Lost In The Sound Of Separation review by Underoath

• Released: Sep 2, 2008
Underoath: Lost In The Sound Of Separation

When I heard Lost in the Sound of Separation was coming out, I decided that I would try and get my hands on it as soon as I could. I pre-ordered it, but undisciplined as I was, I listened to it as soon as it was released on Myspace. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed - this album is mind-blowing. It isn't quite as heavy as it was rumored to be, but it was definitely just as dark as they said it would be. The heaviness is right along the same lines as Define the Great Line, but it is definitely more unique and dark. The technical craftsmanship for Underoath is amazing, though they've never been shred lords. From heavy, almost Southern oriented riffs (similar to the old Underoath member Dallas Taylor's band Maylene and the Sons of Disaster) as shown in the opener, Breathing In A New Mentality, to the heavy, driving riffs in The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed, to the softer but still impressive musical ballads Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear and Desolate Earth:: The End Is Here. This band continues to impress with an even stronger effort than Define the Great Line musically, and the flow is almost flawless.

The screaming for Spencer Chamberlain has matured intensely, as well as his singing, though he doesn't always show his range extensively. His screams are louder, more emotional, more heartfelt, and overall more intense. His best songs vocally are definitely the pumping, ear blasting Anyone Can Dig A Hole, But It Takes A Man To Live In It and The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed. Aaron Gillespie provides a unique compliment to his voice with his powerful, amazing clean vocals, most impressive in the songs A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine and Too Bright to See, Too Loud to Hear. I'm not sure whether or not Timothy McTague sings much in this. But one of the more outstanding aspects of Underoath in this album is the lyrics, which have improved vastly from the effort sent forth by DTGL. Some of my favorite lyrics are the opening ones to Desperate Times, Desperate Measures, which go, I've been crawling around in the dark for a while, sprawled out across the floor, not collecting dust anymore. Define me a parasite, define my host. Then there are the blatantly truthful lyrics in Anyone Can Dig A Hole But It Takes A Man To Call It Home, I'm no leader I'm just a mess. It's not the way it's supposed to be, it's just the way that it is. Lastly, my favorite lyrical song has the darkest lyrics, in The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed. Spencer screams throatily, This is where they all throw me to the wolves, dragged behind and trampled on. I can't keep clawing at the jaws of hell - the silence is killing me! Later in the song, Spencer screams (accompanied by a trippy little guitar riff) They just spin in perfect little circles, and that's all they know...

01. Breathing in a New Mentality - this song is great; it opens with very rough sounding recording and drums, but immediately explodes into epic noise. Throughout the song, Spencer screams, I'm the desperate, and you're the savior. My favorite part is when it starts switching time signatures and Spencer says, Oh, God it's racing through my veins... I'm afraid there must be some kind of mistake! 02. Anyone Can Dig a Hole, But It Takes a Man to Call It Home - the tempo doesn't slow down at all, and it opens with a fast and mathcore-esque guitar riff slightly reminiscent of In Regards to Myself. Then the tempo slows to a hardcore riff where Spencer screams almost ironically, Oh, how the plot thickens! Then, later in the song, Aaron sings in his amazing voice, I'm the one who was wrong, and Spencer follows, ending with, God forgive me! Probably my #4 song on the album. 03. A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine - an amazing song, this is probably my #1 song. Man, it's tough to chose with so many great songs on one disk! The lyrics are amazingly simple, as well as simply amazing. My favorite part is when Aaron and Spencer sing harmonically, Bear with me, bear with me - this is all I have left... this might be more than a simple conversation, with a killer guitar riff in the background. Then there's the end, which was amazing as well, starting with Spencer screaming, I stare at the wall, watching my time float away. It's all been a blur, and nothing will change. Then the two (main) vocalists start a harmony again, and sing/yell, I was lying! This is defeat. 04. Emergency Broadcast: The End is Near - this song starts off with a dark, almost NIN feel to it. There are a lot of palm muted chords in this song, as well as slower guitar riffs that are almost like mini-solos. The drumming in the song is astounding too. We will be sold for parts! That's definitely an early lyrical climax. The same with in the middle - Feast your eyes, or just rip 'em out. Overall, a very depressing song, but still great, and following with the albums theme. 05. The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed - this song is without a doubt the heaviest on the CD, and, in fact, the heaviest with Spencer yet, besides perhaps Everyone Looks So Good From Here on DTGL. My #3 on the album currently. What can I say - wow. This song - just listen to it for yourself, it will show you just how far Underoath has come since TOCS. Great drumming, lyrics, guitar, singing - epic. 06. We Are The Involuntary - this song is so weird and almost trippy. The guitar is very unique, though I didn't notice it as much at first. Also, the title of the album is in this, when Spencer screams, We're lost in the sound, lost in the sound of separation! However, my favorite part is when Aaron sings, I'll come up, I'll come up for peace, I'll come down, I'll come down for truth, I'll give in, I'll give up for you... 07. The Created Void - definitely my least favorite song on the album, it's just so average that it hasn't managed to grow on me the way the others have. On the other hand, I do love the end of the song, the clean electric bit with Aaron singing, that part is pretty beautiful in itself. 08. Coming Down is Calming Down - this opens with a heavy, off time-signature riff with lots of muting and random placement. This is a good song to ventilate. The end of the song is the best part, a short but explosive burst of sound in your ear that ends abruptly in the transition to the next song. The one thing I don't like is that Aaron's drumming isn't quite as remarkable as on other tracks. 09. Desperate Times, Desperate Measures - the lead single off the new album. This song is intense, and probably an honorable mention for the best songs on the album. However, don't let that deceive you - it's just that all the songs on the album are great, and it's tough to play favorites. The drumming is freaking sweet, but the main winner for me is the lyrics. I mentioned them before, so I'm not going to waste your time repeating them. Also, when Aaron sings out of tune it sounds awesome. And if you've seen the music video for this, you know just how dark this song is. 10. Too Bright to See, Too Loud to Hear - this song is my #2 on the album. It's just such a beautiful song, lyrically, musically, every way. Though Aaron's drumming is absent, this song remains great. I can't bring myself to spoil it for you, just listen and enjoy. It reminds me of Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape, except better. Way better. Just great stuff. Shows how much Underoath has matured. 11. Desolate Earth:: The End is Here - my #5 on the album. What an instrumental - the perfect album closer. Nothing more needs to be said. This album rocks. I won't have this lost or stolen, because I will guard it too well - but if something happened, I would find it, no matter what. Or buy another copy! Trust me, this is worth every penny.

