Lost In The Sound Of Separation review by Underoath

• Released: Sep 2, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Underoath: Lost In The Sound Of Separation

Just to set some facts here before I start this review: I have been listening to Underoath since they've released Cries of the Past. I have listened to every single album, including TOCS, DTGL, The Changing of Times, and Act of Depression. I have also listened to this album three times, and have given it more than enough time to "set in" so that I can possibly appreciate the music. I like(d) Underoath as a band, although they have begun disappointing with their previous album, Define the Great Line, and now with Lost in the Sound of Separation. Where do I begin? Underoath wanted to adopt a "heavier" sound since Define the Great Line. Did they succeed? Far from it. The only thing they managed to do is pay Adam over from Killswitch Engage to show the band how to change the tone of their guitars. That's it. If you think changing the tone of your guitar will automatically change you from a post-hardcore band into a metalcore band, you're mistaken. Underoath was originally a very sincere band. The lyrics in their songs gave glimpses into personal relationships, experiences, and included heartfelt emotion. This all changed after Define the Great Line was released. Spencer no longer wanted to scream like Dallas Taylor, and so he started singing in what the new Underoath audience considered "hardcore". So he growls and whines and keeps on screaming every two seconds in every song. The screaming turns generic, monotonous, and unnecessary. The lyrics he spews out are incomprehensible (unlike in They're Only Chasing Safety where you could actually understand the lyrics). Spencer's screaming in Define the Great Line and Lost in the Sound of Separation reminds me of someone buying a fake Prada bag from Chinatown in order to show off to her girlfriends that she is just as cool as them. And then they added Aaron's vocals into almost every single song. Probably one of the worst ideas ever. The inclusion of Aarons' voice in Underoath songs were rare, and actually special. They made that certain song stand out, and added a special touch to it (take for example, "I've Got Ten Friends And A Crowbar That Says You Ain't Gonna Do Jack" from the Special Edition of They're Only Chasing Safety). Now that every song has Aaron's voice in it, we have a blend of Spencer's computerized screaming combined with Aaron's whiny singing. Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy Aaron's whiny singing in the background of their older songs, but now it is just excessive and unnecessary. And this leads me to one of my main points: every song seems to have a set structure. This structure is as follows:

• Create heavy distortion on the tone of your guitar and try to imitate Killswitch Engages' sound (which they'll never get right, by the way).
  • Allow Spencer to scream all the way through the song, and allow absolutely no breathing room for the listener. And make sure that what Spencer is screaming can't be understood.
  • Give Aaron just as many vocal parts as Spencer, in fact, take Aaron off drums and have two vocalists.
  • ) Create "dramatic" pauses in the middle of your songs, to add a "unique" feel to every song (which soon becomes nullified because they do this on several songs in this album). This structure seems to be replicated in every song on Define the Great Line as well as in Lost in the Sound of Separation. Like seriously, why is every song indistinguishable from one another? It also intrigues me that some songs in Lost in the Sound of Separation include riffs from Define the Great Line (just slightly altered). Take for example the song "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures", how this song begins and how "In Regards To Myself" (from Define the Great Line) begins, is nearly identical. It seems that Underoaths' lack of new guitar riffs has led them to recycle some songs from Define the Great Line. This leads me to another point. Why does this album sound exactly the same as Define the Great Line? Has any Underoath fan (who has heard all or most of their albums), noticed that Spencer was a much better vocalist in his screaming style during They're Only Chasing Safety than he was after that album?

Spencer tries too hard to sound "hardcore". His screaming seems very forced and mechanic. Unlike other vocalists (take for example Tim Lambesis from As I Lay Dying), Spencer does not scream in accordance to the music playing. His screaming is all over the place, and seems unorganized. If we look back at They're Only Chasing Safety, Spencer's screaming actually "flows" with the music, and gives a true sense of emotion. Moving on to Aarons' drumming, I must say this: I am impressed. His drumming has certainly gotten better from a technical perspective. However, it saddens me to see his drumming talent go to waste in this album as well as Define the Great Line. As technically marvelous as Aaron's drumming may be, it too, seems forced. If Spencer's screaming could be authentic, I'm sure that Aaron's drumming and Spencer's screaming would fit well. Sadly however, that hasn't happened in Define the Great Line or Lost in the Sound of Separation. Continuing onto guitars. I've already said it, changing the tone of your guitar will not make you sound hardcore. It must be a combination of all the instruments in unison, as well as the vocals, which creates a "hard" sound. However, setting that aside, the guitar work seems very monotonous, just as it was in Define the Great Line. The guitaring does not pull you "into" the music, rather, it seems like it's just there for show. Take for example, the song "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (which Underoath covered in the album Policia!: A Tribute to the Police), or "Reinventing Your Exit" (from They're Only Chasing Safety) the guitar work pulls you in and envelops you into the music, as the drumming and vocals also help to supplement that feeling. However, I didn't seem to be "reeled in" by the guitar work in this album. It seemed non-progressive and shallow, in my opinion.

