Lost In The Sound Of Separation review by Underoath

• Released: Sep 2, 2008
Underoath: Lost In The Sound Of Separation

I've always loved Underoath, even since Dallas was still their vocalist. I've always thought everything they've done was next to perfect, but this definitely took it to the next level. Opening with a rough recording of Breathing in a New Mentality, and going from there with brutal vocals, guitar, and drums. Maybe not as heavy as we were all expecting after reading interviews and whatnot, but we got the darker feeling they promised.

Undeoath has always written some of my favorite lyrics, but nothing shines through as much as the lyrics on Litsos. With almost a desperate feeling to them, I was blown away. By far my favorite lyrics on the album would Too Dark to See; Too Loud to Hear. Being a Christian, I deeply related to these lyrics. Although always being a Christian band, this is their most faith influenced album.

Some of the best songs ever composed by UO, lyrically and instrumentally. It's deeply reminescient of Define the Great Line, with almost all elements of They're Only Chasing Safety gone, the brutal musical beating reminds me almost of a Norma Jean record. This album doesn't let up until the end, and at that point, you won't want it to end. From beginning to end, it's a testimonial to modern life destroying our souls, and there's a lesson in this record. If it were lost or stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat.