They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

Underoath has been around for a while. Before this CD, they were more known for their metal-sounding music. After losing all original members except for one, they come back with somewhat of an experimental album. Oh, and by the way, this happens to be one of the best CD's you're ever going to hear. Underoath got me hooked on screamo when I started listening to this album. This CD is filled with guitar lines and phrases that'll stay stuck in your head. Tim McTague is an extremely talented guitarist, and he knows how to make some good music. Altogether though, it's just an amazing how all the stuff fits together. Aaron Gillespie's drum beats, subtle keyboards from Chris Dudley, even a children's choir. They really took everything they had and put it into the making of this album.

Underoath can write some pretty cryptic, vague lyrics. Then other times, they're clear as crystal. "A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black Or White" is about a guy who regrets having pre-marital sex with someone. "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" is a powerful song about redemption and desire for peace. And my personal favorite song, "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" is a song filled with emotion with the writer's girlfriend dying in a car accident. Spencer Chamberlain (screamer) is accompanied by Aaron Gillespie's singing, and they make a fine duo. Spencer's screams are some of my favorite out there, just for the good, old throat-shredding sound. Aaron's a fine singer, too.

Underoath stands out from everyone else I listen to just because of their uniqueness and emotion. They really put everything they have into their music, and it shows. It's really impossible for me to put into words everything I love about this album. I know I may sound like I'm ranting, but I have listened to this album for more than a year now, and it still isn't old on me. If this CD did happen to get broken or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. One final note, if you haven't gotten this CD yet, get the special edition. The DVD that comes along gives a great look into the life of the band, plus live concert footage and a music video. Must-have songs: It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door, A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White, Reinventing Your Exit.