Lost In The Sound Of Separation Review

Underoath: Lost In The Sound Of Separation
Released: Sep 2, 2008
Genre: Metalcore, Post-hardcore
Label: Solid State, Tooth & Nail
Lost in the Sound of Separation is the sixth studio album by metalcore band Underoath. It is the fourth on Solid State Records.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 8.8
 8.2
 9.3
 1,014
Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: punkforlife93, on september 03, 2008

Sound: When I heard Lost in the Sound of Separation was coming out, I decided that I would try and get my hands on it as soon as I could. I pre-ordered it, but undisciplined as I was, I listened to it as soon as it was released on Myspace. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed - this album is mind-blowing. It isn't quite as heavy as it was rumored to be, but it was definitely just as dark as they said it would be. The heaviness is right along the same lines as Define the Great Line, but it is definitely more unique and dark. The technical craftsmanship for Underoath is amazing, though they've never been shred lords. From heavy, almost Southern oriented riffs (similar to the old Underoath member Dallas Taylor's band Maylene and the Sons of Disaster) as shown in the opener, Breathing In A New Mentality, to the heavy, driving riffs in The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed, to the softer but still impressive musical ballads Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear and Desolate Earth:: The End Is Here. This band continues to impress with an even stronger effort than Define the Great Line musically, and the flow is almost flawless. // 9

Lyrics: The screaming for Spencer Chamberlain has matured intensely, as well as his singing, though he doesn't always show his range extensively. His screams are louder, more emotional, more heartfelt, and overall more intense. His best songs vocally are definitely the pumping, ear blasting Anyone Can Dig A Hole, But It Takes A Man To Live In It and The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed. Aaron Gillespie provides a unique compliment to his voice with his powerful, amazing clean vocals, most impressive in the songs A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine and Too Bright to See, Too Loud to Hear. I'm not sure whether or not Timothy McTague sings much in this. But one of the more outstanding aspects of Underoath in this album is the lyrics, which have improved vastly from the effort sent forth by DTGL. Some of my favorite lyrics are the opening ones to Desperate Times, Desperate Measures, which go, I've been crawling around in the dark for a while, sprawled out across the floor, not collecting dust anymore. Define me a parasite, define my host. Then there are the blatantly truthful lyrics in Anyone Can Dig A Hole But It Takes A Man To Call It Home, I'm no leader I'm just a mess. It's not the way it's supposed to be, it's just the way that it is. Lastly, my favorite lyrical song has the darkest lyrics, in The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed. Spencer screams throatily, This is where they all throw me to the wolves, dragged behind and trampled on. I can't keep clawing at the jaws of hell - the silence is killing me! Later in the song, Spencer screams (accompanied by a trippy little guitar riff) They just spin in perfect little circles, and that's all they know... // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Breathing in a New Mentality - this song is great; it opens with very rough sounding recording and drums, but immediately explodes into epic noise. Throughout the song, Spencer screams, I'm the desperate, and you're the savior. My favorite part is when it starts switching time signatures and Spencer says, Oh, God it's racing through my veins... I'm afraid there must be some kind of mistake! 02. Anyone Can Dig a Hole, But It Takes a Man to Call It Home - the tempo doesn't slow down at all, and it opens with a fast and mathcore-esque guitar riff slightly reminiscent of In Regards to Myself. Then the tempo slows to a hardcore riff where Spencer screams almost ironically, Oh, how the plot thickens! Then, later in the song, Aaron sings in his amazing voice, I'm the one who was wrong, and Spencer follows, ending with, God forgive me! Probably my #4 song on the album. 03. A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine - an amazing song, this is probably my #1 song. Man, it's tough to chose with so many great songs on one disk! The lyrics are amazingly simple, as well as simply amazing. My favorite part is when Aaron and Spencer sing harmonically, Bear with me, bear with me - this is all I have left... this might be more than a simple conversation, with a killer guitar riff in the background. Then there's the end, which was amazing as well, starting with Spencer screaming, I stare at the wall, watching my time float away. It's all been a blur, and nothing will change. Then the two (main) vocalists start a harmony again, and sing/yell, I was lying! This is defeat. 04. Emergency Broadcast: The End is Near - this song starts off with a dark, almost NIN feel to it. There are a lot of palm muted chords in this song, as well as slower guitar riffs that are almost like mini-solos. The drumming in the song is astounding too. We will be sold for parts! That's definitely an early lyrical climax. The same with in the middle - Feast your eyes, or just rip 'em out. Overall, a very depressing song, but still great, and following with the albums theme. 05. The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed - this song is without a doubt the heaviest on the CD, and, in fact, the heaviest with Spencer yet, besides perhaps Everyone Looks So Good From Here on DTGL. My #3 on the album currently. What can I say - wow. This song - just listen to it for yourself, it will show you just how far Underoath has come since TOCS. Great drumming, lyrics, guitar, singing - epic. 06. We Are The Involuntary - this song is so weird and almost trippy. The guitar is very unique, though I didn't notice it as much at first. Also, the title of the album is in this, when Spencer screams, We're lost in the sound, lost in the sound of separation! However, my favorite part is when Aaron sings, I'll come up, I'll come up for peace, I'll come down, I'll come down for truth, I'll give in, I'll give up for you... 07. The Created Void - definitely my least favorite song on the album, it's just so average that it hasn't managed to grow on me the way the others have. On the other hand, I do love the end of the song, the clean electric bit with Aaron singing, that part is pretty beautiful in itself. 08. Coming Down is Calming Down - this opens with a heavy, off time-signature riff with lots of muting and random placement. This is a good song to ventilate. The end of the song is the best part, a short but explosive burst of sound in your ear that ends abruptly in the transition to the next song. The one thing I don't like is that Aaron's drumming isn't quite as remarkable as on other tracks. 09. Desperate Times, Desperate Measures - the lead single off the new album. This song is intense, and probably an honorable mention for the best songs on the album. However, don't let that deceive you - it's just that all the songs on the album are great, and it's tough to play favorites. The drumming is freaking sweet, but the main winner for me is the lyrics. I mentioned them before, so I'm not going to waste your time repeating them. Also, when Aaron sings out of tune it sounds awesome. And if you've seen the music video for this, you know just how dark this song is. 10. Too Bright to See, Too Loud to Hear - this song is my #2 on the album. It's just such a beautiful song, lyrically, musically, every way. Though Aaron's drumming is absent, this song remains great. I can't bring myself to spoil it for you, just listen and enjoy. It reminds me of Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape, except better. Way better. Just great stuff. Shows how much Underoath has matured. 11. Desolate Earth:: The End is Here - my #5 on the album. What an instrumental - the perfect album closer. Nothing more needs to be said. This album rocks. I won't have this lost or stolen, because I will guard it too well - but if something happened, I would find it, no matter what. Or buy another copy! Trust me, this is worth every penny. // 10

