rock scene and the metal scene slowly faded from this country, it is very small this scene over here and I had to buy this record from another country, so if I my copy gets stolen or lost I'll have the necessity to buy another one from the same country, although I uploaded the CD to my computer.

Give_em Hell
    herdrich wrote: this band sucks so bad i can't believe they get so much love. here's a message to all the kids who like underoath: stop listening to songs about dying and feigned depression and tell these bands to **** off and live your life!
    Ok dumbass... at least they talk about god listen to aboy brushed red off TOCS... ok talking about God not wanting sex before mariage... and listen to stupid nickelback who talks a bout bien a rockstar cuz they suck and Underoath is ****ing amazing