After I finished listening to the album, I said to myself: "Okay, maybe it's because I just listened to it for the first time, maybe I need some time to let the music set in." And so I listened to several songs from the album a few times a day for a week. However, even after a week of trying to appreciate Underoaths' new album, I failed to find anything extraordinary within it. If I were to choose the few songs that I did find somewhat appealing, I would say these are: "Breathing In A New Mentality", "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures", and "Coming Down Is Calming Down". And even though these songs seemed to stand out among the other songs, they didn't satisfy my expectations for this album. If you want to hear good metalcore/metal/hardcore/death metal, give these albums a listen:

• Whoracle by In Flames.
  • The Jester Race by In Flames.
  • Shadows Are Security by As I Lay Dying.
  • Frail Words Collapse by As I Lay Dying.
  • The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused.
  • Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent by Refused.
  • Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates. Not comparing bands, just giving out suggestions for those who wish to listen to other bands with good music. So with all this being said, Lost in the Sound of Separation is a disappointing album. With barely any memorable songs, riffs, or melodies, the album seems to have dissipated from my musical conscience within a few days. Underoath was a great band before Define the Great Line, and I thought that with Lost in the Sound of Separation they would return with some great hits, but I am left with an album composed of generic screaming and uninspired instrumental melodies.

• 16 comments sorted by best / new / date

timetodantz93
      First of all douche bag, Killswitch Engage or whatever is a horrible band. Why would Underoath want to copy their style in music? Every since Underoath came out with DTGL they've been working with an amazing concept that go with their records. Since Spencer joined Underoath they've been doing this. Don't get me wrong, Dallas Taylor was a great vocalist/Lyricist but compared to Spencer Chamberlain...yeah right. Honestly, Underoath have sold ten times as many records as they ever did with Dallas and more importantly, they're making a bigger impact on people's lives now. they've touched so many lives all over the world and they're probably what brought me back into the church. Now let's look at Killswitch, what kind of impact have they made on people? none. Killswitch is absolutely pointless. They don't turn people to Jesus Christ, they don't help people through tough situations in life, they don't do anything to people but give them music to listen to. As for Spencer Chamberlain's vocals, you couldn't be more wrong...and that's all I’m gonna say about that. However, I do somewhat agree with you on overusing Aaron's vocals on the new record. Aaron Gillespie is an outstanding vocalist and an outstanding drummer. But Personally, I always felt like Underoath used Aaron the absolute perfect amount that they should use him. Example: You're Ever So Inviting. His vocals coming in right after Spencer's was just kinda like the cherry on top of a great song. Even though they use Aaron a little more in this record than I expected, I still fell in love with it just as much as I did with DTGL. Lost In The Sound of Separation was a tremendous breakthrough for Underoath showing that they're not just one of those "one hit wonder" bands that are so common in this day and age. I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to say: No, I don't agree with you on this one Xbxg32000
      theacademyeats
      wow that guy who gave it a one is gay. all he has too say is that the music is forced. what does that even mean. i think his review was forced.It could mean anything. i think he is trying to say it doesn't work well which is a lie cuz the album is great. and u can totally understand what spencer is saying
      J-rich777
      timetodantz93 wrote: First of all douche bag, Killswitch Engage or whatever is a horrible band. Why would Underoath want to copy their style in music? Every since Underoath came out with DTGL they've been working with an amazing concept that go with their records. Since Spencer joined Underoath they've been doing this. Don't get me wrong, Dallas Taylor was a great vocalist/Lyricist but compared to Spencer Chamberlain...yeah right. Honestly, Underoath have sold ten times as many records as they ever did with Dallas and more importantly, they're making a bigger impact on people's lives now. they've touched so many lives all over the world and they're probably what brought me back into the church. Now let's look at Killswitch, what kind of impact have they made on people? none. Killswitch is absolutely pointless. They don't turn people to Jesus Christ, they don't help people through tough situations in life, they don't do anything to people but give them music to listen to. As for Spencer Chamberlain's vocals, you couldn't be more wrong...and that's all Im gonna say about that. However, I do somewhat agree with you on overusing Aaron's vocals on the new record. Aaron Gillespie is an outstanding vocalist and an outstanding drummer. But Personally, I always felt like Underoath used Aaron the absolute perfect amount that they should use him. Example: You're Ever So Inviting. His vocals coming in right after Spencer's was just kinda like the cherry on top of a great song. Even though they use Aaron a little more in this record than I expected, I still fell in love with it just as much as I did with DTGL. Lost In The Sound of Separation was a tremendous breakthrough for Underoath showing that they're not just one of those "one hit wonder" bands that are so common in this day and age. I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to say: No, I don't agree with you on this one Xbxg32000