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: parkerguitars24, on september 04, 2008

Sound: I've always loved Underoath, even since Dallas was still their vocalist. I've always thought everything they've done was next to perfect, but this definitely took it to the next level. Opening with a rough recording of Breathing in a New Mentality, and going from there with brutal vocals, guitar, and drums. Maybe not as heavy as we were all expecting after reading interviews and whatnot, but we got the darker feeling they promised. // 10

Lyrics: Undeoath has always written some of my favorite lyrics, but nothing shines through as much as the lyrics on Litsos. With almost a desperate feeling to them, I was blown away. By far my favorite lyrics on the album would Too Dark to See; Too Loud to Hear. Being a Christian, I deeply related to these lyrics. Although always being a Christian band, this is their most faith influenced album. // 10

Overall Impression: Some of the best songs ever composed by UO, lyrically and instrumentally. It's deeply reminescient of Define the Great Line, with almost all elements of They're Only Chasing Safety gone, the brutal musical beating reminds me almost of a Norma Jean record. This album doesn't let up until the end, and at that point, you won't want it to end. From beginning to end, it's a testimonial to modern life destroying our souls, and there's a lesson in this record. If it were lost or stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. // 10

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: bluelightning, on september 04, 2008

Sound: Underoath has created an epic intense expansion of "Define the Great Line" with their new album "lost In The Sound Of Separation". It is quite possibly their greatest achievement as artist and as a band. The sound of the album very closely resembles that of "define... " and that's not because Underoath was being repetative and couldnt make anything different. it's because they loved the sound of the album and wanted to expand the ideas and sound of "define... " Those who also buy the CD/DVD will understand this as the band elaborates on the ideas they had for the album. The sound also follows a recurring them of separation (hence the title of the album). Throughout the CD their are parts where the vocals sound very faint and distant and it's all for a purpose. that's what I admire about Underoath. Nothing is done just for the sake of doing. // 10

