They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

I woke up around 3 am in the morning one night and heard what I thought was a temper tantrum from my baby sister. Then I started to hear terrible guitar riffs and dull drum beats. It the hit me, this is Underoath. I borrowed this album from a friend (I'm a classic rock fan I figured I'd give something new a try). I'm now in the process of organizing a crusade to defeat this style of music and revive the classic rock sound. Why people see Underoath as real music is still a mystery to me but I have too go buy a bottle of ibuprofen after hearing about 2 songs from this band. Music should be an enjoyable experience, not a torturous one.

If I knew what the hell they're singing without inventing a scientific device to decode the lyrics I might give the lyric a 2 just because I'm a nice person, but I don't have the skills to invent such a device. The singer sounds like he's bulemic and is gagging on something over the toilet which is not music to me, apparently it is to some people considering this band even exists. I can't stress how much I hate this band and this whole genre of music (my username describes it all). Don't support this band or this style of music, it is plain trash.

This album belongs to be used as a frisbee, and that might be giving this CD too great of privleges. This is not music. If you play an instrument you should realize this. While these guy's are making money selling the crap they call their music I'm struggling to sell a CD. It's funny how life works.

drmmrboi
    i wanna see these guys scream less then id love em, cuz the last track is my fav
    Modernmusich8er
    OK, the Romans 13:13 proves nothing. I am going back to the main idea. Keep in mind you have to think and interpret a little bit. Rock n roll has always worshipped sex and drugs just like the old saying "Sex,drugs, and rock n roll". It is a tradition to sing about this in rock and in metal they've hailed Satan even more. My college educated uncle wrote a book on the evils of rock n roll. He is an amazingly strong Christian and loves the music at the same time. I read the book he wrote front to back and am even more convinced. Like I was saying. Dark themes, sex, drugs, and Satan have always been prestent in most rock and metal music and I'll even apply Romans 13:13 to this. These themes have always been a tradition and in honest opinion the only 2 people that can change the tradition of this music are Jesus and God himself. I'm not saying you can't play metal and be Christian at the same time, I encourage it. But keep your worship at home and church and out of your music. I know God and Jesus don't want to be praised in a style of music that has upset them for decades.
    Modernmusich8er
    As for me as a person. You hit the nail on the head. I am upset about mediocre musicianship in most modern music being a dedicated musician myself. I have a lot of my life ahead of me and have my priorities straight. I really respect the fact that at the same time I disagree with your views you still take my opinion into consideration and don't use smartass comments. You seem like an intelligent person who can reason with alot of people with alot of different views. That's a good thing to have in your personality. Good for you.
    Exhnozoaa
    Yes, Romans 13:13 wasn't really helpful there, but I included it because I wanted you to support what you say the Bible says with actual verses. The only way it was relevant was that it was one I knew of being against getting drunk which was in examples. There are probably hundreds of books going both ways with whether rock should be able to be Christian. Every one has their own oppinion. If it is okay for people to listen to evil metal and be Christians, why can't they listen to the same kind of music only with out Satan? There are people who have been against God for decades, God still wants these people to praise him. The style of music is no more against God han any other style of music. It is the specific songs that matter. You saw my previous examples, hymns praise God but the style had been against him.
    Modernmusich8er
    I know what you mean. I just find it hard to listen to metal with Christian lyrics. Some people are for it, some aren't. I just happen to be against it.
    Modernmusich8er
    I can't stress how good it is for people like you to be on this site who can explain their opinion without bias.
    binjinpurj
    I just read all of these comments, and I would just like to add on my opinion. As someone said earlier, if you were to add Satan-worshiping lyrics to a traditional gospel-sounding rhythm, would that still make the new Satanic Gospel have the same message as a gospel song? I don't believe so... The cases are the same. Adding Christian lyrics to music that had a background that isn't Christian one doesn't make it de-Christianized. Just my opinion..
    NirvanaFan101
    I AM FOR CHRISTIAN METAL BECAUSE I LOVE UNDEROATH AND I LOVE METAL AND EMO AND SCREAMO AND HARDCORE AND I AM A CHRISTIAN TOO!!!!!
    Exhnozoaa
    If you are from the United States, which I do not know if you are, then lets have another example against your examples: The Star-Spangled Banner, which is our national antem, is put to the tune of an English drinking song. Since that kind of music originally went with drinking alcohol then living in the United States means that you are drunk. I'm sure many old hymns are based off of the same kind of thing as well. If this is correct then Christians must beleive in getting drunk all the time which is also something the Bible says not to do. Romans 13:13 says, "Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy." So if what you say is true, hymns are trying to mix Christianity and drunkeness which also is an oxymoron. The kind of music that it is does not matter, the lyrics are what make it what it is. Gospel music with satanic lyrics would not be considered Christian just because of the style, so screamo should not be considered satanic for it's style. Listen to the whole CD and to the lyrics before you judge the music. If you truely think through them it is not satanic or simply uplifting. These people put more faith into their music than most Christian music seems to.
    ima_tree06
    Okay, I'm going to put my two cents in. Point 1: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews, I become like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I become like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." Granted, that was a little long, but it gets the point across. If you want to reach some of those "satanic metal kids," are you going to expect them to suddenly listen to bluegrass gospel? I don't think so. You have to present the gospel to them in a way they'll understand and accept. Point 2: I respect your opinion, but what you're saying about keeping religion and music seperate isn't right. You shouldn't keep God seperate from anything. He should have control over your entire life. Music is no different. So would you rather Christians be listening to satanic metal music, or the style of music they like with a gospel message? These bands are the only way some people will ever hear about Jesus. Point 3: Saying there is no such thing as Christian metal is like saying that God isn't big enough or powerful enough to use something that started out bad and change it for His good. You're putting limits on God's power. This is the same God that made outer space, ok? Have you looked at the night sky lately??? It's HUGE! His power is way beyond what we can imagine. Using metal for His glory is like picking up an ant for Him. Ok, I'm done now.