parkerguitars24
    Dude, I've gotta agree, this was an awesome album. Seems like everyone, including me, is noticing mathcore elements in underOath's songs.haha
    TylerHerod
    Lost in the Sound of Separation is amazing. A general step up from define the great line, which I knew would be hard to accomplish. All the experimental bits are awesome, I love that direction they are taking, while still remaining brutal.
    Andraysexy
    I whole-heartedly agree with this review. I've never been a huge Underoath fan, as I only recently got into them with DTGL, but after looking into their past albums, you can very much notice the gradual progression of songwriting, lyricism and musicianship (sorry for the ridiculously long sentence, commas ftw ). I'm very happy I picked this album up. From a progressive music fan (i.e Dream Theater, Rush, Tool, BTBAM, etc...) this album does not disappoint. Aaron's voice has been more appropriated, instead of being crammed into songs for the hell of it, as noticed in alot of DTGL songs. I would indefinetly compare this album, as far as band evolution goes, to BTBAM's Colours, if only for the recognition that both bands have hit their near perfect album. I have nothing against either album, it's just no album will ever be perfect enough to grasp the attention of everyone. Pick up this lil' jam if you haven't already.
    Mojoe77
    I have to disagree. I've listened to the album 4 times and it just doesn't do it for me. Granted, it's a good album, I think that Define the Great Line blows this album out of the water. Define the Great Line seems heavier to me, Lost in the Sound of Separation is softer - something I wasn't expecting. The album will probably grow on me, but Define the Great Line (in my opinion) is way better.
    _TheBassAce_
    MusicMan101
    This CD takes WAAAAAY longer to get into compared to DTGL. But in the end, LITSOS pones DTGL. There's almost no annoying pop influnece, and the songs don't have the random feeling DTGL has once you get used to them. Most people won't like every single song emensely, but will different faves. Right now I actually think my #1 is the created void.
    punkforlife93
    _TheBassAce_ wrote: That review was pretty good, but the guy who reviewed it kept calling their songs dark:"And if youve seen the music video for this, you know just how dark this song is." When they are actually a christian band.
    Yeah, I'm the guy who reviewed it. I know that they're a Christian band; that's one of the many things I love about this band. But just because they're Christian doesn't mean their songs can't be dark. Sin is a very dark subject itself, and the song is about that. Look up the song - it's about Spencer attempting to overcome his addiction to drugs.
    k4rma
    I agree with Mojoe77. DTGL is definitely heavier than LITSOS. But I have to give this album props for it lyrics. I hate to say it, but I don't think you (punkforlife93) gave the lyrics section justice. I think you forgot some of the best lyrics, like in some of the slower, not as heavy songs. They have great meaning, and they, to me, make me think about my life, and how I am living it. Breathing in a new mentality is about spencer's drug addiction, and I think there are some great lines in that song. If I could write a review, I would...but I can't. I like your review though! And if you stole the album, I suggest you buy it. If you want them to make more amazing music, then buy it....and they need to eat as well!
    J-rich777
    I agree with this review entirely... I picked up this album today just finished it and it blew me away on how good it is. I love Breathing In A New Mentality only because me and Spencer have went through a lot of the same things. The screaming and singing is very satisfactory. Define The Great Line will always be a great album, it has a lot of great songs, but this album just connects to me a lot more and I love it.