They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

I bought the album after hearing "Reinventing Your Exit" which is my favourite track. This particular track has half screaming and half singing, so when I chucked on They're Only Chasing Safety I got a bit of a shock. I thought Underoath were a semi-screamo band, but most of the songs on this album turned out to be consisting mainly of screaming. A bit heavier than I was first expecting, but it did end up working in their favour. Underoath is generally labelled screamo in their genre, but I'd have to call them more of an alternative band. They have the typical guitarists, bass, drums, keyboard and vocals but they tie a lot more electrical sounds into their tracks than other competing bands of this genre. The keyboardist is often the melody, atmosphere and soul of the tracks, even if it is just a faint sound heard behind the chaos in the rest of the track.

Underoath uses very deep and meaningful lyrics, but they are far from the typical emo lyrics. When you read along with the songs and think about every line, it becomes clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into the lyrics aswell as the instrumentation. The vocalist has an extremely broad range in styles. He can sing perfectly, then burst into fits of screaming and go back again. This is best shown in "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape." I was very impressed with his skill.

Since Underoath doesn't slot perfectly into any genre, I can't make an accurate comparison but I can say they are good at what they do. My personal favourite tracks were "Reinventing Your Exit," "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" and "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape." But that doesn't mean the rest of the album is crap. I could listen to every song on this album over and over but those particular tracks stood out to me. I love that they've set a new benchmark for their genre of music (whatever that is). Hopefully this album will draw a larger fan base to this genre. I would buy this album again if it were stolen (which is likely, since it's so good) or lost because it's just so unique. In my opinion, if you're a screamo fan, get this album.