They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

This is extremely dissapointing. The past 3 albums have been nothing less than wonderful. The band has gone through some member changes throughout the years but the sound always stayed true. This album is totally made to go on the radio. It's got more pop influences mixed with some semi-hardcore breakdowns. Many of the songs start with the pop sound and that felling flows through the whole album.

The lyrics in this album are pretty good. Through their whole carrer UO has been a christian band and that shows through their discography. This album is no different in that the lyrics are positive, christian influenced and overall well written.

Listening back on albums like Cries Of The Past, Acts Of Depression and most recently Changing Of The Times, and then hearing this come out with the UO label on it, I am very dissapointed. The songs are warted down and seemingly made to have a video and radio following attached to it. I'm not going to say they sold out or something dumb like that because I don't know what they were thinking when they made this but I hope they don't think it again. Definatly buy an older album instead of this one.