Lyrics: Spencer has come a long way not only as a screamer but also as a singer (just listen to the difference in the two DVDs 777 and Survive Kaleidiscope, he improved alot) and his and Aaron's lyrics on the album are incredible. Everything fits so perfectly and it is all so intense. This is proved on the Track "a Fault Line, A Fault of Mine" near the end of the track Spencer screams "I was lying!" followed by Aaron singing it and they go back and forth until finally Spencer ends with "This is defeat!" and the song comes to an epic end. Lyrically it seems as though some of the members have been through some hard times and they show this through the entire album. I believe the albums best song lyrically is the one song that has the least amount of lyrics, the last song "desolate earth:: the end is here". After the songs 3 minute and thirty seconds of instrumental music, the last 30 seconds are the most inspirational and moving lyrics I found on the CD. Very distantly you here spencer sing "You said there was nothing left down here Well I roamed around the wasteland And I swear I found something I found hope, I found God I found the dreams of the believers The dreams of the believers Oh, God! Save us all" These words speak of Hope and Redemption, and that anyone no matter who you are or what you have been through. You can still find peace and Salvation. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall impression of this album for me is incredible. It's becoming what you expect from Underoath, with every album outdoing the one before, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The best songs from the album are really all of them but the ones that stuck out for me are "breathing in a new mentality", "A fault line, a fault of mine" and "Too bright to see to loud to hear". but every song is very well put together. I love how they did this album from top to bottom. The theme, the sound, the lyrics, it was all put together so well. I also love how every song does one of two things. either it flows right into the next track with feedback, or it comes to a halt and the next song begins on the drop of a dime. the first time I listened to it I was listning to track one and a few minutes later I looked at the stereo and I was on track three. I didn't know the tracks had changed because of how caught up in listening to it I was. If this CD was ever stolen or lost I would defanetly buy it again. And I strongly encourage you to buy the CD/DVD because it helps you understand what the band was trying to do with this album, because I've already had a friend say the only flaw was it is too much like "define the Great Line" and my answer to that is no it actually makes it that much better by expanding on the sound and idea of that album and making "Lost In The Sound Of Separation" that much better. // 10

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: kirkwannabe, on may 12, 2009

Sound: All I can say is wow. What an album. I was never an Underoath fan, but I decided to finally give them a chance back last October. So I figured "Well, where better to start than what they sound like now?" And I'll admit, at first, I was skeptical. Not very conventional song structures. But once you get past that, the songs are amazing. Still melodic, but heavy enough to be considered metalcore. I listen to a bit of deathcore, and even though nobody will agree with me on this, for about 5 seconds in "Breathing in a New Mentality", I heard a trace of deathcore in there. // 9

Lyrics: I listen to lyrics and the meaning, and the truths about the lyrics on this album are brilliant. My favorite quote of all time came from the second track, "Anyone Can Dig a Hole but it Takes a Real Man To Call it Home". The quote was, "It's not the way it's supposed to be, it's just the way that it is". Wow. The CD isn't as heavy as it was once rumoured to be, but it's every bit as dark, and the lyrics match it perfectly. Spencer Chaimberlain. Not only does he have the crushing low growls, but he has the ablility to keep it heavy when screaming at the top of his range. Not only that, hbut he has the ablility to deliver some pretty good clean vocals as well. Not to leave out Aaron, who does most of the clean singing. He has an amazing range, hitting notes that are actually in soprano range at points, but never leaving his chest voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Metalcore is a genre I like to listen to and play. And Underoath is one of the best metalcore acts out there today. The most impressive songs on this album to me are "Breathing in a New Mentality", "Anyone Can Dig A Hole But it Takes a Real Man to Call it Home", "The Only Survivor was Miraculously Unharmed", "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures", and "Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear". If this album got stolen or lost, I'd buy it again for sure. // 10

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: Xbxg32000, on september 18, 2008

