Lost In The Sound Of Separation review by Underoath

• Released: Sep 2, 2008
Underoath: Lost In The Sound Of Separation

Well, I know Underoath has had it's fair share of criticism from the 'real' metal world. But with this album, I think this album just stamps their authority as one of, if not the greatest band of the Metalcore Genre. This album is the most innovative and technical album created by the Six guys since their resurrection and sheds some new light on the Metalcore genre which just seems to be becoming more generic with each new release. In this album they have incorporated Industrial and Mathcore elements into their ever growing Metalcore sound. Overall this album to me is Underoath's greatest musical effort and contribution to the world of Metal. Does it surpass 'Define The Great Line'... well that is for you to decide.

The lyrics on this album are exactly what you will expect from Spencer and Aaron. Deep, emotional, struggling, religious lyrics. To be honest I am not a religious person. but still these lyrics speak to myself and just goes to show that as humans we can do anything. Spencer throughout the album speaks of picking himself up (from his addictions) and moving forward in life. In the song ' A Fault Line, A Fault Of Mine' it makes a cross reference to the last song of Define The Great Line ' To Whom It May Concern' with the line 'I was lying when I said I was looking North, I was to scared to show what I am'. This shows Spencer falling back into his addictions, a common theme throughout the album. What is there to say about the singing capabilities of Spencer and Aaron, I guess your just going to have to listen for yourselves to experience the anger and urgency Spencer conveys by his intense screams and yells and at times his soothing vocal parts (which have improved). Aarons vocals are as good as ever, although not as present as on previous albums. In a way this is kind of disappointing but his parts of singing, really do blow you away. It's eveident in the second last track that both of these guys can sing and when they sing they can do no wrong.

I guess the easiest way to do this is by listing the tracks: 01.Breathing in a New Mentality: this track to me was a surpirse with Aarons masked drums and Spencer masked vocals to begin with and then BAM say goodbye to your ear drums. 8/10 02.Anyone Can Dig A Hole But It Takes A Real Man To Call It Home: Aarons first vocal song and this song still just never lets up from the opening. Another intense and eye bursting track 7/10 03.A Fault Line. A Fault of Mine: this is my personnal favorite, it has a less 'heavy' sound but it was created beautifully. The end for me is the best part of the song with Aaron and Spencer excahnging vocal lines... epic. 10/10 04.Emergency Broadcast:: The End Is Near: this is the more Industrial song on the record and carries a great meaning to it. Not one of my favorites but still hits home on a long drive home. 7/10 05.The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed: wow, get ready to be blown away. This is easily the heaviest song Underoath have created. This song is one hell of an angry song and boy do they let you know it. 9/10 06.We Are The Involuntary: this song is a mediocore track, it is nothing special but still, in saying this it is an enjoyable track. 6/10 07.The Created Void: I love this song, it's a very relaxing and laid back song which has some amazing vocal parts by both Spencer and Aaron 8/10 08.Coming Down Is Calming Down: this song for some reasons reminds me of an Alexisonfire song... Just that opening riff I guess. I am fan of this song with some great guitar work. 7/10 09.Desperate Times, Desperate Measures: the opening single and it was a great choice. The mathcore riff at the beginning sheds light on what is to follow. Off Beat drumming and epci guitar work, this song is a killer track. The best part is when Aaron sings 'out of key' EPIC. 9/10 10.Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear: to me, this is underoath at their best. Laid back and oh so emotional this song will blow anyone away. Aaron holds this song all on his own with help from Spencer. The ending... well what is there to say, it is just Epic and blows you away. 10/10 11.Desolate Earth:: The End is Here: a beautiful way to finish off the album with some of the most intense and beautiful lyrics I have heard. I wont spoil it for you, just hear it and you will understand. Overall this album is an epic album worth a lot of praise, which I am sure it will not get. To me this album just shows how far each memeber has come. In this album Aaron's drumming is the best thing to hear, he just never stops and is an amazing drummer. I would buy this album if someone stole it, it's a beautiful ball of Hearache, sadness, urgency, intensity and love all rolled up and rocked out.

pigmaggots
    I've loved every album underoath have done. define the great line was amazing, people just didnt give it a chance. this is yet again another step up!