      Thats so true, I agree with eveything you said. And I think that they're trying to bring vocals such as They're Only Chasing Safety like on "Reinventing Your Exit" Aaron sang a majority of it.
      skyeatsimba
      Xbxg32000, Underoath is not trying to imitate Killswitch Engage's sound and if you actually listen, you can understand Spencer... it really isn't that hard
      aperfecttool257
      Killswitch doesn't suck! They're ****ing awesome! They have a completely different style. And honestly Howard Jones blows Spencer and aaron out of the water. I love this album tho!
      aperfecttool257
      gunslinger777
      I'm glad that Underoath has finally come out with their 5th album. they had a lot of hype to live up to after DTGL with the epic change of their style and that's an accomplishment. I don't think people should expect another album like DTGL because bands grow and change and don't want to sound the same after every record (unless you're the Goo Goo Dolls X)) honestly I think Underoath should have changed their name after Changing of Times but eh, whatever. the whole band is super solid and they know what they're doing. everything is Tight while still leaving room for some human elements. I'm really impressed by the harmonization of Arron and Spencer on this album, it's evident that they worked a lot at it. However Lyricly I'm not too impressed. sure there are some great lines sprinkled throughout the album but no song really stands out as a whole as songs did with Dallas Taylor on pre-'Chasing Safety'. props to Underoath for continuing to make progress through their song writing!
      ZakkRox90
      i strongly disagree with what you said, Underoath coping Killswitchs Sound? they sound nothing alike and Killswitch is a great band, just cause their not a christian makes them horrible? pretty much what you said. i like both bands and they both are amazing in my books. but yea the new album if ****ing amazing.
      punkforlife93
      Actually, Killswitch does have Christian influenced lyrics, and most of the band members are Christian, but they are not in fact a Christian band.
      columbo99
      I couln't dissagree more with these positive reviews. 'Lost in the sound of Seperation' is absolutely horrible. What is happening to this band? This album is nothing but one big barrage of noisy dissapointment. No feeling, no diversiy, nothing to make me say 'wow, that's great!' I had hoped this album would be better than DTGL, but the exact opposite is happening. These guys used to be soooo original with their style, and now they just sound like everyone else, trying to sound tough. The CD cover art is dumb, and the music is one big continuous song of the same crap. I am pained to say these things about such a great band, but truth is, they've lost their originality like in the days of 'Cries of the Past'. This style of metal gets boring real fast.
      Mojoe77
      I've already commented on this album (as you can see above), but I want to make a couple of clarifications about Xbxg32000's "review".: His review is not objective and it seems his sole purpose of doing the review is to bash the band. Now, because of Lost in the Sound of Separation, I have lost a little respect for Underoath, but if I were to do a review of Lost in the Sound of Separation, I would do it objectively. For the record, I liked Define the Great Line better than Lost in the Sound of Separation. Define was heavier, Spencer's scream was intense and heavy. However, the new album seems too refined and mainstream. I remember reading interviews with the band about their new album when they were recording it and they were saying it was "like Define, but heavier". I respectfully disagree. No where on the album did I find a song that was heavier than "Everyone Looks So Good From Here" or "Returning Empty Handed". The only song that is heavy on Lost in the Sound of Separation is "Emergency Broadcast::The End is Near" - which happens to be my favorite song (and the only song, in my opinion, that stands out from the rest).
      masterchief44
      PLEASE Moderators, Delete Xbxg32000's review. It's a horrible outlier for this CD. I admit, I was extremely unimpressed with this CD when I first listened to it. BUT, It grew on me extremely quickly, and now I love it just as much as They're Only Chasing Safety and Define the Great Line!!
      HeavyDT
      yeah its a pretty good cd the first half is mind blowing but it starts to lose some steam around the half way point. The first 3 songs are def my favs though.
      Factor13x
      i think lost in the sound is a great album but it still does not beat define the great line. what underoath created in define the great line was just so great that no matter how they made lost in the sound it wouldnt even be close to it. but they surprised me and it seems to me they put more emphasis on their lyrics this time through. my favorite song off the album was actually one of the softer ones. too bright to see, too loud to hear shows what underoath is all about and why they write their music. i am a christian and to hear a christian hardcore band come right out and say it in their music is just awesome. definitly a great album