Sound: Just to set some facts here before I start this review: I have been listening to Underoath since they've released Cries of the Past. I have listened to every single album, including TOCS, DTGL, The Changing of Times, and Act of Depression. I have also listened to this album three times, and have given it more than enough time to "set in" so that I can possibly appreciate the music. I like(d) Underoath as a band, although they have begun disappointing with their previous album, Define the Great Line, and now with Lost in the Sound of Separation. Where do I begin? Underoath wanted to adopt a "heavier" sound since Define the Great Line. Did they succeed? Far from it. The only thing they managed to do is pay Adam over from Killswitch Engage to show the band how to change the tone of their guitars. That's it. If you think changing the tone of your guitar will automatically change you from a post-hardcore band into a metalcore band, you're mistaken. Underoath was originally a very sincere band. The lyrics in their songs gave glimpses into personal relationships, experiences, and included heartfelt emotion. This all changed after Define the Great Line was released. Spencer no longer wanted to scream like Dallas Taylor, and so he started singing in what the new Underoath audience considered "hardcore". So he growls and whines and keeps on screaming every two seconds in every song. The screaming turns generic, monotonous, and unnecessary. The lyrics he spews out are incomprehensible (unlike in They're Only Chasing Safety where you could actually understand the lyrics). Spencer's screaming in Define the Great Line and Lost in the Sound of Separation reminds me of someone buying a fake Prada bag from Chinatown in order to show off to her girlfriends that she is just as cool as them. And then they added Aaron's vocals into almost every single song. Probably one of the worst ideas ever. The inclusion of Aarons' voice in Underoath songs were rare, and actually special. They made that certain song stand out, and added a special touch to it (take for example, "I've Got Ten Friends And A Crowbar That Says You Ain't Gonna Do Jack" from the Special Edition of They're Only Chasing Safety). Now that every song has Aaron's voice in it, we have a blend of Spencer's computerized screaming combined with Aaron's whiny singing. Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy Aaron's whiny singing in the background of their older songs, but now it is just excessive and unnecessary. And this leads me to one of my main points: every song seems to have a set structure. This structure is as follows:

• Create heavy distortion on the tone of your guitar and try to imitate Killswitch Engages' sound (which they'll never get right, by the way).
  • Allow Spencer to scream all the way through the song, and allow absolutely no breathing room for the listener. And make sure that what Spencer is screaming can't be understood.
  • Give Aaron just as many vocal parts as Spencer, in fact, take Aaron off drums and have two vocalists.
  • ) Create "dramatic" pauses in the middle of your songs, to add a "unique" feel to every song (which soon becomes nullified because they do this on several songs in this album). This structure seems to be replicated in every song on Define the Great Line as well as in Lost in the Sound of Separation. Like seriously, why is every song indistinguishable from one another? It also intrigues me that some songs in Lost in the Sound of Separation include riffs from Define the Great Line (just slightly altered). Take for example the song "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures", how this song begins and how "In Regards To Myself" (from Define the Great Line) begins, is nearly identical. It seems that Underoaths' lack of new guitar riffs has led them to recycle some songs from Define the Great Line. This leads me to another point. Why does this album sound exactly the same as Define the Great Line? Has any Underoath fan (who has heard all or most of their albums), noticed that Spencer was a much better vocalist in his screaming style during They're Only Chasing Safety than he was after that album? // 1

Lyrics: Spencer tries too hard to sound "hardcore". His screaming seems very forced and mechanic. Unlike other vocalists (take for example Tim Lambesis from As I Lay Dying), Spencer does not scream in accordance to the music playing. His screaming is all over the place, and seems unorganized. If we look back at They're Only Chasing Safety, Spencer's screaming actually "flows" with the music, and gives a true sense of emotion. Moving on to Aarons' drumming, I must say this: I am impressed. His drumming has certainly gotten better from a technical perspective. However, it saddens me to see his drumming talent go to waste in this album as well as Define the Great Line. As technically marvelous as Aaron's drumming may be, it too, seems forced. If Spencer's screaming could be authentic, I'm sure that Aaron's drumming and Spencer's screaming would fit well. Sadly however, that hasn't happened in Define the Great Line or Lost in the Sound of Separation. Continuing onto guitars. I've already said it, changing the tone of your guitar will not make you sound hardcore. It must be a combination of all the instruments in unison, as well as the vocals, which creates a "hard" sound. However, setting that aside, the guitar work seems very monotonous, just as it was in Define the Great Line. The guitaring does not pull you "into" the music, rather, it seems like it's just there for show. Take for example, the song "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (which Underoath covered in the album Policia!: A Tribute to the Police), or "Reinventing Your Exit" (from They're Only Chasing Safety) the guitar work pulls you in and envelops you into the music, as the drumming and vocals also help to supplement that feeling. However, I didn't seem to be "reeled in" by the guitar work in this album. It seemed non-progressive and shallow, in my opinion. // 1

