They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

I love this album. It sends me to sleep, seriously. Everything just blends so well; the sound of Spencer's voice just makes me go wowie. The twiddly guitar bits that fall under the song, little ornamentals you have to strain to hear, add atmoshere to the songs. I just adore how everything fits together. And although most of the songs are pretty easy to play, they're really catchy and fun as well. I really like their break down bits, especially in 'It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door', that choir was just creepy and smart as. Honestly though, this album totally blows my mind. It's quite, thankfully not too much, different from my once favored album of theirs, The Changing Of Times, but they've come a long way and they sound great. They've learned how to give their songs a specific atmosphere, and yet make the meaning of them mysterious as well. Like you'll be listening to it and it'll be happy and jumpy, then it'll go into a slow, minor-keyed break down. I think the song that projects this most is the last track Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape. it seems really sad at first, with the 'Hey unfaithful I will teach you, to be stronger, hey un graceful I will teach you, to forgive one another.' then they really surprise you with one of the last lines, 'Jesus I'm ready To Come home'. This really gives me a feeling of redemption, of being forgiven by someone he loves, and they're ready to let him back. Maybe a girlfriend? I'm honestly not sure. But whatever the entire album's about, it works for me!

The lyrics are quite weird, and a little hard to understand, they come out with really random things. 'I'm a half with boy, cracking a smile and wearing my heart on my sleeve' I think, in Down, Set Go. Also, in Reinventing Your Exit there's a bit that sounds quite 'Oh, what's happening there?' thinks dirty thoughts: 'This is the way, We should have done this, up against the wall up against the wall, you got me up against your wall!' Or 'The Wall', not sure. I think their lyrics let you think what you wanna think. in Reinventing Your Exit, it reminds me of sneaked kisses at school, I don't know why. The songs on Chasing Safety have their own little story lines in them. the only thing is, I wish they were entire stories and not just half told ones! Top notch though.

I really really really love this album. The art work is really cool the weird hospital theme, the songs are amazing, and UnderOATH themselves? Hey, what can I say? They're out of this world. I've tried my hardest not to seem biased because I really liked Underoath before this album came out, but it's hard, because this album kicks bum! You'd be mad not to love it! Well, my favorite songs on Chasing Safety have to be I'm Content With Losing, A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White, and Some Will Seek Forgivenss Others Escape. Everything, from the first track *which has and amazing build up with so lets not even try! To the sad, mournful seeming Some Will Seek. What can I say, it's the best CD I own!

theguitarist
    This isn't the place for this discussion. That's what the forums for. Please keep the disscussion to the album from now on. All off topic comments will be deleted from this point. Checked.
    llama_guitarist
    some of you reviewers have to respect the fact that a band changes over time and i really don't know how you expected it to be similar to their older stuff as they got a new singer, a new bassist, and and a new guitarist. i loved the changing of times but i also like this album a lot. and i really don't see how these lyrics are emo..or how it's emocore...and all these comments are probably the most calm organized decent discussion i've ever seen on UG. except towards the end...