(Disambiguation) review by Underoath

• Released: Nov 9, 2010
Underoath: (Disambiguation)

Underoath's seventh studio album titled or Disambiguation was released on Tuesday, November 9th. I have to say this is probably their best album yet. With Spencer Chamberlain becoming the groups only vocalist and Daniel Davison taking the kit for Aaron Gillespie, the group has not lost a step in their music. The initial vibe of the record is very heavy and slow. There are not many fast tunes on this record. With that in mind the main difference in the groups sound is Spencer's ability to sing. In my opinion Aaron's voice was a bit whiny. Spencer's singing on this record is very strong. Even though Spencer has sung before, on Disambiguation the parts where he is singing seem to be just right for him. Spencer really shines on the songs Catch Myself, Paper Lung, Driftwood, Who Will Guar, Vacant Mouth and In Completion. I think it's safe to say Underoath will survive without Aaron Gillespie. For the most part the group as a whole stayed true to the Underoath sound of the last two records. One the song My Detiorate the group is clearly channeling Every Time I Die. Infact the first time I heard that song I had to check my ITunes to see if I changed the song by accident. What sets Disambiguation apart from LITSOS and DTGL is the raw energy that is portrayed in this record. Disambiguation has an underlying grittiness too it. It does not seem flashy or big like the groups other albums. It very much seems like Underoath went to town and just made music. The record is more natural, and not forced.

It will be interesting to see how Spencer will hold up for future albums. I never really though of Spencer as the main vocalist of the group. His singing style is a key seller on Disambiguation. With Aaron gone it will be interesting to see how Spencer will grow as a vocalist. Lyrically, there is not much God preaching going on. There are parts where Spencer is talking about change and hope for life. Really typical Underoath messages at times. On the song My Deteriorate it gets really clear that he is channeling Keith Buckley of Every Time I Die. He sounds exactly like Keith Buckley at times on this song. Again I can not praise Spencer enough for keeping the singing alive with Underoath. He does a great job of really putting his voice behind the music.

I've only been a fan of Underoath for a few years. In fact I first started off hating them. They were just too whiny and girly for a metal head like me at the time. I'm quite happy to see they have matured a lot. Their last few records changed my opinion on them and made me a believer. Between the heaviness, slow chugging and Spencer Chamberlain's ability to fill in wonderfully for Aaron Gillespie, this is probably their best record yet. I recommend Disambiguation for any music lover out their.