Overall Impression: After I finished listening to the album, I said to myself: "Okay, maybe it's because I just listened to it for the first time, maybe I need some time to let the music set in." And so I listened to several songs from the album a few times a day for a week. However, even after a week of trying to appreciate Underoaths' new album, I failed to find anything extraordinary within it. If I were to choose the few songs that I did find somewhat appealing, I would say these are: "Breathing In A New Mentality", "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures", and "Coming Down Is Calming Down". And even though these songs seemed to stand out among the other songs, they didn't satisfy my expectations for this album. If you want to hear good metalcore/metal/hardcore/death metal, give these albums a listen:

• Whoracle by In Flames.
  • The Jester Race by In Flames.
  • Shadows Are Security by As I Lay Dying.
  • Frail Words Collapse by As I Lay Dying.
  • The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused.
  • Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent by Refused.
  • Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates. Not comparing bands, just giving out suggestions for those who wish to listen to other bands with good music. So with all this being said, Lost in the Sound of Separation is a disappointing album. With barely any memorable songs, riffs, or melodies, the album seems to have dissipated from my musical conscience within a few days. Underoath was a great band before Define the Great Line, and I thought that with Lost in the Sound of Separation they would return with some great hits, but I am left with an album composed of generic screaming and uninspired instrumental melodies. // 1

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: danielbalcombe, on november 20, 2008

Sound: Well, I know Underoath has had it's fair share of criticism from the 'real' metal world. But with this album, I think this album just stamps their authority as one of, if not the greatest band of the Metalcore Genre. This album is the most innovative and technical album created by the Six guys since their resurrection and sheds some new light on the Metalcore genre which just seems to be becoming more generic with each new release. In this album they have incorporated Industrial and Mathcore elements into their ever growing Metalcore sound. Overall this album to me is Underoath's greatest musical effort and contribution to the world of Metal. Does it surpass 'Define The Great Line'... well that is for you to decide. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are exactly what you will expect from Spencer and Aaron. Deep, emotional, struggling, religious lyrics. To be honest I am not a religious person. but still these lyrics speak to myself and just goes to show that as humans we can do anything. Spencer throughout the album speaks of picking himself up (from his addictions) and moving forward in life. In the song ' A Fault Line, A Fault Of Mine' it makes a cross reference to the last song of Define The Great Line ' To Whom It May Concern' with the line 'I was lying when I said I was looking North, I was to scared to show what I am'. This shows Spencer falling back into his addictions, a common theme throughout the album. What is there to say about the singing capabilities of Spencer and Aaron, I guess your just going to have to listen for yourselves to experience the anger and urgency Spencer conveys by his intense screams and yells and at times his soothing vocal parts (which have improved). Aarons vocals are as good as ever, although not as present as on previous albums. In a way this is kind of disappointing but his parts of singing, really do blow you away. It's eveident in the second last track that both of these guys can sing and when they sing they can do no wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: I guess the easiest way to do this is by listing the tracks: 01.Breathing in a New Mentality: this track to me was a surpirse with Aarons masked drums and Spencer masked vocals to begin with and then BAM say goodbye to your ear drums. 8/10 02.Anyone Can Dig A Hole But It Takes A Real Man To Call It Home: Aarons first vocal song and this song still just never lets up from the opening. Another intense and eye bursting track 7/10 03.A Fault Line. A Fault of Mine: this is my personnal favorite, it has a less 'heavy' sound but it was created beautifully. The end for me is the best part of the song with Aaron and Spencer excahnging vocal lines... epic. 10/10 04.Emergency Broadcast:: The End Is Near: this is the more Industrial song on the record and carries a great meaning to it. Not one of my favorites but still hits home on a long drive home. 7/10 05.The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed: wow, get ready to be blown away. This is easily the heaviest song Underoath have created. This song is one hell of an angry song and boy do they let you know it. 9/10 06.We Are The Involuntary: this song is a mediocore track, it is nothing special but still, in saying this it is an enjoyable track. 6/10 07.The Created Void: I love this song, it's a very relaxing and laid back song which has some amazing vocal parts by both Spencer and Aaron 8/10 08.Coming Down Is Calming Down: this song for some reasons reminds me of an Alexisonfire song... Just that opening riff I guess. I am fan of this song with some great guitar work. 7/10 09.Desperate Times, Desperate Measures: the opening single and it was a great choice. The mathcore riff at the beginning sheds light on what is to follow. Off Beat drumming and epci guitar work, this song is a killer track. The best part is when Aaron sings 'out of key' EPIC. 9/10 10.Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear: to me, this is underoath at their best. Laid back and oh so emotional this song will blow anyone away. Aaron holds this song all on his own with help from Spencer. The ending... well what is there to say, it is just Epic and blows you away. 10/10 11.Desolate Earth:: The End is Here: a beautiful way to finish off the album with some of the most intense and beautiful lyrics I have heard. I wont spoil it for you, just hear it and you will understand. Overall this album is an epic album worth a lot of praise, which I am sure it will not get. To me this album just shows how far each memeber has come. In this album Aaron's drumming is the best thing to hear, he just never stops and is an amazing drummer. I would buy this album if someone stole it, it's a beautiful ball of Hearache, sadness, urgency, intensity and love all rolled up and rocked out. // 10

