Define The Great Line review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 20, 2006
Underoath: Define The Great Line

How can you not love this album? With songs like "Writing on the Walls" "In Regards to Myself" and "You're Ever So Inviting" how can you possibly go wrong? I'll listen to these guys over and over and over and over and over and it never gets repetitive. Starting off with "In Regards to Myself", the riff at the start, it's what you'd expect from the likes of Underoath, never lets off for two seconds, sounds very dark and heavy, I like it. From there "A Moment Suspended in Time" blows our ass out the window, and we get another taste of heavy, rhytmic Underoath melodies. I'm just going to cover two other songs in some detail, "You're Ever so Inviting" puts our ass further out the window, while still maintaining what I call medlody and rhythm. They're not loud for the sake of it, they're loud cause they're Underoath, and it's like Spencer and Aaron were designed to sing together. This song only needs one word to describe it, perfect, "Writing on the Walls" is perfect technically, rhymically and vocally, one of their best ever in my opinion. When I play this CD I never play it quietly, I play it loud, until the police come around. The neighbours generally complain about the music I play. They say it isn't possible for a CD to sound so good, so they call the police to make me tell them where I got it from.

If you look upo the lyrics to Underoath's songs, you'll find they actually contain really deep messages, it's gorgeous the way they make their music, they elaborate on how time is short, and include bits of pieces of their religious beliefs. Another theme covered in detail is the luster of an ex-girlfriend, and how you can't shake that feeling. They cover many more topics but I can't cover them all. The only downside is that you sometimes can't make sense of the screaming but still a 10.

A few of the songs puzzle me, such as "Slmarnir", I'm not to sure what's going on there, but to be completely unbiased I'd have to give it a nine, it isn't the perfect album but it is the album I will never lose, as I'd keep this thing in a safe. Underoath have produced something which is heavy but still lingers in the likes of They're Only Chasing Saftey, and it's what makes that brutal combination even better.

Co&Ca11
    I hated this kind of music until my friend told me to check these guys out a few years back, this album absolutely blew my mind