They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

Underoath has changed quite a bit since former vocalist Dallas Taylor bailed on them. Spencer Chamberlain stepped up to the mic and in my honest, truthful opinion, did a medicore job. He changed Underoath from a christian death-metal/hardcore (whatever you really want to call them) band into a mediocre emocore band. In spite of the line-up change, they did an alright job on this album, with some good, decent, and downright horrible songs. For the so-so effort, I'll give their sound a three. It's changed far too much, and some for the worst.

The lyrics have changed immensely since Dallas left. They went from half-way emo/semi-emo lyircs to full-on emo. This has a lot to do with their new sound. Although their new lyrics gained them new fans, I have to say, it lost legions of them. The lyrics, although very heartfelt, are extremely cheesy and cliche at times. I've got to give this another average three.

Underoath has just changed too much. They're Only Chasing Safety has some good songs on it, but just isn't up to par with earlier albums. Underoath went from a great christian death-metal/hardcore band to just a mediocre emo band that reaches out to all those Taking Back Sunday and The Used fans. I just can't reccomend this album. Borrow it from your friend if you want to see if you want to buy it, but don't rush to your local FYE, Sam Goody or Virgin Store to get it. It's an average album that gets an average score.