    Silverstein444
    Have you heard the new cd yet? Wow it blows this one out of the water even though this is a solid release. The new one is so intense and unpredictable. Oh and just to join in the fun there is nothing wrong with Christian metal. Like someone said sound is neutral it is the message that turns it one way or another.
    Modernmusich8er
    I'm going to make this simple and easy to understand. The international sign of metal are "devil horns" that symbolize the evils (sorry but it's true) of metal. Do you think that God wants you to worship him with something where the fans greet each other with devil horns? I really don't think so. If you think I'm being lazy don't know what I'm talking about I'll go more in depth for you if you like.
    ima_tree06
    Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but what is the point, as a Christian, of starting this discussion? You aren't going to win this argument and neither are we, because you aren't going to change our minds and we aren't going to change yours. All it does is make people angry, doubt their faith, and the non-Christians who are reading this are sitting there thinking "Typical. These stupid Christians can't not argue about anything." And you're not going to change people's minds by insulting their intelligence, I promise you. I put in my opinion, not to try to convince you that you are wrong, that wasn't my intent at all. But I just thought of a couple of things that no one had mentioned yet and thought that it might make a difference to someone who was reading this. If you were trying to be a good witness here, you went about it the wrong way. If you don't like this style of music, just leave it alone.
    Exhnozoaa
    I have read through your posts about other bands. I have decided that you are most likely a musician that plays guitar alone. Also I think you are probably a teenage male. You always talk about how you hate that screamo and emo bands are making more money than you and that more people like them than classic rock and yourself. The bands like Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones have made a large amount of money over the years, probably more than these people. If my assumption about you being in your teens is correct, then you still have a large amount of your life to be recognized for your musical talents. Also, if you were not lying about being a straight-A student, then music is not your only opportunity to become rich. Stop flaming new music, and whining about your lack of fame. If the majority of people now like this kind of music, then this band deserves their fame as much as Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones.
    Modernmusich8er
    Satanism is an art. Marilyn Manson can tell you that. It is also a religion. Metal has always saluted Satanism and to turn that big of a thing around to develop a good image is wrong. Like SweetVampirous said, some lyrics are just uplifting, that's a good thing. But when Christianity and metal music mix the result is just a complete oxymoronic statement. Anyone on my side yet????
    SweetVampirous
    I really like their music, plus they have amazing lyrics and the vocals (both screaming and singing) are among my favorites for screamo-like bands...Though the vocals weren't as good, I like the music in The Changing Of Times cd. These guys are awesome and I can't wait to see them live.
    Modernmusich8er
    wrote: you are an absolute retard modernmusic, no where in the bible does it say that rock and roll is bad and guitar riffs are satanic, music is neutral, its the lyrics that count... you classical music could be turned satanic if u put satanic lyrics in them.... and if you dont like underoath, then dont review them just for the sake of bashing... now have a good day
    Have you even read the bible?????
    <the_last>
    actually yes I have, my dad is a pastor, ive been reading it since i could read, it is was taught me to read
    Modernmusich8er
    Then you would realize it doesn't come out and say it but go to any religios person, hell, even your dad, the whole attitude and theme of rock n roll is far from christian. Bottom line, metal and rock n roll doesn't belong in religion. I'm not saying you're automatically athiest if you play this music, just kepp your music and religion separate(unless you're a gospel singer).
    <the_last>
    my dad loves rock and roll, have you ever heard of praise and worship? nvm im done arguing with you
    Modernmusich8er
    I love rock n roll too, and i'm a christian, i'm just saying rock n roll and all religions should be kept separate.
    Exhnozoaa
    Modernmusich8er wrote: Some say metal music is an art, so is satanism. Really making metal christian is like making satanism christian. Is that really right????
    Satanism is not an art, but assuming your statement is correct then: Poetry is art. The book of Psalms is poetry. Since Psalms is art and so is satanism then part of the bible is satanism according to your logic. And if you're going to say the bible says something, even if it doesn't say it directly, please give us the verses which lead you to your conclusion.
    Modernmusich8er
    it's not, but if they are true christians they would realize they should keep their music and religion separate.
    Modernmusich8er
    It's doesn't come out and say it. Electricity didn't exist then. But the whole attitude and theme of metal has always been dark. Some say metal music is an art, so is satanism. Really making metal christian is like making satanism christian. Is that really right????
    SweetVampirous
    Well I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but they are reaching out to kids which to me is a good thing. I do agree that "Christian metal" is a term that should make someone vanish just for saying it because it is sort of an oxymoron...but its not all "christian" lyrics...some are just uplifting.
    Modernmusich8er
    There is no such thing as christian metal. read the Bible and you'll figure out that rock n roll's attitude and guitar riffs are satanic, no matter how "holy" the lyrics are. I also don't think worshipping is screaming at the top of your lungs. If they want to look like good boys they can just tell the whole world that they go to church. But please, don't waste your time trying to establish a good reputation for yourself, in fact this goes for all christian "metal" bands(As I Lay Dying, Bloodline Calligraphy). In fact don't even listen to the new musicians trying to call their music metal. Listen to classic rock and join my crusade to make the classic rock sound mainstream again!~!!!!!