Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

This band is outright great, and as of now is one of my favorite bands. I've owned this album for the past three months, and I can't get enough of it. The guitar is incredibly effective and technical, implicating elements of mathcore in Underoath's style. Define the Great Line is heavier than They're Only Chasing Safety by a long shot, and worth a billion good listens. The band is so diverse in their musical styles, from the drum heavy Returning Empty Handed, to the cool riffs demonstrated in the song In Regards to Myself, to even the orgasmic (not a typo) Writing on the Walls. Every time I hear this CD, it impresses me in a new way. Good work, Underoath.

The lyrics to Define the Great Line are clearly concerned with the ending of earth and Jesus coming to save his people, but also diverse subjects dealing with things outside Christianity. The lyrics wouldn't seem to work as well as they do with the music style of this band, but the execution of it is flawless. And then the singing, great as well. Spencer Chamberlain's voice is outright immense, and when I first heard the CD I thought Underoath had two screamers. And then Aaron Gillespie, just as great, in a different way. He sings the clean parts really well, and completes Underoath, along with his drumming.

01. In Regards To Myself - this has one of the strongest opening riffs to a CD that I've ever heard, and it's an excellent get-pumped song. The lyrics are great too, and it is a great opening track to the album. 02. A Moment Suspended In Time - this was originally my favorite song on the album because of how Spencer and Aaron's vocals flow together so seamlessly. I still really love it, as well as the lyrics in it. 03. There Could Be Nothing After This - this song for me was good, but overall, it was the most meh song on the album. The opening lyrics are really good, but it just didn't have much of an effect on me though. The outro for this song/intro for the next one is great though. 04. You're Ever So Inviting - this song is one of my favorite songs on the album, and it has such great flow and guitar. The pace of it changes abruptly too. My #4 of the album currently. 05. Salmarnir - for a while, when I got the CD, this was the one song I skipped, because it seemed so boring. But after a while of forgetting to skip it, I got hooked. Not my favorite song, but still good. 06. Returning Empty Handed - the drumming on this song is completely amazing, as well as the killer guitar riffs. I can't get this song down on guitar, it's so fast and great and the singing/screaming is great too. Some of the effects on the guitar make me just go wow. #3 on the album. 07. Casting Such A Thin Shadow - a good song, but you have to let it grow on you. Overall a really cool song, not much to say. Very good flow. 08. Moving For The Sake Of Motion - the drumming on this song is once again completely epic. And there's some riffs that pop out at you, especially the little soloish thing and the breakdown riffs. #5 on the album. 09. Writing On The Walls - this song is amazing. There's nothing else to say. As I said before orgasmic. Seriously. My #1 on the album. 10. Everyone Looks So Good From Here - this song is freaking explosive. It's so intense and action-packed, perfect for headbangage. And the first time I listened to it (I had my big bass headphones on), towards the end there's like a 15 second pause where it's fading out. But then suddenly boom! It just completely explodes in your face, and I actually jumped. Amazing. #2 on the album. 11. To Whom It May Concern - a good song, but not very defining. Nothing to say, it just is beautiful in it's own way. If this ever got stolen, I wouldn't just buy another copy, I'd buy one, and then I'd hunt down and kill the bastard that stole it. But seriously, this is amazing, and one of my all time favorite albums.

martyrdood
    good shit =]]] and to the haters, we listen to what we want, we love it, so piss off.