Lost In The Sound Of Separation Reviewed by: Viciousgray, on november 21, 2008

Sound: In their latest outing, Lost in the Sound of Separation, Underoath appear to have settled on a sound that the band wants to write and play. That sound is a continuation of their Define the Great Line style, a mixture of metalcore aggresiveness combined with melodic... something. Their style is one that is fairly unique to them. Firstly I'll start with vocals. Spencer Chamberlain explodes out the gate on this one with the opener "Breathing in a New Mentality" with deep gutteral roars fans of DTGL will appreciate. However, Chamberlain appears to have dropped the high pitched end of his screaming, which would make this album the first to not focus on it. it's not that he has no range anymore, but it's more like all the high pitched stuff turned to mid pitched. On the one hand, it does lend them a sense of brutality; on the other, it can get a bit monotonous with less variation. I listened to this album many times and afterwards listened to DTGL and was surprised by how much I missed that high end. However, it doesn't cripple the experience at all. The guitar work this time is still impressive but not quite as tight as it was on Define the Great Line. While before there was a dense wall of melody and sound now there is a more experimental, loose meandering backdrop, mixed with open-D chord pinch harmonic chaos that threatens to blow out your speakers. The songwriting varies from song to song; "Breathing in a New Mentality" only has, say, four or five riffs in the entire song... and they're all easy to play. The same goes for "coming down is calming down" and a few others. The drumming is spot on. I have no complaints what'soever. it's technically impressive when it needs to be, and when it needs to match the looseness of the guitars the fills are employed wonderfully. One of my favorite parts of the album is on "Desolate Earth the end is near" when the palm-muting comes in; the mixing for the drums is great, especially with headphones. The first thing to note about the bass is how much more it has a say in the songs now. Where before a listener had to pick it out to hear it, now the bass will slam in out of nowhere with "riffs" (See Anyone can Dig a Hole but it Takes a Real Man to Call it Home). As this is for the most part metalcore it's role isn't terribly substantial, but it more than fits the bill. The best way I can put this album is like this; if Define the Great Line and Lost in the Sound of Separation were written at the same time, DtGL would've been the album and LitSoS would've been the collection of B-sides; the songs that were a bit quirky and different and didn't quite fit. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album does suffer a bit (in my opinion). Whereas on DtGL the lyrics where poetic and varying, here they frequently dwell on desperation and the conflicts within oneself brutally and loudly. More than one breakdown on the album features an "OH GOD!". There are songs that change it up (a fault line, a fault of mine) but overall there isn't enough beauty here to lift us out of the depths of the deepest breakdowns. There are standouts though; A Fault Line, a Fault of Mine has a memorable chorus thought it takes a bit of time to get into. And while Coming Down is Calming Down is fairly simplistic musically, lyrically it may be Chamberlain's most impressive on the album. And then there's The Only Survivor was Miraculously Unharmed where chamberlain explodes vocally and lyrically with the same intensity as the music. "Someone has sewn me shut tied me to a bed! They locked me up, locked me up! Oh God! This is where they all throw me to the wolves! Dragged behind and Trampled on! I can't keep clawing at the Jaws of Hell! The silence is killing me! Nothing to calm the nerve, nothing to calm the nerve! Write down my thoughts and read me my rights. Repeat, repeat, repent and repeat!" // 7

Overall Impression: Underoath are undoubtedly the kings of their genre, and at this point there is a level of quality that they will live up to. This album is unique in many ways, and there is a lot to love about it. Though Underoath may not be in top form for this album, it is nice to see a band expand it's comfort zone. I can remember drummer Aaron Gillespie saying that the band wound never write a better record than Define the Great Line, and to me so far that statement stands true. However, Lost in the Sound of Separation is proof that Underoath do earn their worth, and that there is still plenty of creativity and explosiveness left for them to explore, as well as plenty of emotional territory to cover lyrically. // 8

Comments