The Changing Of Times review by Underoath

• Released: Feb 26, 2002
Underoath: The Changing Of Times

The music on this CD is very heavy. I'll admit, at first, I thought that the CD was going to be half Dallas Taylor, then half Spencer Chamberlain. But then I listened, and, I realized, "there ain't no way that this has Spencer Chamberlain in it!" Spencer Chamberlain's screams are halfway understandable, while Dallas, you have to cringe, or else have the lyrics, to understand. Nothing against Dallas, in fact my favorite album of Underoath is Act of Depression. But I'd really like to understand what I'm listening to. I've listened to the CD about 5 times already, and I still have much trouble with it. But the actual music is phenominal.

I actually expected more from the lyrics, considering what was in Act of Depression. Pretty much, about half the songs were Dallas' grieving over his fiancee's death, which he accidently made in a car crash. It was because of this, and the fact that the other members wanted to stick to their Christian roots, and not become completely emo or whatever, that they kicked him out of the band. But the songs that didn't have emo lyrics were amazing lyrically. "Angel Below" is an anti-Satan song, "Never Meant to Break Your Heart" was pretty much asking for forgiveness of God. So this album doesn't totally stray from their Christian roots.

It doesn't really compare to other artists, because it's very deep, and not many artists are that deep. In my opinion, the greatest song on the album is "Angel Below", because it's so amazing, but I also love "A Message For Adrienne", a song about a guy who loves this girl, but she hides her love for him, and doesn't know she loves him back. Overcome by grief, he kills himself, and she's feeling remorse because she never told him how she felt. I have the CD, It's on my computer, and on my MP3 Player. So, I doubt very seriously that I'll lose it, but if by some earth-shattering event I do, I'd probably just buy it again so I can eventually have all of the albums.

bulletrocks522
    Im sorry for my last comment. I was just mad, and it made me be a dick. Actually, Spencer is great, and I love DTGL. God Bless!!!!
    xXMCR13Xx
    this album is really inspiring... it will definitly make you think (when you go and read the lyrics... lol you cant understand half of it). Underoath has really grown on me, and has changed my life spiritually... but for anyone whos not sure on buying this is album... id completely recomend it. youll enjoy every second of it.